PDA

View Full Version : The Sky Is Not Falling: Legal Pot Turns One in Colorado

Origanalist
01-14-2015, 08:10 AM
JANUARY 13, 2015Mark Thornton
TAGS Financial MarketsHealthThe Police State

Legal recreational cannabis/marijuana/pot is almost one year old in Colorado. The Denver Business Journal recently published a retrospective containing several articles reviewing the experience. The general conclusion is that it has been a big success, not the tragedy some had predicted or claimed. The remarkable thing is that the report claims the biggest remaining problem for the industry is caused by the Federal Reserve!

Some of the big concerns prior to legalization have turned out to be trivial or failed to materialize at all. Expectations of overdose deaths, delinquency, and crime did not materialize to the extent that the newspaper barely reported on those issues. Crime in Denver actually declined in early reports.

Earlier this year, I examined the experience in Colorado and found that most reports were favorable to legalization. For example, the Business Insider reported that “Legalizing Weed in Colorado Is A Huge Success,” although they did report a “down side” as well. Jacob Sullum reported that such things as underage consumption and traffic fatalities declined, but not significantly within an already declining trend.

There was one early report that strongly called into question the legalization of marijuana in Colorado. It was put out by an outfit called the “Rocky Mountain High Intensity Drug Trafficking Area” program. It turns out that the program is part of the White House Office on Drug Policy, but that fact is not advertised in the report. Their lengthy report, “The Legalization of Marijuana in Colorado: The Impact,” appears to be very scientific and evidence based. However, I found it has more logical holes than a wheel of Swiss cheese gone wrong.

There certainly has been an increase in consumption and some diversion to minors. Colorado has historically been a high use and high abuse state, ranking above the national average in many categories. However, Colorado is close to the national average in the important category, the rate of drug overdose deaths, and the majority of deaths are the result of prescription painkillers, such as Vicodin and Oxycontin.

It is also true that there is anecdotal evidence of problems with legal weed in Colorado. There was the young man who consumed several times the recommended number of marijuana-infused cookies and jumped from a hotel to his death. There was a story of a dog that died after eating cookies left on the kitchen table. And there were several stories of children stealing cookies from their homes or their grandmothers and sharing them with their friends at school.

However, these events are still just newsworthy anecdotes, not trends or statewide calamities. They are also predictable. In transitioning from prohibition to legalization there are going to be such problems, but competition has its many ways of weeding out such problems over time. The marijuana dispensary industry has already been implementing new procedures and new ways of packaging edibles to improve their safe use.

Federal Regulations Prevent Financial Freedom in the Industry

The one remaining problem is that people in the growing and retail businesses have been denied access to the banking system. Without bank accounts, and being a largely cash business, the firms are more at risk of robbery. Without bank accounts it is more difficult to pay vendors and employees, and paying fees and taxes to local governments has created headaches for all. Everyone agrees that the simple solution would be to allow the use of credit cards and bank accounts.

Local banking officials seem to be cooperating. The Colorado Division of Financial Services issued a charter for a credit union designed to serve the industry. However, efforts are being blocked by a holdup on obtaining deposit insurance and by none other than the Federal Reserve nixing efforts for the credit union to obtain a “master account” from the Federal Reserve.

continued...http://mises.org/library/sky-not-falling-legal-pot-turns-one-colorado

tod evans
01-14-2015, 08:15 AM
Good for Co.!

Boo-hiss on the neighboring states for their behavior and the MSM for the continued propaganda..

DamianTV
01-14-2015, 09:32 AM
Now if only the rest of the country can pull its collective heads out of its collective assholes. Progress is being made in many states, but until the states stand up and tell the federal government to stick its collective dick in a blender, we will continue to suffer the consequences of the War on Drugs. Keeping pot illegal only benefits the Status Quo.

surf
01-14-2015, 11:50 AM
good for CO. it's pretty messed up here in Washington due to the bloody bureaucrats.

fisharmor
01-14-2015, 11:54 AM
For those who haven't seen it yet......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dw1HavgoK9E

muh_roads
01-14-2015, 12:05 PM

They still did really well for being 9x over the legal limit...try going 9x over the legal limit of alcohol and you'd be in the ER.

They even acknowledged they wouldn't normally drive anyway when that stoned. Maybe I'm a wuss but a gram is a lot. Stupid test IMO.

Acala
01-14-2015, 12:47 PM

Haha. Addy is hilarious!

Brian4Liberty
01-14-2015, 12:58 PM
The Sky Is Not Falling: Legal Pot Turns One in Colorado

The sky is falling. It has been a disaster! Just imagine the lost revenue for the State in fines and other fees. What are the marijuana task forces going to do with themselves? This could reduce law enforcement and prison costs. That is a disaster, budgets need to increase!

fisharmor
01-14-2015, 01:16 PM
They still did really well for being 9x over the legal limit...try going 9x over the legal limit of alcohol and you'd be in the ER.

The other takeaway is that 66% of the test subjects would have chosen to remove themselves from the situation well before they were dangerous, and the other 33% still recognized as she was doing it that it wasn't a good idea, and that she was doing it at the time primarily because it was in a controlled environment and that there was not going to be another opportunity outside of that.

