PDA

View Full Version : New regulations coming for back seat belt alarms.

Anti Federalist
01-19-2015, 12:40 AM
Backseat Saaaaaaaaaaaaaaaafety!

by eric • January 18, 2015 • 7 Comments

http://ericpetersautos.com/2015/01/18/backseat-saaaaaaaaaaaaaaaafety/

Soon, you won’t even be able to toss a gym bag on the back seats. Well, not if you want to avoid the dreaded – and relentless – “buckle up for safety” buzzer. Which the government is about to mandate shall be wired into the back seats now, too.

For the children.

There is, you see, an epidemic (well, they want you to so see) of kiddies who furtively unbuckle themselves – unbeknownst to the parents up front. This, the Safety Cult cannot abide. Hence – and even if you don’t have kids – your next car (assuming you’re still willing to buy one) will come with the buckle-up buzzer in both rows.

Up to now, the buzzers have only been wired into the driver’s and front seat passenger’s seats.

“Wired” meaning not just designed to shriek at you like Hillary Clinton if you (or your passenger) don’t immediately put on the got-damned seatbelt – even if you’re just rolling the car down the driveway to the mailbox – but also meaning it’s wired into the (also mandatory) airbag system. Which means that almost any pressure sensed in the seat – such as that exerted by the weight of a laptop, or even (I am not exaggerating) a foot-long hoagie from Subway – will be “sensed” as an unbuckled occupant. And trigger the got-damned buckle-up buzzer. Ding! Ding Ding! Saaaaaaaaaaafety!

You either buckle-up your hoagie – or put it on the floorboards.

Until they put sensors there, of course.

So now, the backseats aren’t safe. For hoagies, that is. Or laptops or backpacks or bags of groceries. Unless they’re buckled up, too. Which is no joke. That’s exactly what the “experts” think you ought to do. Because unbuckled groceries might flop around in the event of an accident – which is always imminent in the frantic minds of the Safety Culters. Even if you haven’t had one in 30 years. Or ever.

But you might.

And that might justifies all these very actual interventions – from random sobriety checkpoints to dragnet-style eavesdropping on us.

Someone might be drunk driving.

Or – possibly – a terrorist.

A few years back, when this teeth aching proposal first surfaced, the hoary archbishop of the Safety Cult – Ralph Nader – and something called Advocates for Highway and Auto Safety whinnied to NHTSA that “289 lives could be saved” (italics added) if backseat buzzers were mandated in all new cars.

This is about five times less than the number of people who actually do die annually in the United States as a result of stumbling (and subsequently, falling). Really. See here, if you don’t believe me.

Logically, shouldn’t the priority be that instead? Or rather: If the roughly 16 million cars sold each year in the United States must be fitted with backseat buzzers in order to save a hypothetical 289 lives, why on earth is it still legal for anyone to walk around without a personal airbag strapped to their body?

Or at least, a buzzer to warn them of potential stumbling hazards?

Saaaaaaaaaafety!

Did you know that it is now considered “free range” parenting to allow your kid to walk down the street by himself to his friend’s house? And that Child Protective Services will probably be sicced on you, if you do allow it? You’re supposed to strap him into the minivan – soon, no doubt, with a helmet also strapped on – and drive him the half mile to his friend’s house. To be “safe.” Because of the one in a million shot that Chester the Molester might be lurking in the bushes. Danger, danger, everywhere.

Society has gone nuts. Which is bad news for the few who are still sane.

Back in 2005, Hunter Thompson blew his brains out – because he knew what was coming, Indeed, what was already here.

I am beginning to understand.

kcchiefs6465
01-19-2015, 07:11 AM
The car I'm in now immediately dings when put into drive and will not STFU until the seat belt is buckled. Normally it's a ding every few seconds.... this one is ding ding ding ding ding... if words could possibly describe how damn annoying it is. I'm actually going to be going to a pull a part here pretty soon, and cutting me a seat belt 'male.'

