PDA

View Full Version : 88-year-old doctor treats the poor out of his Toyota Camry. Mississippi wants to punish him

Suzanimal
01-16-2015, 04:34 PM
:mad:

88-year-old doctor treats the poor out of his Toyota Camry. Mississippi wants to punish him for it.

In small-town Mississippi, where poverty is endemic, transportation is limited and a trip to the emergency room can lead to financial ruin, an alternative exists for those in the know.

His name is Dr. Landrum — Carrol Frazier Landrum — and, even if your pockets are empty, the 88-year-old physician from Edwards, Miss., will schedule you for an appointment.

For the last two years, Landrum has been working without an office, but he’s happy to meet his patients wherever they are. Sometimes, the meetings occur in a home; sometimes they take place in a parking lot. Other patients meet the doctor on the side of a quiet country road — or inside his 2007 Toyota Camry.

The location doesn’t matter because Landrum, a World War II veteran who has been in private practice for more than 55 years, believes it’s his duty to help anyone who calls on him.

“I’ve always had a heart for the poor,” Landrum told The Washington Post this week, struggling to hold back tears. “I grew up poor, and when the doctor would come to us, and he was happy to see us, I pictured myself doing that some day. I try not to ever turn people away — money or no money – because that’s where the need is.”

But his work may soon come to an end.

Landrum said he’s being asked by the Mississippi State Board of Medical Licensure to surrender his medical license, which he’s carried in his pocket with pride since Dwight D. Eisenhower was president. The reason for the request, according to Landrum, is that the board balked several months ago upon learning that he was operating his practice out of a car.

At a recent hearing, Landrum said, he was labeled “incompetent” by the board. He said the charge is a catchall, one designed to avoid citing a specific occupational violation, and he maintains he’s done nothing wrong. He said he doesn’t recruit patients and only responds to those who have nowhere else to turn.

“If you’re gong down a highway and somebody is hurt in a car accident, you stop and attend to them,” he told The Post. “And if you’re in a shopping center and somebody is having a heart attack, you stop and help. It’s your duty as a physician, and this is no different.”

A Board of Medical Licensure investigation is now underway, according to NBC affiliate WLBT. The board’s executive director, H. Vann Craig, declined to confirm to The Post that an investigation has begun. In a brief telephone conversation this week, Craig said he could not publicly address “complaints” until and unless “action is taken by the board.”

“The mission of the Mississippi State Board of Medical Licensure,” he said, “is to protect the public.”

Landrum’s many supporters — who can be found throughout Edwards and “for 50 miles in every direction,” according to the doctor — say that’s exactly what he’s doing. Last week, supporters – some of whom are third-generation patients — began circulating a petition calling on the state board to allow Landrum to keep his medical license.

Karen Holt, an Edwards resident, told WLBT that she loves knowing the doctor is available.

“There’s a lot of poverty in Edwards,” she said. “There are many, many people here who do not have transportation to Vicksburg, Clinton, Jackson, and he truly serves a purpose. And there are people who come to him who would not get medical treatment otherwise.”

Cornelius Moriley agreed, telling the station: “He’s saved a lot of people, you know what I’m saying? I think he should be left alone and steadily serve the people.”

Responding to the WLBT story, Margie Williams Divinity, a former registered nurse who said she has worked alongside Landrum in the past, wrote:

I beg the state board of medicine to allow Dr Landrum to continue practicing medicine. He is one of the smartest physicians still practicing. His knowledge base is vast. His diagnosis are always on point and he refers patients and always follow up with his patients. He cares about people, about treating them. He doesn’t care about all of the billing insurances and Medicare and all of the politics associated with medicine. He just wants to help people. He is still very sharp mentally at 88 probably because he did not let all of this political monopoly on healthcare stress him out by not continuing to partake. He is 88 y/o. Let him do what he enjoys and at the same time continue to serve his community…

Before moving his office to his car two years ago, Landrum operated his practice out of an apartment in a low-income housing complex, where he found himself surrounded by patients, according to WLBT. Increasing gang violence, including two shootings that occurred just outside his clinic door, led him to fear for his safety and eventually convinced him to close shop, he said.

“My patients kept saying, ‘Don’t leave, don’t leave,’ and I started working out of my automobile,” he told WLBT.

Landrum said he planned to find a new office but never secured one. Still, the phone calls kept coming in. These days, he estimates, he sees three or four patients each week, many of them old friends he’s been treating for years.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2015/01/14/this-88-year-old-doctor-treats-the-poor-out-of-his-toyota-camry-mississippi-wants-to-punish-him-for-it/

donnay
01-16-2015, 05:39 PM
What a shame. Sounds like another Dr. Paul.

dannno
01-16-2015, 06:09 PM
This is what you tell people is the face of Progressivism, the fault of too much regulation.

CaptainAmerica
01-16-2015, 06:12 PM
:mad:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2015/01/14/this-88-year-old-doctor-treats-the-poor-out-of-his-toyota-camry-mississippi-wants-to-punish-him-for-it/
He should keep doing it and have others join him just like that ww2 veteran in Florida feeding the homeless

Anti Federalist
01-17-2015, 09:22 AM
Freedumb.

AmeriKa.

phill4paul
01-17-2015, 01:30 PM
“The mission of the Mississippi State Board of Medical Licensure,” he said, “is to protect the public our monopoly on healthcare.”

amy31416
01-17-2015, 04:33 PM
License? He don't need no stinking license.

I hope he continues to do what he loves doing.

Working Poor
01-17-2015, 05:07 PM
Because health care ain't free don't ya'll know that??

DamianTV
01-17-2015, 05:44 PM
Welcome to AmeriKa, where everyone is poor and Poverty in and of itself is a Crime.

oyarde
01-18-2015, 12:25 AM
This guy sounds like a National Treasure .

William Tell
01-20-2015, 12:43 AM
Nasty government jerks.:mad:

Suzanimal
01-30-2015, 05:50 PM
Town Rallies Behind Doctor, 88, Who May Lose License For Treating Poor Patients From His Car

"I love that he's here," Karen Holt, who lives in Edwards, told Mississippi News Now. "He may not cure cancer, but he's cured a lot of people of basic things... There's a lot of poverty in Edwards, and there are many, many people here who do not have transportation to Vicksburg, Clinton, Jackson, and he truly serves a purpose."

The Edwards community hasn't just signed petitions in support of Landrum, though -- they've secured a permanent place for him to practice medicine, should he keep his license. Landrum told the Washington Post that between churches, community members and one contractor, a local office is being built for him to use.

"If they have that much confidence in me," Landrum told the outlet. "I just want to go all out and do my best for them."

The Mississippi Board of Medical Licensure confirmed this week to Fox News that an investigation is still underway regarding Landrum's license, but would not comment further.

Sign the petition in support of Landrum here.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/01/30/veteran-doctor-car-license_n_6573814.html?ncid=fcbklnkushpmg00000063

satchelmcqueen
01-30-2015, 10:04 PM
sounds like he learned from ron paul.

William Tell
01-30-2015, 10:08 PM
sounds like he learned from ron paul.

Ron Paul said doctors helping people for free used to be the norm.

GunnyFreedom
01-30-2015, 10:24 PM
Freedumb.

AmeriKa.

I was going to title my fedbook post of this 'Freedumb.' but i had just used that one for the cops prohibiting kids from shovelling snow for their neighbors.