Todd
01-14-2015, 02:29 PM
Anyone see the 60 minutes piece on this. It's not over. Politicians and Police already looking for reasons to get it overturned. Neighboring states are working to try to link illegal sales crossing borders and there was some mention of the black market not going away. Much more fighting to come.

tod evans
01-14-2015, 02:52 PM
Much more fighting to come.

Way too many influential people make their living off of the WOD for this to be settled peacefully....

dannno
01-14-2015, 03:06 PM
Anyone see the 60 minutes piece on this. It's not over. Politicians and Police already looking for reasons to get it overturned. Neighboring states are working to try to link illegal sales crossing borders and there was some mention of the black market not going away. Much more fighting to come.

Ya I saw it, I thought it was pretty similar to the article above except that they did mention surrounding states were upset.

Origanalist
01-14-2015, 11:57 PM
The sky is falling. It has been a disaster! Just imagine the lost revenue for the State in fines and other fees. What are the marijuana task forces going to do with themselves? This could reduce law enforcement and prison costs. That is a disaster, budgets need to increase!

Moar taxes! (for the children)

fr33
01-15-2015, 12:22 AM
Instead what you find in Colorado is a bunch of entrepreneurs. Legal marijuana isn't just selling green buds. You've got people growing and harvesting. You've got people making hash, hash oils, waxes, budders, baking edibles. You've got people making tinctures, drinks, glass pipes. There is so much money to be made and so much that is being stolen by the state. Taking a weed-vacation to Colorado is inspiring to someone like me that loves the concept of business. It is awesome to witness and I recommend going there. Free state project chose the wrong state.

Origanalist
01-15-2015, 12:36 AM
Instead what you find in Colorado is a bunch of entrepreneurs. Legal marijuana isn't just selling green buds. You've got people growing and harvesting. You've got people making hash, hash oils, waxes, budders, baking edibles. You've got people making tinctures, drinks, glass pipes. There is so much money to be made and so much that is being stolen by the state. Taking a weed-vacation to Colorado is inspiring to someone like me that loves the concept of business. It is awesome to witness and I recommend going there. Free state project chose the wrong state.

I saw an ad in craigslist here in my State hiring packaging people for 15 to 19 an hour.

RabbitMan
01-15-2015, 01:30 AM
I wouldn't say it is that bad in WA.

It's just that anyone who wanted to smoke could have gotten a green card, and so it is crazy hard for a state run store to compete with all the taxes they threw on. One of the major reasons legalization passed here, and in CO, was the promise of tax revenue going to education and other things. The taxes are so unpopular though that there was even a ballot measure to repeal some of them. On Colorados end, if I recall correctly I read that the revenues generated by the current market are nowhere near what people had been led to believe during the 2012 election.

I hate folks being misled and pandered to in order to buy a vote, and it comes off feeling like people were pulled a fast one.

On the bright side, the change an enforcement mood has been incredible here. A friend was in a car at a park smoking in the backseat. Cop comes up and knocks on the window. She tells him that she was the only one smoking and her friend was driving. Cop says, "Well remember to be safe then." Walks off. How crazy, right?

HOLLYWOOD
01-15-2015, 11:13 AM
Are sporting events and prime time programming sponsored by the Pharmaceutical and Alcohol industry commercials? YOU BETCHA & all you need to know about public manipulation for revenue. Move over "Bud" there's a new player in town and it has some very good by products to help the people.
CNN: Marijuana stops child's severe seizures (http://www.cnn.com/2013/08/07/health/charlotte-child-medical-marijuana)
https://images.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=http%3A%2F%2Fsecondsightresearch.tripod.com%2Fs itebuildercontent%2Fsitebuilderpictures%2Freeferma dness.jpg&f=1http://i57.tinypic.com/2qve54p.png

Some more good analysis from Colorado legalization: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/08/09/charlotte-figi-6-year-old-marijuana-medical_n_3734283.html

http://i60.tinypic.com/25a0nkj.png
http://i57.tinypic.com/2wolhn9.png

surf
01-15-2015, 11:36 AM
I wouldn't say it is that bad in WA.

On the bright side, the change an enforcement mood has been incredible here. A friend was in a car at a park smoking in the backseat. Cop comes up and knocks on the window. She tells him that she was the only one smoking and her friend was driving. Cop says, "Well remember to be safe then." Walks off. How crazy, right?extremely disappointed at how the local paper keeps attacking medical marijuana and pointing to how it is hurting the non-existent "legal" market.

they've taxed and regulated "legal" weed to a point that it is selling for about $11,000/lb.

but as you say, the bright side is definitely seen in how cops interact with pot smokers.

edit: full disclosure - I have not been to a legal shop and very few exist in this state

jonhowe
01-15-2015, 11:38 AM
Now if only the rest of the country can pull its collective heads out of its collective assholes. Progress is being made in many states, but until the states stand up and tell the federal government to stick its collective dick in a blender, we will continue to suffer the consequences of the War on Drugs. Keeping pot illegal only benefits the Status Quo.

"Collective Ass" will be my next band's name.

dannno
01-15-2015, 11:53 AM
I saw an ad in craigslist here in my State hiring packaging people for 15 to 19 an hour.

Hah, and that is without the government forcing them to pay $15/hr..