PDA

View Full Version : Rand Paul’s Tough Sell: Judicial Activism can be Good for Conservatives

NACBA
01-15-2015, 05:14 AM
He makes a valid point

It takes chutzpah and a sense of salesmanship to pitch the Republican Party to the National Urban League, or to pitch the more progressive components of libertarianism to Heritage Action for America. But Paul has revelled in those opportunities in the past, and on Tuesday took his newest model to the door of conservative policy influencers.

Speaking at the Heritage Action Conservative Policy Summit, Paul polled the audience in the 100-person conference room: Who in the crowd thinks judicial restraint is a good philosophy? He got a few claps. Paul paused. "This is gonna be a tough sell," he said.

Paul then asked the crowd who supported judicial activism. No claps. "This is really gonna be a tough sell," he said.

http://www.nationaljournal.com/politics/rand-paul-s-tough-sell-20150114

specsaregood
01-15-2015, 06:39 AM
It was a good speech, you can tell he had fun with it.

tangent4ronpaul
01-15-2015, 06:51 AM
Hope he had fun with it. /s

If he was serious, I'm about ready to dump him!

This from someone that has been preparing to devote the next 2 years of their life to his campaign!!! :mad:

-t

specsaregood
01-15-2015, 07:30 AM

This from someone that has been preparing to devote the next 2 years of their life to his campaign!!! :mad:

-t

Have you listened to the speech?

Krugminator2
01-15-2015, 08:18 AM

-t

Why? Did you even watch the speech? I mean seriously. I'll bite my tongue and assume you didn't.

Vanguard101
01-15-2015, 10:00 AM

-t

You probably didn't listen to the speech.

Furthermore, judicial activism isn't bad. I'm not in favor of a completely constitutional government, whenever the constitution violates the natural law. Napolitano talks about this all the time.

Brett85
01-15-2015, 10:03 AM
People like Steve Deace are already distorting what Rand said and attacking him. But oh well. He could never get the support of people like that anyway. Anyone who could get the support of those kind of people would have no chance at all to win a general election.

specsaregood
01-15-2015, 10:29 AM
People like Steve Deace are already distorting what Rand said and attacking him. But oh well. He could never get the support of people like that anyway. Anyone who could get the support of those kind of people would have no chance at all to win a general election.

I think Randal often takes approaches like this just to expose people who are relegated to dog whistles, talking points and stupid paradigms.

NACBA
01-15-2015, 11:48 AM
I think Randal often takes approaches like this just to expose people who are relegated to dog whistles, talking points and stupid paradigms.

Yup

Christian Liberty
01-15-2015, 12:12 PM
I'm iffy here.

It isn't judicial activism to repeal unconstitutional legislation, but only if one repeals legislation solely on personal preference. This power is virtually always used to expand government, which would suggest to me that it is prudent that the power should not exist.

And, much as I deplore racism (and public schools, for that matter) I'm not sure Brown v Board of Education was properly decided, constitutionally speaking.