Not sure if it's just a fuse (which probably is wired to other things, if that's what it is) and the car is under warranty so I don't want to go messing with it.

specsaregood
01-19-2015, 07:38 AM
or even (I am not exaggerating) a foot-long hoagie from Subway

hell, mine goes off when I put my hand on the passenger seat going around corners and what not.

phill4paul
01-19-2015, 07:48 AM
Which means that almost any pressure sensed in the seat – such as that exerted by the weight of a laptop, or even (I am not exaggerating) a foot-long hoagie from Subway – will be “sensed” as an unbuckled occupant. And trigger the got-damned buckle-up buzzer. Ding! Ding Ding!

Amen, me an the ole lady were pretty beat the other night so decided to buy a pre-made bake at home pizza. I used the new Subaru and the weight of the pizza on the seat set the alarm in motion. SMDH.

I'm actually going to be going to a pull a part here pretty soon, and cutting me a seat belt 'male.'

I've wondered myself if this will work.

kcchiefs6465
01-19-2015, 07:01 PM
I'll let you know.

Don't see why not.

Uriel999
01-19-2015, 07:09 PM
My truck doesn't buzz...if it did, well the buzzer would find itself under my tires...then I'd do a burnout.

DaninPA
01-19-2015, 07:15 PM
God, what I wouldn't give to have my '67 Dart again.

Uriel999
01-19-2015, 07:29 PM
God, what I wouldn't give to have my '67 Dart again.

Yes, yes I agree! My first car was a 1967 Dodge Dart GT convertable. I got it my sophomore year of high school around 2001. My dad and I restored it and I'd be driving that old thing right now if he had not sold it when I was in boot camp. I periodically check ebay and auto trader in hopes I see one like it from time to time.

Anti Federalist
01-19-2015, 08:03 PM
I'll let you know.

Don't see why not.

On most it will work.

Some, bless their computer brains, have sensors on the belt reel to confirm the belt reel is extended.

Slave Mentality
01-19-2015, 08:32 PM
Amen, me an the ole lady were pretty beat the other night so decided to buy a pre-made bake at home pizza. I used the new Subaru and the weight of the pizza on the seat set the alarm in motion. SMDH.

http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f77/disable-seatbelt-chime-10909/index4.html

Never hear it again. Works for about all Subarus.

Anyone else driving a 2004 +/- vehicle can also do a search for "disable seatbelt chime your make/model", or if you are driving a real fancy whip search "your make/model car hacks". There is all kinds of hidden stuff in the ECU/BCU of a modern car.

08 Subaru WRX/STi - No seatbelt chimes. Disabled tire pressure monitoring system, which was mandatory 08+. When I push the traction control button it enables it, which is the opposite of how it was OEM. I turn traction control on rather than off. Who needs traction control when your front, rear, and center diffs are LSDs for chrissakes? I turn it on in bad weather. The only nanny state item I haven't tinkered with is ABS, as that is alright by me. At least there is no tracking crap and all that.

IIRC Chrysler/Fiat products have the same process for disabling as the Subies except you only have to click the belt 3 times vs. the ridiculous 20 times the Subaru engineers thought was cute.

I will never buy a car newer than my 08. Looking to stay fuel injected, but will probably start looking for a pre '98 car (OBDI). You guys talking about carbureted V8s are going to give me nightmares about fouled plugs and the endless search for that perfectly sized secondary jet, endless hours of turning distributors whilst looking at timing lights pulsing on harmonic balancers, keeping cans of ether on the shelf, and well you see what I am saying. Electronic engine management is all good. It the other bullshit that can piss off. No ECU data on a '67 anything though, which is good. :)

ChristianAnarchist
01-19-2015, 08:36 PM
The car I'm in now immediately dings when put into drive and will not STFU until the seat belt is buckled. Normally it's a ding every few seconds.... this one is ding ding ding ding ding... if words could possibly describe how damn annoying it is. I'm actually going to be going to a pull a part here pretty soon, and cutting me a seat belt 'male.'

Not sure if it's just a fuse (which probably is wired to other things, if that's what it is) and the car is under warranty so I don't want to go messing with it.

