PDA

View Full Version : Less Federal Government

WCR
12-03-2007, 07:11 PM
Hi,

I <3 RP. but I do got some questions, that I just can't find. If Paul doesn't believe in the Federal Governemnt encroaching on state problems, then that means the Civil Rights Acts and Voting Right Acts that helped bring black people to vote. I mean 40 years ago we had segeration and because of these laws, our society has come to terms with the past. Without government intervention, how would've we've solved the problems where states where discriminating against black/minoritiy people.

Also, under his economic policies, how will we be able to stop monoploies? That is the one thing that scares me.

These are just some thoughts that are floating around in my head, and I just wanted to hear what people think/know about his stances on these issues.

thanks

Corydoras
12-03-2007, 07:27 PM
First, I think monopolies are enabled by regulation, not freed by deregulation. The phone companies and airlines have not merged into a giant monopoly under reductions in regulation. High regulation makes it very difficult for new business to start up.

As for civil rights legislation, I discussed this here:
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=41196
In short, I think civil rights legislation is a recognition of a societal consensus, not creates it.

I don't think Ron Paul can roll back civil rights legislation. I just don't think Congress would allow it. On the other hand, I think he would let states do more of the enforcement rather than making the Justice Department do the heavy work.

WCR
12-03-2007, 08:06 PM
But look at Wal-Mart and Enron. With de-regulation of the gas market, Enron swept the market up and became the head one and became a monopoly causing energy problems in California and purposely misleading consumers with staged blackouts. Now I am all for de-regulation, but with Paul's theory, don't all business have to play nice? Also, in this day in age with franchising and whatnot, isn't it inevitable for some kind of monopoly to form within each market?

Also, when Paul talks about amending the Constution if we want to make it constitutional or not, more often then not, how it is really possibe? Does he honestly believe that the states will volutntaliry give up their power? Like with slavery, and I'm not trying to intice anything, but it would be impossible to get an amendent on the Constitution because of the fact that the South would never let that happen.

I mean, these are all examples of how maybe government gave a little push to society, and said "you gotta do it this way".

I don't know, I might be dead wrong, that is why I'm asking.

Ragnar
12-10-2007, 10:40 PM
... Like with slavery, and I'm not trying to intice anything, but it would be impossible to get an amendent on the Constitution because of the fact that the South would never let that happen.

I mean, these are all examples of how maybe government gave a little push to society, and said "you gotta do it this way".

I don't know, I might be dead wrong, that is why I'm asking.

I think you have some good questions. The hard part about answering some of them is that we will just never know what WOULD have happened if things had been different.

But I can at least give you some food for thought. Let's take the slavery issue, for example. This is one that Ron Paul has explicitly addressed, so I'm not just making up what I think he might say about it (see his first appearance on Bill Maher http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xo6KIusCBoU.)

At about the 1:50 mark of the above video, Ron Paul points out that "every major country in the world got rid of slavery without a civil war except us." So the point here is that there is always more than one way to solve a problem. In this country, the civil war path was taken, but many countries found an alternate solution that apparently worked just as well.

Personally (and consistent with a small-l libertarian perspective), I think using the power of coercive force is the WORST way to address any societal issue.

You can also look at examples like Hillsdale College -- which is an independently funded (they take NO government money whatsoever) institution that was admitting blacks long before it became a politically popular idea in the halls of Congress.

There are always forward-thinking individuals who will solve problems literally decades before the government can spend billions of dollars to study it to death. The best way to facilitate societal change is to lead by positive example. And when change is for the better, those who adapt first will reap the rewards first, and the mechanisms of the free marketplace will let those people rise to the top.

PennCustom4RP
12-11-2007, 01:05 AM
Keeping slaves is economically unfeasible in todays day and age. Imagine what it would cost to feed, clothe, and house one slave, let alone many (for comparison, look at the cost of prisoner upkeep) . This is why businesses work us for an 80 hour work week, pay us enough to survive, and leave us to fend for our upkeep during the few hours we have off, home with our families. I wouldn't worry of any chance in the return of slavery here in the US, it just costs too much.

nickcoons
12-11-2007, 10:04 AM
Also, under his economic policies, how will we be able to stop monoploies? That is the one thing that scares me.

Let's say that you own a business and you're a monopoly that sells widgets, so you charge whatever you want because no one exists to undercut your prices. Someone entrepreneurial-minded like myself comes along and sees the gobs of money you're making in your industry and decide that I want to get started. The first thing I do when I open up shop is to sell my widgets less than you're selling yours, so consumers start buying from me. You see what's going on, so you cut your prices. This goes back and forth until both of us have cut prices as much as we possibly can and still make a profit worthwhile of staying in business.

Monopolies rarely exist in a free market; and when they do, they are short-lived. If a monopoly exists, and exists for a long time, it's because consumers are satisfied with the goods and services it provides. If the company gets out of line and starts overcharging, someone comes along (for the reason mentioned above) and starts undercutting them, abolishing their monopoly status.

Regarding an amendment to the Constitution and states giving up their powers, well, we've amended the Constitution 17 times since the Bill of Rights, including once that abolished slavery, so it does happen.

Bruce
12-11-2007, 11:28 AM
But look at Wal-Mart and Enron. With de-regulation of the gas market, Enron swept the market up and became the head one and became a monopoly causing energy problems in California and purposely misleading consumers with staged blackouts.

People always bring up the California energy crisis when discussing these issues, you should look into it some more because it's not as clear cut as you think it is.

Ragnar
12-12-2007, 03:19 AM
... The first thing I do when I open up shop...

Well, first of all, you'll need to buy licenses and get permits. That's going to take a while and set you back a bit. :)

I'm just pointing out (to those who haven't thought enough about it) that the best barrier to competition is government regulation.

The only real monopolies we have are those run by the government. For example, where I live, the government runs a ferry system and FORBIDS competition.

Brutus
12-12-2007, 08:56 AM
It always amazes me how government finds these perfect angels to tell the rest of us what to do. Where do they find these people?