PDA

View Full Version : [VIDEO] Rand Commemorates Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

Matt Collins
01-20-2015, 09:47 AM
Press release:

ICYMI: Sen. Paul Commemorates Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

WASHINGTON, D.C. –Yesterday, Sen. Rand Paul joined in commemorating the life and legacy of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. A clip and transcript of his remarks can be found below.

CLICK HERE TO WATCH SEN. PAUL’S REMARKS (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaxanhpNGfE&feature=youtu.be)
https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/?ui=2&ik=5a2b6f0f30&view=fimg&th=14b0803c6cf5899a&attid=0.3&disp=emb&attbid=ANGjdJ8krdBeurKNa1JBi8Kgiv3y4xzS5ms_2RDgOBD hVbQc0Q0xxIvumlW-Uopd3YX9C_vpW2RAMR5V7IyqWwm9Uzher0Zy8woLys309FyyTT u13KHXqECLjH2l5oY&sz=w706-h398&ats=1421768758459&rm=14b0803c6cf5899a&zw&atsh=1 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaxanhpNGfE&feature=youtu.be)

TRANSCRIPT:
In his 1967 address to Stanford University, Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. spoke of two Americas. He described them as, "two starkly different American experiences that exist side by side."

In one America, people experienced "the opportunity of life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness in all its dimensions." In the other America, people experienced a "daily ugliness" that dashes hope and leaves only "the fatigue of despair."

The uneasy coexistence of the two Americas is brought to bare by the deaths of Eric Garner and Michael Brown.

Although I was born into the America that experiences and believes in opportunity, my trips to Ferguson, Detroit, Atlanta, and Chicago have revealed that there is an undercurrent of unease.

Congressman John Lewis, who heroically marched in Selma, still sees two Americas. He writes: "One group of people in this country can expect the institutions of government to bend in their favor, no matter that they are supposedly regulated by impartial law.”

The other group:
"Children, fathers, mothers, uncles, grandfathers . . . are swept up like rubbish by the hard unforgiving hand of the law. They are offered no lenience, even for petty offenses, in a system that seems hell-bent on warehousing them by the millions . . . while others escape the consequences of pervasive malfeasance scot-free."

We need to notice and be aware of the injustices embedded in our criminal system, but we shouldn't be misled to believe that excessive force is the norm not the exception, that most police are conscientious and want only to provide safety for us.

The blame should be directed to the laws and the politicians who order police into untenable positions, that insist on "taking down" someone for selling a couple of untaxed cigarettes.

Our pursuit of justice should not obscure the fact that on many occasions, good people do step forward to find justice.

This past fall, Helen Johnson was desperate to feed her two daughters and their small children who had gone two days without food. When she got to the store, she discovered that the $1.25 she had was not enough to buy eggs. She was a mere fifty cents short, so she stuffed the eggs in her pocket.

Helen didn't even make it out of the store before the police were notified.

When Police Officer William Stacy arrived, something special happened. Instead of handcuffing Helen and taking her to jail, he used discretion and compassion to mete out justice. He warned Helen not to steal again and he bought her the eggs himself. Helen saw Officer Stacy again on Thanksgiving Day. He delivered a truckload of groceries to Helen’s home. Her grandchildren were overjoyed and proclaimed that they have never seen so much food in all their life.

It isn’t hard to find injustice around us, but we must not let injustice smear the good deeds that do occur everyday.

I noticed the undercurrent of unease a few months after the shooting death of Michael Brown, while I was in Ferguson. This is a tension that has become visible in the protests in every major American city.

Congressman Lewis also sees it. He writes, "There is a growing discontent in this country. And the fires of frustration and discontent continue to grow without redress. “ Congressman Lewis fears for peace within our country.

I am optimistic, but peace will only come when those of us who have enjoyed the American Dream become aware of those who are missing out on the Dream.

The future of our country will be secure when we break down the wall that separates us from "the other America."

Let’s wish Dr. Martin Luther King a happy birthday by uniting the two Americas into one: an America that includes justice for one, and justice for all.

Click HERE (http://time.com/3671819/sen-rand-paul-eric-garner-and-michael-brown-and-the-uneasy-coexistence-of-two-americas/) to read these remarks as featured in TIME.

Vanguard101
01-20-2015, 03:28 PM
Meh. I'm black, but he needs to tone down his pandering.

NIU Students for Liberty
01-20-2015, 03:41 PM
I should have known, Rand is nothing but a communist sympathizer :rolleyes:

jmdrake
01-20-2015, 03:46 PM
I should have known, Rand is nothing but a communist sympathizer :rolleyes:

LOL. Like I said in another thread. I made it through MLK day without the usual smears. So smear away. Happy Day after Martin Luther King Day RPF!

NIU Students for Liberty
01-21-2015, 02:44 PM
LOL. Like I said in another thread. I made it through MLK day without the usual smears. So smear away. Happy Day after Martin Luther King Day RPF!

I was being sarcastic, just figured I'd preview what I thought was coming from our residential commie hunters.

LawnWake
01-21-2015, 03:50 PM
Meh. I'm black, but he needs to tone down his pandering.

From an ideological standpoint of yours or from a practical one?

jmdrake
01-21-2015, 04:07 PM
I was being sarcastic, just figured I'd preview what I thought was coming from our residential commie hunters.

Oh it's cool.