PDA

View Full Version : Gore wants to Spend $90 Trillion To Ban Cars From Every Major City In The World

Suzanimal
01-23-2015, 03:03 PM
He's super cereal...

http://i.imgur.com/DYXdNqY.png

There's A Plan Floating Around Davos To Spend $90 Trillion Redesigning All The Cities So They Don't Need Cars

Here's one way to solve global warming: Spend $90 trillion (£59 trillion) over the next few years to redesign all the cities — as in all the cities on Earth — so people live in more densely packed neighbourhoods and don't need cars.

That is one of the more ambitious (and possibly outlandish) ideas knocking around the World Economic Forum at Davos, Switzerland, this morning. The Davos meeting is the annual conclave of the world's ruling class: presidents and prime ministers, CEOs, and religious figures (and the thousands of journalists who follow them, hoping for a soundbite or two).

The $90 trillion cities proposal came from former vice president Al Gore and former president of Mexico Felipe Calderon, and their colleagues on the The Global Commission on the Economy and Climate. That group hopes to persuade the world's leaders to do something about humanity's suicidal effort to heat the Earth's climate.

Part of fighting climate change will mean redesigning, or building anew, towns and cities without cars, Calderon says.

"We cannot have these cities with low density, designed for the use of cars," he said. "We recommend those cities should have more density and more mass transportation." Together with a programme for reforming land use, and bringing deforestation to zero, the total cost of this plan would likely be $90 trillion in future investment, Calderon said.

Business Insider spoke briefly with Calderon after the panel, to ask him to explain where this $90 trillion was going to come from, and how exactly one might persuade every city on earth to go along with it.

Turns out the $90 trillion is the total of infrastructure investment that is likely to be spent anyway building and upgrading cities. Gore and Calderon are arguing that it be spent more wisely, to produce cities that don't incentivize people to burn fossil fuels just to get from A to B.

The key will be to persuade the mayors — again, all the mayors on Earth — that designing new cities this way will be vastly preferable to the old way, in terms of efficiency and prosperity for their residents. "The mistake we made in Mexico was to let cities develop however they want, and it's a mess," Calderon told Business Insider. "It's in their [the mayors] best interests" not to repeat that "mistake," Calderon said.

The main problem is that mayors are not widely aware that the cost of designing cities sustainably in the future may be cheaper than the cost of letting development run unhindered and car-focused.

You can read more of the Gore/Calderon GCEC plan here and here.

Read more: http://uk.businessinsider.com/plan-to-spend-90-trillion-redesigning-cities-without-cars-2015-1?r=US#ixzz3PgFsUUx2

enhanced_deficit
01-23-2015, 03:12 PM
If there were no cars, trucks on the road at all, my dream of riding a motorbike could come true. As long as Gore doesn't ban those either.

tod evans
01-23-2015, 03:19 PM
Well.........................He did invent the interwebs after all......:rolleyes:

Dr.3D
01-23-2015, 03:21 PM
I think it would be much cheaper to ban Al Gore from the environment.

Chester Copperpot
01-23-2015, 04:10 PM
I think Brazil did something like this with their construction of their capital of Brasilia back in the 1960s. they called them superblocks... (im going on a memory from like 3rd grade when i did a report)... Now I dont know how well it worked out for them.. but people are always going to want to travel.. even to do mundane things.. it somehow makes the destination more worthwhile.

Danke
01-23-2015, 04:29 PM
I think North Korea provides the blue prints.

DamianTV
01-23-2015, 04:38 PM
There were three key words missing in the title. " of YOUR MONEY". Its always ok to do when its someone elses money.

Acala
01-23-2015, 04:46 PM
Excellent! The more idiotic Al Gore's statements become, the less credibility he has. And someday he will fade away.

JK/SEA
01-23-2015, 04:54 PM
well, i think what needs to happen is World War 3. Empty out those big cities, re-vamp, start populating again. The downside is we must all die first...so...

