PDA

View Full Version : Des Moines (iowa) Register excludes Ron Paul!

nevesis
12-03-2007, 08:44 PM
For the past 2 days the Des Moines register has listed the viewpoints and "Register ratings" of all Presidential candidates on their editorial pages.

Ron Paul has been excluded from these lists. Yet Tom Tancredo, who is polling considerably lower and has garned much less in fundraising, was not excluded.

I have previous written a number of letters to the editor of DM Register regarding their lack of coverage for Ron Paul, and while they have called me to verify that I wrote the letters, they have not even printed any of those!

To quote the Register's explanation of the lack of RP coverage:
"Picking six on the Republican side was less clear-cut, but the deciding factor was time spent in Iowa. An example: At mid-week, Tom Tancredo had made 85 campaign stops in Iowa this year, five times as many as Ron Paul, who didn't make the cut. Tancredo trails only Mitt Romney and is about even with Mike Huckabee in number of stops. Do realize that the package prompting your e-mail didn't appear on a news page; it's editorial commentary, where we do make judgments. Dr. Paul has received significant news coverage in the Register."

Of course, if you search for Ron Paul on the Des Moines register, you'll find one "letter to the editor" and a couple of blips about him in an article about the latest Iowa polls. No "significant news coverage."

So -- please contact:

EDITORIAL PAGE EDITOR CAROL HUNTER (515) 284-8020 or chunter@dmreg.com.

PRESIDENT AND PUBLISHER LAURA HOLLINGSWORTH (515) 284-8041 or publisher@dmreg.com

VICE PRESIDENT, EDITOR CAROLYN WASHBURN (515) 284-8502 or cwashbur@dmreg.com

MozoVote
12-03-2007, 08:46 PM
Looks like they're going to stick to their guns on this.

Paulitician
12-03-2007, 08:48 PM
It's utter BS. They'll use whatever reasons they can to exclude Ron Paul.

dircha
12-03-2007, 08:51 PM
How much would it cost to buy up a couple full pages of ads in their little paper?

I'm sure they will dance for money. They're journalists afterall, and not particularly honest ones from the look of it.

nevesis
12-03-2007, 08:53 PM
How much would it cost to buy up a couple full pages of ads in their little paper?

I'm sure they will dance for money. They're journalists afterall, and not particularly honest ones from the look of it.

That's a real good question. I'll look into that and see if we can't raise something online. The Register is the state's most widely read newspaper, and we need Iowa.

MozoVote
12-03-2007, 08:57 PM
There is a thread on starting a chip-in for a competing ad, through the United For Liberty PAC here:

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=45936

Vendico
12-03-2007, 09:02 PM
Flood their phonse until they do.

John of Des Moines
12-03-2007, 09:58 PM
Flood their phonse until they do.

DON'T flood their phones or email. My sources at the DMR is that there is blowback for every "Gee, you're stupid for not covering Paul" it just makes it that much harder for Paul to coverage from them. A nice polite short note why you support Dr. Paul works better then fore-mentioned blowback producing correspondence.