PDA

View Full Version : Police admit using photos of real people for sniper practice

amy31416
01-17-2015, 05:01 PM
I'm sure nobody here will be surprised, but can you imagine how PO'd you'd be?

Police admit using photos of real people for sniper practice after woman sees bullet-riddled photo of brother

POSTED 1:24 PM, JANUARY 17, 2015, BY CNN WIRE, UPDATED AT 01:36PM, JANUARY 17, 2015

(CNN) — You go for some target practice, look down the firing range and see at the other end that one of the targets is — your brother, an old photo of him.

National Guardswoman Valerie Deant was devastated to see her brother Woody’s image pierced by police sniper bullets, she told NBC6 in an exclusive report.

But his photo wasn’t the only one of an African-American being used for target practice last November. There were six bullet-riddled mugshots of black males at the range.

Racism?

No, says North Miami Beach Police Chief J. Scott Dennis. Two of his snipers were using them for target practice — one of them is Hispanic, and the other a black male of Haitian descent.

Their target, a row of black men, which the snipers left behind at the stand, was one of many. There are also groups of white males, Hispanic males and white women.

Picking the target carefully

There are 22 images in all, including a white man holding a gun to a white woman’s head and one of now-dead al Qaeda leader Osama bin Laden. “The same target inventory has been used for more than a decade,” Dennis said in a statement.

The idea is to have an array of photos with faces that look similar, so the sniper can practice exactly picking out the right target and avoid killing the wrong person in a real-life situation, Dennis said.

The department uses mugshots of people they arrested 10 to 15 years ago, and Woody Deant was one of them. Deant told NBC6 that he was booked after a deadly drag race. He has walked the straight and narrow ever since, he said.

“I can sympathize with the family discovering their brother’s photo on the target,” Dennis said.

Dennis became aware of the family being upset in late December and ordered an investigation. It turned up no violations of law or department policy.

But things will change. “We realize how important this issue is during today’s climate,” Dennis said.

Snipers will no longer use mugshots of people they have arrested, but instead will buy practice pictures from commercial vendors.

And they are instructed from now on to destroy their targets after they’re done.

Dr.3D
01-17-2015, 05:04 PM
I wonder how the police would feel if people started using pictures of them at the range.

Origanalist
01-17-2015, 05:05 PM
But things will change. “We realize how important this issue is during today’s climate,” Dennis said.

As opposed to yesterdays climate. :rolleyes:

phill4paul
01-17-2015, 05:05 PM
And if you used this photo?

http://lapd.com/news/headlines/JeffCorbincreatesNewTVSeriesMedalOfValor_LAsthePal ce_101510.jpg

How long before you were beaten and imprisoned?

Origanalist
01-17-2015, 05:06 PM
I wonder how the police would feel if people started using pictures of them at the range.

Righteous indignation. after all, they are the good guys.

Dr.3D
01-17-2015, 05:07 PM
Righteous indignation. after all, they are the good guys.
We are the good guys.

Christian Liberty
01-17-2015, 05:12 PM
lol!

Origanalist
01-17-2015, 05:16 PM
We are the good guys.

When you are the enforcement arm of the State, those that oppose it aren't the good guys. We are the enemy.

Kotin
01-17-2015, 05:18 PM

great point.. there would be a shit storm to be sure.. food for thought.

Dr.3D
01-17-2015, 05:19 PM
When you are the enforcement arm of the State, those that oppose it aren't the good guys. We are the enemy.
Yeah, war on us.

They should be careful, they could lose a lot of money if we started being more careful and avoided their revenue collection endeavors.

Origanalist
01-17-2015, 05:21 PM
Yeah, war on us.

They should be careful, they could lose a lot of money if we started being more careful and avoided their revenue collection endeavors.

Well, I do my best to do just that. But not always successfully. :mad:

amy31416
01-17-2015, 05:24 PM
Yeah, war on us.

They'd just come up with new ways and raid more houses.

navy-vet
01-17-2015, 06:28 PM
WOW, I can't even imagine that doc...:eek:

2young2vote
01-17-2015, 06:41 PM

Turrerist

CaptainAmerica
01-17-2015, 08:46 PM
desensitization. these fuckers are sickening

William Tell
01-17-2015, 08:52 PM
As opposed to yesterdays climate. :rolleyes:

Climate change ftw.:cool:

Anti Federalist
01-17-2015, 09:21 PM
Snipers will no longer use mugshots of people they have arrested, but instead will buy practice pictures from commercial vendors.

http://cloudfront-assets.reason.com/assets/mc/_external/2013_02/little-boy-with-real-gun-court.png

amy31416
01-18-2015, 11:27 AM
http://cloudfront-assets.reason.com/assets/mc/_external/2013_02/little-boy-with-real-gun-court.png

That's not a real person!

Ronin Truth
01-18-2015, 11:29 AM
It's easier to shoot fake people photos.

phill4paul
01-26-2015, 09:26 AM
Florida police used mugshots of black men for target practice. Clergy responded: #UseMeInstead.

The idea originated on a closed Facebook group for Lutheran clergy, where pastors were discussing how North Miami Beach’s police department had been caught using mugshots of actual people for target practice. Let’s send in our own photos for target practice, the pastors decided.

So Rev. Lura N. Groen of Houston created a Facebook event, and, along with Gonnerman and others, invited friends to post pictures of themselves in their clerical clothing. Soon, people — many, but not all of them, clergy — began tweeting images using the hashtag #UseMeInstead.

The effort was “motivated by our service to Christ and his call to love our neighbors,” Gonnerman told The Post.

“We initially started thinking if a whole lot of us, in our clergy collar and worship attire, sent our photos to them, it would make a really powerful statement,” Rev. Kris Totzke, a pastor in Texas, told The Post. “Then, it really snowballed, and we got people all over the country and of all different faiths.”

The images of pastors, monks and others wearing clothing that in part symbolizes peace and love are intended to be striking, to cause people pulling the trigger to think twice.

“It’s such a desensitization thing, that if you start aiming at young black men, and told to put a bullet in them, you become desensitized,” Gonnerman said. “Maybe, to change the picture, it’s you know what, dare ya, shoot a clergy person.”

They now have a stack of 8-by-10 #UseMeInstead photos, mostly of white pastors who are hoping to serve as allies in the fight against racism. And even though city officials and police chief J. Scott Dennis have apologized for the department’s use of the mugshots, Gonnerman said she planned to mail 66 of those photos to the department over the weekend.

“Essentially,” she said, “we’re saying: We’re watching, we’re paying attention to this.”

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2015/01/25/florida-police-used-mugshots-of-black-men-for-target-practice-clergy-responded-usemeinstead/