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?467276-Doomsday-Clock-Could-Move

VIDEODROME
01-23-2015, 04:59 PM
Honestly, I wish there was a way to make this work. Even aside from environmental concerns, adding more lanes so more people can sit in congested traffic is ridiculous. It would also be great if a revolution in transportation can mean less driving in the damn snow.

In large cities, I could almost picture layers of Subway and Skyway(elevated) rail. Also on the ground level, less cars free up room for pedestrian or bicycle/scooter traffic.

I guess I'd say I'm sympathetic to Gore's vision, but not his methods. He should team up with Civil Engineers and City Planners to create a comprehensive plan and pitch it to cities around the world with their individual transportation challenges and try to show them real solutions. Instead, he seems more like the type to lean on people with the backing of groups like the U.N..

euphemia
01-23-2015, 07:28 PM
Al Gore is one of the biggest hypocrites alive today. I wonder how he sleeps at night.

DamianTV
01-23-2015, 07:51 PM
Al Gore is one of the biggest hypocrites alive today. I wonder how he sleeps at night.

He genuinely believes that when he forces his opinions on people, he is doing "the right thing" because we are all stupid mundanes that can not think for ourselves and can not survive without him telling us what to do.

ThePaleoLibertarian
01-23-2015, 08:09 PM
Well, at least he's staying realistic...

HVACTech
01-23-2015, 08:10 PM
Excellent! The more idiotic Al Gore's statements become, the less credibility he has. And someday he will fade away.

gotta LOVE this logic..

do something about humanity's suicidal effort to heat the Earth's climate.
:rolleyes:

ThePaleoLibertarian
01-23-2015, 08:11 PM
He genuinely believes that when he forces his opinions on people, he is doing "the right thing" because we are all stupid mundanes that can not think for ourselves and can not survive without him telling us what to do.
Yeah, there are two kinds of liberals: the kind who genuinely think that the average person is good, intelligent and helped by their statist prescriptions, and those who think the average person is a fool and that enlightened "progressive" politicians can govern their lives better than they can. Al Gore is the latter.

osan
01-23-2015, 08:16 PM
$90T? That's not the problem. Theye could simply "print" as much as they need.

The problem, then, is time. It would take at least 100 years to accomplish it.

Another problem: We would burn far more fuels making the changes than would have been burnt by all the automobiles milling about.

Gore and this ilk are wholesale nitwits. Had they any knowledge of industrial processes and what it takes to produce materials and equipment for such endeavors, they would realize that the idea is not even remotely sound. The production of steel is very energy intensive. I'd have to look it up, but I would imagine every ton of steel requires at least four to five tons-equivalent of fuel. Doesn't matter whether it is a coal- or gas-fired blast furnace, reverberatory, induction, or what have you. It takes a LOT of energy to melt a ton of iron. The largest chunk of steel I have ever brought to welding temperature was about 30 pounds and to stand before it and feel the heat it throws off is to experience a profound revelation about the true nature of things.

Ceramics is also very energy intensive - firing bricks for example, takes enormous heat energy not only because it has to get hot enough to vitrify, but because it must come to temperature SLOWLY in order not to cause failures in the bricks themselves. They must soak long enough that they all vitrify at pretty well the same time, meaning long times at temperature so that the heat normalizes.

I could go on, chapter and verse, for literally volumes. To fundamentally restructure even a very small town like Hinton, WV (used to live there) would represent a large commitment of resources. To do it in a place such as LA or NYC would represent a staggering volume.

