PDA

View Full Version : TN State Senate Considers Bill to Ban Cops from Using Military Equipment

BarryDonegan
01-19-2015, 12:58 PM
http://benswann.com/tn-state-senate-considers-bill-to-ban-cops-from-using-military-equipment/

As a nationwide debate rages over police militarization, the Tennessee Senate is considering a bill that would ban police agencies from owning or using military vehicles, weapons, and aircraft while enforcing laws in Tennessee.

tod evans
01-19-2015, 01:04 PM
Didn't I read a weak or so back that someone introduced a bill in Tenn. to abolish the kops ability to steal cash on the roadside too?

Could this be drafted by the same folks?

If so I'm interested in learning more about them.......

Matt Collins
01-19-2015, 01:08 PM
Sen Kelsey is part of the problem... he voted against a bill to stop unconstitutional gun control in TN:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vbcm5Uy0iTc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vbcm5Uy0iTc

Keith and stuff
01-19-2015, 01:37 PM
http://benswann.com/tn-state-senate-considers-bill-to-ban-cops-from-using-military-equipment/

As a nationwide debate rages over police militarization, the Tennessee Senate is considering a bill that would ban police agencies from owning or using military vehicles, weapons, and aircraft while enforcing laws in Tennessee.

I'm glad to see Sen. Kelsey pick up on my NH bill. Unfortunately, we failed to get it passed in NH pre-Ferguson. Still, the NH bill has been reintroduced, a Congressman Hank Johnson introduced a similar bill in Congress ,and now TN is getting into the action. I'd love to see this spread to all states!

Keith and stuff
01-19-2015, 01:41 PM
Sen Kelsey is part of the problem... he voted against a bill to stop unconstitutional gun control in TN:

He seems slightly better than average. GOA and several gun activists tried to stop him when he first ran for the TN Senate. He had backing from Young Republicans and we couldn't keep him out :( I still sorry we lost that race. Now, it seems he is safely locked in his seat.

phill4paul
01-19-2015, 01:41 PM
I'd rather see a bill allowing citizens to use military equipment but I guess I take what I can get.

Matt Collins
01-19-2015, 01:50 PM
He seems slightly better than average. GOA and several gun activists tried to stop him when he first ran for the TN Senate. He had backing from Young Republicans and we couldn't keep him out :( I still sorry we lost that race. Now, it seems he is safely locked in his seat.
No, he's worse than average.

Watch that video in my post above and you'll see why

Keith and stuff
01-19-2015, 02:48 PM
No, he's worse than average.

Watch that video in my post above and you'll see why
I've been following him sense before he was elected to the TN Senate. He does good and bad things. I'd already watched the video. I'm also aware of his voting record (as you are likely too).

CaptainAmerica
01-19-2015, 02:57 PM
I hope it passes

jmdrake
01-19-2015, 03:08 PM

Then take that up next time he's up for re-election. In the meantime this bill sounds like a good one. Also this illustrates the benefits of ballot initiatives over representative democracy. You can support the particular initiative you like without having to support the person who sponsored it.

jmdrake
01-19-2015, 03:10 PM
Note I've seen one of these MRAPs way out in Hickman County. That place makes Mayberry look like New York. Imagine Barney Fife with an MRAP.

Matt Collins
01-19-2015, 04:48 PM
Then take that up next time he's up for re-election. We tried that, the GOP kicked our guy off the ballot (admittedly he wasn't the best candidate being the current LPTN Party Chair)

In the meantime this bill sounds like a good one. Also this illustrates the benefits of ballot initiatives over representative democracy. You can support the particular initiative you like without having to support the person who sponsored it.We are playing a long game here, not a short term victory.

1- Bad legislators should not be promoted for having some occasionally good legislation. Kelsey is the establishment, he does their bidding. The trick is to make him appear as awful as possible to the voters so that he is easier to boot in the next election. Getting him on record doing good things makes that harder to do.

2- Ballot initiatives are much harder to get passed and less easier to control. Plus they are very expensive to play in. Doing things through the legislature is the best way as long as you know which levers to hit at which time... it is the lowest hanging fruit.

jjdoyle
01-19-2015, 04:54 PM
We tried that, the GOP kicked our guy off the ballot (admittedly he wasn't the best candidate being the current LPTN Party Chair)

We are playing a long game here, not a short term victory.

1- Bad legislators should not be promoted for having some occasionally good legislation. Kelsey is the establishment, he does their bidding. The trick is to make him appear as awful as possible to the voters so that he is easier to boot in the next election. Getting him on record doing good things makes that harder to do.

2- Ballot initiatives are much harder to get passed and less easier to control. Plus they are very expensive to play in. Doing things through the legislature is the best way as long as you know which levers to hit at which time... it is the lowest hanging fruit.

Bad legislators? So, this guy is establishment, introducing what appears to be an anti-establishment bill? And clearly you haven't taken enough political courses to understand "playing the game". If a bad legislator wants to introduce a good bill, you run with it. And you then endorse the bad legislator, in hopes of a favor (or, favors) being returned.

CPUd
01-19-2015, 05:00 PM
It won't happen here. If it banned all new purchases and grandfathered the old ones, it may have a remote chance of passing.

Matt Collins
01-19-2015, 05:05 PM
Bad legislators? So, this guy is establishment, introducing what appears to be an anti-establishment bill? And clearly you haven't taken enough political courses to understand "playing the game". If a bad legislator wants to introduce a good bill, you run with it. And you then endorse the bad legislator, in hopes of a favor (or, favors) being returned.
Only in very special and limited circumstances.

Keith and stuff
01-19-2015, 05:52 PM
Then take that up next time he's up for re-election. In the meantime this bill sounds like a good one. Also this illustrates the benefits of ballot initiatives over representative democracy. You can support the particular initiative you like without having to support the person who sponsored it.

Good point. The guy that introduced the Congressional bill about police militarization is a horrible Congressman, Rep. Hank Johnson. I will support his bill if there is ever any serious traction, just like I supported the original bill in NH. Hopefully, some of the folks in TN will support this bill.

As for reelection, GOA tried to stop him from getting elected. We supported an older, more well known candidate. But the Young Republicans and whomever else pushed hard for him. Every election he gets harder to beat. I don't see that happening anytime soon.

Also, ballot initiatives are generally used to grow government. Even when things pass, they are sometimes ignored. Direct democracy could work efficiently on a town level if a large percentage of the voters in the town supported freedom. Unfortunately, I don't know of any towns like that in the nation.