PDA

View Full Version : Boehner Foes get Gavels, Not Punishment as loyalists complain

RandallFan
01-19-2015, 03:07 PM
As Republicans try to foster unity at a joint retreat here, frustration is boiling over among allies of House Speaker John Boehner that his biggest detractors are being rewarded with promotions, even after trying to overthrow him (http://www.nationaljournal.com/congress/boehner-beats-the-rebels-but-the-fight-isn-t-over-20150106) in a coup earlier this month. The latest controversy comes as Rep. Louie Gohmert, who directly challenged Boehner for the speakership, announced on Thursday that he was given the chairmanship of the Natural Resources Oversight and Investigations Subcommittee.

"This is a major slap in the face," said one Boehner-allied GOP House member, speaking anonymously to talk candidly about the conference's internal dynamics.

http://www.nationaljournal.com/congress/boehner-foes-get-gavels-not-punishment-20150116

Gohmert outranks Bishop in seniority, but was passed over for the full committee chairmanship, a decision made by the Republican Steering Committee, which is heavily controlled by Boehner.)

Gohmert was never going to be full committee chair anyway.

" 'They are never going to like you,' " the member said, describing the message to Boehner.

Some members are furious that Rep. Randy Weber, who recently got into hot water after comparing President Obama to Adolf Hitler and who voted against Boehner, was given the gavel of the Science, Space and Technology Subcommittee on Energy. Another Boehner detractor, Rep. Jim Bridenstine, will head the Science Subcommittee on Environment.

Also, I don't think Boehner was going to kick Bridenstine off his regular slot on Armed Services.

acptulsa
01-19-2015, 03:17 PM
He's doing it right. Regardless of what else you think of him, Boehner knows how to build coalitions and grow the GOP.

And I think this counts as another vote that the future of the party is paleo and conservative, and not neocon. Let the Democrats start all the wars. They historically have more practice.

FSP-Rebel
01-19-2015, 03:36 PM
Even tho these cmte assignments are merely side shows imo and not very important, it is a little weird how Boehner is doing things considering his past track record of being an insider. Has he had an epiphany or something or is this just all fake?

GunnyFreedom
01-19-2015, 04:17 PM
As much as I dislike Boehner, this was the correct move. Given his history of punishment, one has to wonder if our raising hell had an impact on this behavior? If he sat down and really thought about it, he would have to realize that part of what made him so hated that the 'coup' was even plausible was his retribution in 2012-2013.

As for the whiners, get stuffed. You are what's wrong with America.

mosquitobite
01-19-2015, 04:41 PM
Wonder how many are thinking "damn, I wouldn't have suffered if I had voted against the @$$?" LOL!

twomp
01-19-2015, 08:36 PM
i wonder how much Boehner got paid to do this. Maybe a few friendly "donations" to his re-election fund? None of these politicians have a mind of their own. They are controlled by an outside influence.