These people who vomit hairball ideas like this into the world's lap are not mentally sound. They talk their big ideals with less than zero knowledge of that which they speak. I am yet again prompted to wonder what in hell is wrong with the people of this world that they do not take such persons and, at the very least, lock them into padded cells for the remainders of their lives in order to save the rest of humanity. It is this apathy, this will to hide from uncomfortable truths, this rank and stinking cowardice that has brought humanity mechanized war, nuclear weapons, weaponized biological agents, and so on. The average man is a truly miserable and wretched thing, perhaps fully deserving of his abject slavery. But what of the rest? There, my friends, is the rub.

osan
01-23-2015, 08:18 PM

I hate to break this to you, but for the most part he is right. Were it otherwise, does anyone think that this is the world we would have? Would sane, rational, self-respecting people choose a world such as this? IDFTS.

euphemia
01-23-2015, 08:21 PM

Actually, what he believes is that he should be the only one on the road and the rest of us should get out of his way.

osan
01-23-2015, 08:21 PM
I think Brazil did something like this with their construction of their capital of Brasilia back in the 1960s. they called them superblocks... (im going on a memory from like 3rd grade when i did a report)... Now I dont know how well it worked out for them.. but people are always going to want to travel.. even to do mundane things.. it somehow makes the destination more worthwhile.

IIRC, Brazilia is a textbook study in failed urban design. At one time, as I recall, entire sections of that city had lain abandoned. Could be I am confusing it with another city, so don't quote me before looking it up.

ThePaleoLibertarian
01-23-2015, 08:22 PM
I hate to break this to you, but for the most part he is right. Were it otherwise, does anyone think that this is the world we would have? Would sane, rational, self-respecting people choose a world such as this? IDFTS.
You're spot on. The "average person" is a complete disgrace, but that doesn't mean that a big state can effectively run their lives. Not that you're saying that, but it's what Gore and his odious ilk believe.

osan
01-23-2015, 08:32 PM

No pal. The more idiotic his statements, the greater the degree of idiocy to which the meaner becomes inured at first, and later begins to accept as reasonable.

If we could take our tardis back to 1960 and attempt to disseminate into the greater culture some of the now seemingly innocent things from this time, we would be hunted and killed in an instant, for to those people it would be as if we were recommending we all rape small children, only 10000000000000000000000000000x worse. But the distortion of the concept of "tolerance" has guided the mean man right to the place those doing the guiding wanted it to go. Today, the population at large exists in a state of fair to middling psychosis. Their frames of reference for judging that which is sound v. that which is not, have been so grossly degraded as to be nearly unrecognizable from what it was at one time. The majority live in a fantasy world that has very little connection with reality. But that may one day be exposed in the wake of some cataclysmic event, whether artificial or natural. At that time, the vast wad of humanity will find itself in a real pickle because they know not the first thing about the real world, theirs existing on some pink cloud where people calling themselves "The Kardashians" bitch and holler about all manner of inanities... or so I have been lead to believe (I've never seen such a show and have no need to ever abuse my retinas with such cruelty).

osan
01-23-2015, 08:45 PM
You're spot on. The "average person" is a complete disgrace, but that doesn't mean that a big state can effectively run their lives. Not that you're saying that, but it's what Gore and his odious ilk believe.

Well, yes, this is also true. That's the part that really underscores and exposes the nature and degree of Theire mental illness. No matter how many times this brand of brain fart fails, Theye are always horny to give it one more try, apparently thinking "this time we will do it right..." And every time the idiot meaner takes the bait. It will be the same with the '16 elections. The nitwits will be all fired up for another dose of "hope and change", will take another HUGE penis in that place never meant to host such objects, will bitch about it, and by the time the next cycle is up, will be all worked up once more. I swear to God it just stones me to bear witness to the raging, howling insanity that gallops roughshod across the face of the globe like the Four Horsemen all rolled into a single juggernaut of dripping, wheezing lunacy.

For those of you who hold out hope for the future of the masses living this day, you are fooling yourselves. Most of us have no chance of a life that to my eyes is even remotely worth living. We have been, the most of us, reduced to states of mere existence, the standards of which are whittled more thinly every single day.

