PDA

View Full Version : Let's Pay for 'Free' Community College by Taxing College Savings!

Suzanimal
01-20-2015, 10:23 AM
Let's Pay for 'Free' Community College by Taxing College Savings!

President Barack Obama's State of the Union Address tomorrow proposes $320 billion in taxes over the next 10 years. Pretty much every new story is presenting it as "increasing taxes on the wealthiest" to pay for programs to help the middle class. That's bad enough. It's not like he's proposing increasing taxes to pay for fundamental government operations. It's just a wealth transfer to cover the "costs" of offering up tax credits to famillies with two working parents (screw you, stay-at-home moms and dads!). But beyond that, Americans for Tax Reform looked at the package and point out several ways these tax increases are going to potentially come back and hurt others besides the richest among us.

Obama previewed his plan for "free" community college for students seeking associate's degrees a couple of weeks ago. The administration has put a price tag of $60 billion over 10 years for it (which means it's likely to be much higher). Part of how Obama plans to pay for it is to tax the special saving funds, called 529 plans, that people can use to gather money to pay for their children (or themselves) to go to college:

Under current law, 529 plans work like Roth IRAs: you put money in, and the money grows tax-free for college. Distributions are tax-free provided they are to pay for college.

Under the Obama plan, earnings growth in a 529 plan would no longer be tax-free. Instead, earnings would face taxation upon withdrawal, even if the withdrawal is to pay for college. This was the law prior to 2001.

As you may recall, I argued that Obama's "free community college" plan was a subsidy for college administrators and bureaucrats, not students. Nothing could make my analysis more clearly true than to literally tax people's college savings in order to give more money directly to colleges.

Read more analysis from Americans for Tax Reform here.

http://reason.com/blog/2015/01/19/lets-pay-for-free-community-college-by-t

Bryan
01-20-2015, 09:55 PM
bump

jclay2
01-20-2015, 10:58 PM
Last year I put a lot of money into this type of account for my first daughter. Until, this legislation gets axed, I don't think I will add any new investments here. Thanks government for the uncertainty.

jbauer
01-21-2015, 10:15 AM
Last year I put a lot of money into this type of account for my first daughter. Until, this legislation gets axed, I don't think I will add any new investments here. Thanks government for the uncertainty.

Nope, if this has any legs this entire industry is dead. Why would anyone invest in a 529 without the tax benefits? More regulation with the same abilities as any other normal account. Frankly when you add in the grant money it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to save at all.

acptulsa
01-21-2015, 10:20 AM
The nine hundred pound gorilla in the room is that free community college will simply ensure that kids get the same free education in fourteen years that we used to get for free in twelve years. All the extra two years gets you is the same amount of knowledge you used to have to know in order to graduate high school.

specsaregood
01-21-2015, 10:37 AM
Nope, if this has any legs this entire industry is dead. Why would anyone invest in a 529 without the tax benefits? More regulation with the same abilities as any other normal account. Frankly when you add in the grant money it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to save at all.

I think that is the point. Punish the people that were/are responsible enough to save for college; reward the people that didn't. Bill it as taxing the "rich". Freaking disgusting. War on savers!

CaptUSA
01-21-2015, 10:57 AM
The whole reason I have a 529 is so that the growth isn't taxed. If that goes away, so does my involvement.

I suspect I am not alone.

Which means that there will not be enough money in 529's to tax to offset the costs (as if that mattered anyway).

rpfocus
01-21-2015, 11:06 AM
The nine hundred pound gorilla in the room is that free community college will simply ensure that kids get the same free education in fourteen years that we used to get for free in twelve years. All the extra two years gets you is the same amount of knowledge you used to have to know in order to graduate high school.

Truth. It will just turn CC's into 13th and 14th grade. Obama has an almost comical obsession with giving away free stuff.

otherone
01-21-2015, 11:24 AM
https://sp.yimg.com/ib/th?id=HN.608021847470574117&pid=15.1&P=0

Occam's Banana
01-21-2015, 12:21 PM
Obama has an almost comical absolutely contemptible obsession with giving away free other peoples' stuff.

FTFY