I stopped wearing my seat belt when they told me the "law" says I have to (about 20 years ago). Until then I ALWAYS wore it because I know that in an accident you are better off with it on. I have definitely proved on thing though, it's not "seat belts" that save lives, it's NOT GETTING INTO AN ACCIDENT!!!

I rent alot of cars and there are only a few out there that really make me buckle up (or buckle up behind my back). Most will ding for a few miles and then shut up. It's usually not too annoying if it will shut up after a bit. On my own cars if they are too annoying I disable them. ;)

euphemia
01-19-2015, 08:44 PM
Oh great, so I'm a grandmother with four grandchildren who live a long way away. If I have a booster seat in the back for one of the kiddos who needs it, I won't be able to drive unless the thing is buckled. Awesome.

What would be great is if the seat belt alarm would go off only if it was buckled and then unbuckled when the car was in gear. I guess that's too much to ask of some design engineer who went to school on my tax-funded student loans.

DamianTV
01-19-2015, 08:53 PM
Slaves pay for their own Chains.

Couple in the idea that most of these Cars now regularly send out information on you. Its something else you get to pay for. Then you get these alarms, which I am sure every time they are set off will eventually result in higher Auto Insurance Premiums, again, hiding behind the guise of "obedience for your own good". So what could falsely trigger a Back Seatbelt Alarm?

- Adults
- Groceries
- Dogs
- TV
- Moving
- Sports Equipment
- Camping
- Job Related Equipment like Tools

I have a better idea. Just make Back Seats illegal.

heavenlyboy34
01-19-2015, 10:57 PM
Did you know that it is now considered “free range” parenting to allow your kid to walk down the street by himself to his friend’s house? And that Child Protective Services will probably be sicced on you, if you do allow it? You’re supposed to strap him into the minivan – soon, no doubt, with a helmet also strapped on – and drive him the half mile to his friend’s house. To be “safe.” Because of the one in a million shot that Chester the Molester might be lurking in the bushes. Danger, danger, everywhere.

:eek: OMFG. The present is SO full of fail. :( These safety nazis would wet themselves if they knew of all the "unsafe" things kids routinely did as recently as a mere 20-25 years ago. SMFH. I wish there was a way to keep nancy boys out of gov'ment and regulatory agencies. :P

heavenlyboy34
01-19-2015, 10:58 PM
Slaves pay for their own Chains.

Couple in the idea that most of these Cars now regularly send out information on you. Its something else you get to pay for. Then you get these alarms, which I am sure every time they are set off will eventually result in higher Auto Insurance Premiums, again, hiding behind the guise of "obedience for your own good". So what could falsely trigger a Back Seatbelt Alarm?

- Adults
- Groceries
- Dogs
- TV
- Moving
- Sports Equipment
- Camping
- Job Related Equipment like Tools

I have a better idea. Just make Back Seats illegal.
Ban humans, obviously.

oyarde
01-20-2015, 01:07 AM
I used to use the back seat belt in my Impala to strap in an extra 30 pack so it did not slide off onto the floor .And here I thought these features were wasted before .

DamianTV
01-20-2015, 02:41 AM

This is Monopoly on Belief.

They talk about the Exception but never the Norm, and that causes a perspective Normalcy Bias to be altered.

So lets shortly list the things they don't talk about. They dont talk about the days you do NOT need insurance. They dont talk about the numer of times you crossed the street, by yourself and were NOT hit by a car. Or did NOT hit your head while riding a bike or a skateboard without a helmet. They dont talk about the number of people that smoke and do NOT have cancer (yet). They dont talk about the fast food you eat that is NOT contaminated. Or number of plane flights that do NOT crash, or mountain climbing expeditions where people do NOT die, or are NOT bitten by dogs or lions or tigers or bears, oh my. On the other side of the coin, when someone wins the Lottery, they dont talk about the number of people that do NOT win anything. They dont talk about the number of people that paid shit loads of money for an education that did NOT help them find a job. They dont talk about the number of times people have unprotected sex and do NOT get pregnant.

When they only mention the Excpetion but not the Norm, they are FEARMONGERING.

dannno
01-20-2015, 02:46 AM
“Wired” meaning not just designed to shriek at you like Hillary Clinton

lol