The saddest thing is that even if we were to rise up and butcher every tyrant on the face of the globe tomorrow morning, it would guarantee us nothing, for we are become a race of fools. Empire has destroyed us - and make no mistake about it, we ARE destroyed - and we do not see it, nor do we want to. Were we to acknowledge this on the mass scale needed, we would then be obliged by all decency to act upon it and that is just too much work. Even I suffer from the rot, as I sit here like a fucking idiot pointing out the painfully obvious to people who, like myself, will never do a God damned thing to put the world right beyond talking, commiserating, and theorizing. Honestly, I'm not even sure why I bother anymore. Maybe it just makes me feel less alone.

HVACTech
01-23-2015, 08:52 PM
I swear to God it just stones me to bear witness to the raging, howling insanity that gallops roughshod across the face of the globe like the Four Horsemen all rolled into a single juggernaut of dripping, wheezing lunacy.

reported.

conspiracy to heat the climate.

(for those who might not be aware. my ENTIRE industry is devoted to, "heating the climate" if such a thing is possible)

:toady:

acptulsa
01-23-2015, 10:04 PM
Actually, what he believes is that he should be the only one on the road and the rest of us should get out of his way.

Just like the peasan--er, I mean noble New Soviet Workers used to do for Kruschev--or else!

euphemia
01-23-2015, 10:27 PM
Gore is an idiot. How is it better for the enviornment for people to live in concentrated areas? Wouldn't that produce more garbage and more pollution? Wouldn't that require that most greenspace be paved over for sidewalks and railways? Wouldn't that mean that beautiful, historical architecture be replaced with ugly, utilitarian dormitory-style housing?

That would make perfect sense if the purpose is to limit familiy sizes and keep people from being upwardly mobile in their lives.

Maybe the first thing big planned city should be right in Carthage, Tennessee. He can donate his family estate for the first experiment.

CaptUSA
01-23-2015, 10:32 PM
This guy was a couple of hanging chads away from the Presidency. Not saying the alternative was better, but damn...

Origanalist
01-23-2015, 10:56 PM
I'll just carry my ladders, planks, tools and equipment on the bus from now on.

Anti Federalist
01-23-2015, 11:55 PM
Gore is an idiot. How is it better for the enviornment for people to live in concentrated areas? Wouldn't that produce more garbage and more pollution? Wouldn't that require that most greenspace be paved over for sidewalks and railways? Wouldn't that mean that beautiful, historical architecture be replaced with ugly, utilitarian dormitory-style housing?

That would make perfect sense if the purpose is to limit familiy sizes and keep people from being upwardly mobile in their lives.

Maybe the first thing big planned city should be right in Carthage, Tennessee. He can donate his family estate for the first experiment.

You are right.

Because all of this...ALL of this...has nothing at all to do with "saving the environment".

It is about getting all of humanity into tightly controlled and highly monitored blocs of humanity.

Think: 1965 era Soviet housing flats, on a global scale, festooned inside and out with modern surveillance equipment.

Small landholders and self sufficient farms will be a thing of the past when these people's dreams come to fruition.

Except for the elite of course.

They will still have their luxury dachas in the woods or seaside.

Anti Federalist
01-23-2015, 11:59 PM
IIRC, Brazilia is a textbook study in failed urban design. At one time, as I recall, entire sections of that city had lain abandoned. Could be I am confusing it with another city, so don't quote me before looking it up.

Your "housing" is on the left, comrade.

https://wnninterviewsociety.files.wordpress.com/2012/03/023-brazil-slumnextoluxury-saopauloimagedavidfenng.jpg

euphemia
01-24-2015, 12:00 AM
On the flip side, it would solve the problem of Justin Beiber drive-by terrorizing his neighborhood.

