PDA

View Full Version : GOP leaders to Georgia mayors: Brace yourself for road revenue pain

Suzanimal
01-27-2015, 10:51 AM
We’re going to have to roll up our sleeves and recognize that there is a greater good

As long as it's for the "greater good"....:rolleyes:

GOP leaders to Georgia mayors: Brace yourself for road revenue pain

Once again, the state’s top Republicans repeated their vow to raise new revenue for transportation projects this year. And once again, they offered little detail on what that solution might be.

That may not be for long. Gov. Nathan Deal said an initial draft of legislation is expected soon. But in the meantime, he and others warned hundreds of mayors at a Georgia Municipal Association meeting that they may not like what they come up with.

House Speaker David Ralston talked of inevitable “disagreements” over the package, while Lt. Gov. Casey Cagle said – only half-jokingly we think – that the association’s lobbyist is already beating down his door.

“We don’t have a choice but to address this issue, and I’m confident we can come together and find a solution we’re all going to be pleased with,” said Cagle. “I didn’t say happy with – I said pleased with.”

Mayors are in a tough spot because many of the options on the table, such as raising the gas tax or sales tax, could potentially cut into their current revenue streams.
The possibility that unnerves many is the likelihood that the legislation allows the state to recoup a portion of the local sales tax on gas, forcing local governments to make up for that revenue elsewhere.

Ralston said to expect “disagreements” over the proposal. And that might be putting it mildly. But he urged the mayors to keep the big picture in mind.

“We’re going to have to roll up our sleeves and recognize that there is a greater good – the future of Georgia – than our own narrow view of things, and protecting our turf and just saying no.” said Ralston, adding: “Naysaying is not an acceptable answer.”

Deal’s role, meanwhile, remains to be seen. He is in a unique position to sway the debate, given that this is his final stint in public office. Although he’s repeatedly talked of the pressing need to raise more transportation revenue, he has so far left the contours of the debate to lawmakers.

That’s not likely to change, at least for the time being. After Monday’s speech, the governor said again he was willing to let the Legislature take the lead.

http://politics.blog.ajc.com/2015/01/26/gop-leaders-to-georgia-mayors-brace-yourself-for-road-revenue-pain/?ecmp=ajc_social_facebook_2014_politics_sfp

nobody's_hero
01-27-2015, 10:19 PM
I'd wager that at least half of the GOP politicians here in Georgia used to be former democrats, including the current governor.

They just wasted money on a 'liberty park' near the capitol which features a mock-up of the liberty bell with the inscription "Dedicated to you, a free citizen in a free land." Obviously the park was built in the wrong country.

And will someone throw a fucking thesaurus at Cagle?:

“We don’t have a choice but to address this issue, and I’m confident we can come together and find a solution we’re all going to be pleased with,” said Cagle. “I didn’t say happy with – I said pleased with.”