PDA

View Full Version : Have You Ever Voted for the WRONG Candidate?

NorthCarolinaLiberty
01-26-2015, 06:09 AM
I voted for Giuliani. Probably 1997. He ran against some councilwoman from Manhattan, whose name probably started with an "M." Al Sharpton was in the race too.

Giuliani, the Nazi, was always telling people what to do. Telling the taxi drivers what to wear. Telling the hot dog vendors where they can stand. Yeah, what a surprise. :rolleyes:

Maybe I should not even be embarrassed. It was New York. Yeah, voting. So?

Anybody change their views over the years? Anybody ever young and dumb and voted for somebody worse than Giuliani?

Todd
01-26-2015, 06:22 AM
too many to count.

TheTexan
01-26-2015, 06:43 AM
Nope. I stand by every single one of my votes with pride.

jbauer
01-26-2015, 07:35 AM
Yup. Bush 2.0. But since then I've got a clean conscious. I either vote FOR someone or against the incumbent.

Ronin Truth
01-26-2015, 07:48 AM
ALWAYS! So finally I just gave it all up.

Koz
01-26-2015, 08:11 AM
Yeah, voted for Bush 2.0 when he ran the first time. That's the last time though. I'm sure I'll be fooled again, but it will be much harder to fool me now.

Origanalist
01-26-2015, 08:13 AM
Jimmy Carter.

JK/SEA
01-26-2015, 10:27 AM
Nope. I stand by every single one of my votes with pride.

so, you're the big reason why everything is fucked up....

noted.

jbauer
01-26-2015, 11:10 AM
so, you're the big reason why everything is fucked up....

noted.

How do you know he/she didn't vote for good all those times? Maybe Dr Seuss for President?

reduen
01-26-2015, 11:21 AM
Voted for Bush both times.. :( I have repented by voting for either Chuck Baldwin or Ron Paul since then. Never another Bush or Clinton for me!!

otherone
01-26-2015, 11:59 AM
ALWAYS! So finally I just gave it all up.

http://cdn.meme.am/instances/500x/58487818.jpg

Philhelm
01-26-2015, 05:27 PM
I appointed Hitler as the Chancellor of Germany back in the day.

euphemia
01-26-2015, 05:32 PM
I have been disappointed by the people for whom I've voted, but I don't necessarily think that means I voted for the "wrong" candidate. The other candidates would not have been any better, and some would have been a lot worse.

Al Gore used to be one of my senators, so I can say that without malice. I was happy to have Fred Thompson go to Washington. Not so thrilled with Alexander and Corker, but even they are better than Al Gore.

willwash
01-26-2015, 05:50 PM
Was a vote for Reagan in 1980 a good or bad vote? (note: I was not yet alive, just wondering what the consensus is)

Origanalist
01-26-2015, 05:57 PM
Was a vote for Reagan in 1980 a good or bad vote? (note: I was not yet alive, just wondering what the consensus is)

My take would be good, it got Carter out of there. Raygun came with his own set of problems and I'm quite certain some here will disagree with me.

pcosmar
01-26-2015, 06:58 PM
Only twice that I was not disappointed in. Chuck Baldwin and Ron Paul write in.

Every other vote has been disappointing.

EBounding
01-26-2015, 07:20 PM
I voted for Bush, Romney in the '08 primaries, and McCain in the general. I also used to be a big supporter of my county sheriff, until I woke up to the police state (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?408071-Michigan-Sheriff-concerned-with-State-Rep-s-Drone-restriction-Bill&highlight=bouchard).

GunnyFreedom
01-26-2015, 07:24 PM
Only Bush2 in 2000 General, and that was holding my nose. Of course he talked like an actual smallgov non-warmonger conservative. Once I saw his walk, that mistake was not repeated.

twomp
01-26-2015, 07:43 PM
yes but my record after 2011 has been pretty good but then again, I haven't been voting for very long

Origanalist
01-26-2015, 07:52 PM
Only Bush2 in 2000 General, and that was holding my nose. Of course he talked like an actual smallgov non-warmonger conservative. Once I saw his walk, that mistake was not repeated.

Guilty also, he didn't get my vote the second time.

ThePaleoLibertarian
01-26-2015, 07:52 PM
As bad as Giuliani was, Sharpton would've been infinitely worse. I can't think of too many candidates worse than Sharptongue.

Bush in 2000 ran on a platform not entirely dissimilar to Ron Paul; small government, low spending, tax cuts, noninterventionist foreign policy, against nation building. It all turned out to be one hundred percent bullshit, but he was an attractive candidate over a decade ago. What doesn't make sense is people who voted for him in 2000, then kept supporting him when he sold out absolutely everything listed above.

twomp
01-26-2015, 08:15 PM
As bad as Giuliani was, Sharpton would've been infinitely worse. I can't think of too many candidates worse than Sharptongue.

Bush in 2000 ran on a platform not entirely dissimilar to Ron Paul; small government, low spending, tax cuts, noninterventionist foreign policy, against nation building. It all turned out to be one hundred percent bullshit, but he was an attractive candidate over a decade ago. What doesn't make sense is people who voted for him in 2000, then kept supporting him when he sold out absolutely everything listed above.

The same can be said of Obama who wanted to pull out of Iraq, repeal the patriot act, curb executive power, rein in the drug laws. They all sound good until they put on the ring of power.

Occam's Banana
01-27-2015, 10:15 AM
I voted for Clinton in '92 - and ONLY because he wasn't Bush.

Lesson learned. I will NEVER vote for the "lesser evil" again.

I haven't voted for a candidate at all since Harry Browne in '96 - and if I ever vote for one again, it will be because I am actually FOR that person, and NOT because I am against someone else. (I did caucus for Ron Paul in my state, but I did not vote in the primary - the primary in my state is purely "cosmetic.")

Xenliad
01-27-2015, 12:20 PM
I made some votes in 2010 that I regret, but I've been good since then.

mosquitobite
01-27-2015, 12:22 PM
Yeah, voted for Bush 2.0 when he ran the first time. That's the last time though. I'm sure I'll be fooled again, but it will be much harder to fool me now.

Same here. Voted for him in 2000 but when he and the Rs had total control and continued to grow government instead of any meaningful reductions - I was done being fooled. That's when I found Ron Paul.

To expand on that though, it's not like the Libertarian party has a stellar record of good Presidential picks either...

As for Congress, I voted for Mourdock even though I truly like Andy Horning (L). So I can vote for lesser evils when I do believe the lesser evil won't be horrific. I think Mourdock would have been a potential ally for Rand. Not so at all with Donnelly...

surf
01-27-2015, 12:26 PM
none. it's why I didn't vote Barr in '08: wanted to keep my streak alive so I wrote in Ron Paul

I always write in folks if I can't decide which candidate is worse.

edit: i've been a libertarian since high school

Southron
01-27-2015, 12:59 PM
I pretty much voted straight ticket Republican from 02-06. Once they proved to be frauds, that stopped. (02 was first election I could vote)

francisco
01-27-2015, 01:10 PM

Ed Clark was the guy to vote for that year. (Although the purists here will say that he was too much of a beltway libertarian).

Believe it or not, David Koch (yes , that David Koch) was his VP running mate. Being on the ticket, he was able to give the campaign mucho cash. No Libertarian since (including Ron in 1988) ever got a higher percentage of the vote.