Anti Federalist
01-24-2015, 12:03 AM
Well, yes, this is also true. That's the part that really underscores and exposes the nature and degree of Theire mental illness. No matter how many times this brand of brain fart fails, Theye are always horny to give it one more try, apparently thinking "this time we will do it right..." And every time the idiot meaner takes the bait. It will be the same with the '16 elections. The nitwits will be all fired up for another dose of "hope and change", will take another HUGE penis in that place never meant to host such objects, will bitch about it, and by the time the next cycle is up, will be all worked up once more. I swear to God it just stones me to bear witness to the raging, howling insanity that gallops roughshod across the face of the globe like the Four Horsemen all rolled into a single juggernaut of dripping, wheezing lunacy.

For those of you who hold out hope for the future of the masses living this day, you are fooling yourselves. Most of us have no chance of a life that to my eyes is even remotely worth living. We have been, the most of us, reduced to states of mere existence, the standards of which are whittled more thinly every single day.

The saddest thing is that even if we were to rise up and butcher every tyrant on the face of the globe tomorrow morning, it would guarantee us nothing, for we are become a race of fools. Empire has destroyed us - and make no mistake about it, we ARE destroyed - and we do not see it, nor do we want to. Were we to acknowledge this on the mass scale needed, we would then be obliged by all decency to act upon it and that is just too much work. Even I suffer from the rot, as I sit here like a fucking idiot pointing out the painfully obvious to people who, like myself, will never do a God damned thing to put the world right beyond talking, commiserating, and theorizing. Honestly, I'm not even sure why I bother anymore. Maybe it just makes me feel less alone.

That's about it.

And recording the events for future generations.

mrsat_98
01-24-2015, 03:37 AM

Come on dude he did invent the internet.

Occam's Banana
01-24-2015, 04:40 AM
Here's one way to solve global warming: Spend $90 trillion (£59 trillion) over the next few years to redesign all the cities — as in all the cities on Earth — so people live in more densely packed neighbourhoods and don't need cars.

That is one of the more ambitious (and possibly outlandish) ideas knocking around the World Economic Forum at Davos, Switzerland, this morning. The Davos meeting is the annual conclave of the world's ruling class: presidents and prime ministers, CEOs, and religious figures [...]

In other words, the sort of people who, under the Gore-Calderon scheme, will NOT be forced to live cheek-to-jowl with the unwashed masses ...

AngryCanadian
01-24-2015, 05:22 AM
A terrible plan.
Yet somehow gore is protecting the major manufacturing industries which they are the ones whom are producing the smog and gases yet somehow cars are responsible for the earth's climate changes?

LOL.

Oh and yeah what you think happens if the earth runs out of oil? do you think the earth will run as normal? dont count on it.

osan
01-24-2015, 07:49 AM
And recording the events for future generations.

Perhaps, but to what end? We have thousands of years of such recordings, much of it very good. What has any of it gained us? Nothing, that I can see. We still tolerate the strong man. We still volunteer to be either his bully-boy or his wide-mouthed bitch. What is the point of doing the same thing over and over in the hope that this time the result will be different? And the more capable our technologies, the less becomes the already non-existent hope that such change will come.

Rather than coming to rational conclusions regarding what actions to take, the vast majority of people now appear to choose full-retard modes of reacting to the insanity rising about them as a poisonous and raging tide. Man will declare and even curse those in all manner of ways who speak rationally. It is so strange to observe the open insanity of the typical human being. How is it, for example, that a presumably rational adult will accept the notion of killing a fellow human being in defense of self and other property when that fellow threatens life or wallet, yet brands anyone as "dangerous" or otherwise and somehow a "criminal" if they suggest we throw from our necks those who damage us in ways far more egregious. How, pray tell, is it in any way rationally consistent to say it is OK to shoot a home intruder but not apprehend and try the members of so-called "government" when they threaten far more dangerously and broadly with their "ayes" and "nays"? This is not the position of mentally sound people, but rather a clear indication of deep affliction.

And why, pray thee further tell, is this syndrome of behaviors not documented in the DSM, if that is supposed to be the go-to reference for the diagnosis of mental illness?

Mr. We're, please meet Mr. Fucked.