PDA

View Full Version : ''Warren Buffett Wants to Tell You When You Can Wash Your Clothes''

Noob
01-12-2015, 03:50 AM
SMART grid to control your life.

Bloomberg News began its recent piece on this with the slightly different line, “Warren Buffett wants to tell you the best time to wash your clothes.”

But the article continues on with not just Buffett wanting to give you a friendly reminder of a more cost-effective time of day to use energy….

No apparently, in conjunction with Siemens AG, Buffett’s UK Northern Powergrid Holdings Company is testing a new smart-grid system that will be able to literally take control of when a homeowner can use their appliances. They are testing, “a so-called smart grid that has the ability to control when consumer appliances will be used in the home.”

http://www.activistpost.com/2015/01/total-smart-grid-control-warren-buffett.html

oyarde
01-12-2015, 04:46 AM
The hell with that shit .

Ronin Truth
01-12-2015, 11:03 AM
For a hundred shares of BRK_A, I'll happily wash my clothes whenever Warren says to.

jbauer
01-12-2015, 11:15 AM
So do all the anti-smart meter conspiracy theorists get a cookie for being right?

jbauer
01-12-2015, 11:18 AM
And I've done my share of wiring. I'm not sure that you'd be able to tell if a washing machine was plugged in and working without also linking the water meter as well. Your washer isn't going to pull very many amps so unless there is some way of discerning between the amps the washing machine vs the coffee pot vs the tv is pulling I'm not sure how they'd be able to know.

tod evans
01-12-2015, 12:18 PM
Washing machines? HA!

When I flip on the shop in the morning there's 32 four foot fluorescent fixtures, 2-24 amp compressor motors(single phase), a 30 amp (three phase) dust collector motor in addition to whatever piece of equipment I'm running.

And these guys are going after washing machines........:rolleyes:

donnay
01-12-2015, 12:21 PM
Agenda 21

Noob
01-12-2015, 01:26 PM
And I've done my share of wiring. I'm not sure that you'd be able to tell if a washing machine was plugged in and working without also linking the water meter as well. Your washer isn't going to pull very many amps so unless there is some way of discerning between the amps the washing machine vs the coffee pot vs the tv is pulling I'm not sure how they'd be able to know.

Embeded RFID chips in them.

jbauer
01-12-2015, 01:39 PM
Here's what I can tell you:

My folks own/operate a 125 cow dairy. Since the late 90's they have had a "smart meter" or similar. They get charge a base rate for electric and a multiplier for peak usage. Currently it is monthly. So each month whatever whenever the highest second of usage occurs they get dinged the entire month for. Fyi, its not hard to hit a peak when you've got several 5 hp motors around the place

The crooks are trying to get it to be an annual rest. So imagine your worst electric day at your house and getting penalized for it for an entire year. If you add up your AC, water heater, dryer etc running at one time your max rate climbs a lot easier then you'd think.

jbauer
01-12-2015, 01:42 PM
Embeded RFID chips in them.

If they existed they shouldn't be that hard to dismantle. Or detect. I suggest not buying the fancy stuff anyway. Speed Queen makes a marvelous machine based on 1970s technology. Not one computer chip involved. Blows the doors off of that new fancy $hit.

Start using a close line. The clothes smell better and its much cheaper!!

amy31416
01-12-2015, 03:26 PM
If they existed they shouldn't be that hard to dismantle. Or detect. I suggest not buying the fancy stuff anyway. Speed Queen makes a marvelous machine based on 1970s technology. Not one computer chip involved. Blows the doors off of that new fancy $hit.

I don't know if the clothes smell better, but it's certainly cheaper--I dry most clothes in the basement on racks and it also helps humidify the house in winter. Certain things can't be done that way though--towels, cottons, but I usually let them partially dry on racks, then put them in the dryer with some damp items from the washer. It's also easier on your clothes and helps them last longer.

oyarde
01-13-2015, 12:55 AM
I don't know if the clothes smell better, but it's certainly cheaper--I dry most clothes in the basement on racks and it also helps humidify the house in winter. Certain things can't be done that way though--towels, cottons, but I usually let them partially dry on racks, then put them in the dryer with some damp items from the washer. It's also easier on your clothes and helps them last longer.

I dry my jeans , canvas jackets , coveralls in the basement next to a fire in winter, but , because I want to :)

RonPaulIsGreat
01-13-2015, 02:44 AM

Sunlight is a natural disinfectant. It probably is the best method. I'm sure it's healthier than a clothes dryer. Unfortunately I live in a town, and the women would steal my underwear I'm sure of it.