PDA

View Full Version : Scientific Study: Interrogators Can Trick People into Falsely Believing They Committed Crimes

BarryDonegan
01-20-2015, 01:17 PM
New research from the scientific journal Psychological Science suggests that, in just three hours, an interviewer can convince most people to falsely believe that they committed a crime that never actually took place.

http://benswann.com/scientific-study-interrogators-can-trick-people-into-falsely-believing-that-they-committed-crimes/

CaptUSA
01-20-2015, 01:28 PM
Julia Shaw said her research could be helpful in identifying the types of interrogation techniques that lead to false confessions and convictions, “Understanding that these complex false memories exist, and that ‘normal’ individuals can be led to generate them quite easily, is the first step in preventing them from happening. By empirically demonstrating the harm ‘bad’ interview techniques – those which are known to cause false memories – can cause, we can more readily convince interviewers to avoid them and to use ‘good’ techniques instead.”

Interesting. Although, I suspect this will be used by defense attorneys as a way to throw out confessions. It might even help a lot prisoners get a new trial.
Could be really cool if this study gets repeated and confirmed.

tommyrp12
01-20-2015, 04:17 PM
Mind Manipulation: Ancient and Modern Ninja Techniques (http://www.amazon.com/Mind-Manipulation-Ancient-Modern-Techniques/dp/0806523832)

This is a cool and informative book that will help you defend your senses against psychological attacks and prepare for physical ones as well. It even has a section on police and military interrogation techniques. Here is a small section about implanting false memories.

http://i638.photobucket.com/albums/uu107/bentom187/ninja_zps95cf7239.jpg

http://i638.photobucket.com/albums/uu107/bentom187/ninja1_zpse83fb370.jpg

DamianTV
01-20-2015, 05:39 PM
http://i.imgur.com/hx6Ts06.png

ghengis86
01-20-2015, 06:00 PM
Interesting topic. Do you think that the 'modern' education/propaganda/engineered society has led to hollow shells of people with no convictions of their own that will accept any contrived belief or norm presented to them by a supposed authority? Is that not the elite Marxist goal; to produce a maleable population free of any personal beliefs so that they can be filled with whatever their masters wish?

Is it identifying the traits of the participants in the Milgram experiments,and cultivating those in the general population? If so, it would put up a pretty clean canvas for interrogators to paint their false memories. I look around and see supposedly smart and educated people accept some pretty outlandish ideas just b/c someone presented a polished, sharp argument, even if it is completely asinine.

idiom
01-20-2015, 06:49 PM
Interesting topic. Do you think that the 'modern' education/propaganda/engineered society has led to hollow shells of people with no convictions of their own that will accept any contrived belief or norm presented to them by a supposed authority? Is that not the elite Marxist goal; to produce a maleable population free of any personal beliefs so that they can be filled with whatever their masters wish?

Is it identifying the traits of the participants in the Milgram experiments,and cultivating those in the general population? If so, it would put up a pretty clean canvas for interrogators to paint their false memories. I look around and see supposedly smart and educated people accept some pretty outlandish ideas just b/c someone presented a polished, sharp argument, even if it is completely asinine.

Nah was an evolutionary side effect. Being maleable and conformist increases your ability to maintain a large herd and thus improve the survival of your off-spring.

For example, beliefs in strong fundamentalist forms of religion have massive correlation to high birth rates. Evolution doesn't care, it just wants babies that survive long enough to make more.

Your personal identity has always been a pretty fluid thing, and has been manipulated by the charlatans or even the naive well meaning for millenia.

Mach
01-22-2015, 01:17 AM
“A reliable way to make people believe in falsehoods is frequent repetition, because familiarity is not easily distinguished from truth. Authoritarian institutions and marketers have always known this fact.”
- Daniel Kahneman

Habit (repetition), whether voluntary or forced, will always lead to a change.... habit over time becomes second nature, second nature over generations becomes, DNA. ;)

Mach
01-22-2015, 01:26 AM
I look around and see supposedly smart and educated people accept some pretty outlandish ideas just b/c someone presented a polished, sharp argument, even if it is completely asinine.

Evolution doesn't care, it just wants babies that survive long enough to make more.

That always seems to be humans greatest weakness..... their SELF.

Mans most disagreeable habits and idiosyncrasies, his deceit, his cowardice, his lack of reverence, are engendered by his incomplete adjustment to a complicated civilisation. It is the result of the conflict between our instincts and our culture.
- Sigmund Freud

Analyse any human emotion, no matter how far it may be removed from the sphere of sex, and you are sure to discover somewhere the primal impulse, to which life owes its perpetuation. ... The primitive stages can always be re-established; the primitive mind is, in the fullest meaning of the word, imperishable. - Sigmund Freud, 1915

CONSCIOUSNESS is an electrochemical function of the nervous system. Insert a new chemical into the brain and CONSCIOUSNESS changes radically.
- Sigmund Freud

pcosmar
01-22-2015, 07:02 AM
This has always been the use of torture..

From the Crusades and Inquisitions to present.

ghengis86
01-22-2015, 08:13 AM
This has always been the use of torture..

From the Crusades and Inquisitions to present.

Yes, but I think they've moved from physical torture of the individual to mental torture of the masses. It's more subversive, yields better results and deals with that pesky problem of killing an idea versus killing a man; afterall, you don't need to kill any cattle if you can replace their ideas with your own.