PDA

View Full Version : What if Ron Paul was pro-war

IHaveaDream
12-03-2007, 05:28 PM
How important is the war issue to you in this election?

navi
12-03-2007, 05:30 PM
It's very important to me. If RP was pro-war then he wouldn't be consistent in his message of fiscal conservatism and sound economic policies.

ctb619
Very -- I wouldn't support him.

AlexMerced
I'll be honest,I wouldn't of given him the time of day if it weren't for his position on the war, it's what made me curious to learn more, cause it was really disruptive to my selective attentionto hear a republican say topull out of Iraq.

If it wasn't for the may debate, I'd probably be Richardson supporter right now

Mark Rushmore
12-03-2007, 05:31 PM
nm

rory096
Pro-war in general or just not pro-pulling out of Iraq immediately?

hard@work
He is "pro-war". He's not against the concept of necessary war between civilizations. He is against stupid war, evil war, and illegal war.

Mark Rushmore
It's very important to me. If RP was pro-war then he wouldn't be consistent in his message of fiscal conservatism and sound economic policies.

Agreed.

AMack
12-03-2007, 05:32 PM
Yeah if he were pro-war then it would mar his entire record. You can't be simultaneously in favor of small govt and pro-war.

Hurricane Bruiser
I would still support him. The foreign policy had to grow on me.

steph3n
hrm well economic policy got me here, but since it is all tied at the top, it is sound thinking.

Paulitician
We wouldn't be here today. The Iraq War is not representative of "a foreign policy of freedom."

Ron Paul is not opposed to war in general, it just has to be done right, and for the right reasons (to protect ourselves, national security etc.).

brianbb98
12-03-2007, 05:33 PM
If he was pro-war it would go against everything else he's said. Another flip flopper that I wouldnt even consider.

starless
12-03-2007, 05:33 PM
If he was in favor of remaining in Iraq I wouldn't support him. I would be very sad, as I am a libertarian and it's nice to see a libertarian-minded candidate in the mainstream, but I would have to stick with my principles and I would probably end up voting for whoever the Libertarian Party runs.

adpierce
12-03-2007, 05:37 PM
Is the hypothetical that he just changed his mind tomorrow or that from the very beginning of his candidacy he was a pro-war candidate? If he changed his mind tomorrow I couldn't vote for him. It would spoil this image of him in my mind of being a candidate with impeccable integrity. If however he was somehow uninformed and he thought the war in Iraq was actually promoting our national defense I might still vote for the man

Paulitician
12-03-2007, 05:38 PM
A Ron Paul who supports the Iraq occupation cannot exist, could never exist. Completely against his principles of liberty.

Goldwater Conservative
12-03-2007, 05:39 PM
If that was the only difference, and if he came at it from a Goldwater hawkish perspective instead of a neo-con one and was still more than willing to criticize its execution, then yes.

TheNewYorker
12-03-2007, 05:40 PM
I would still vote for him. I'm voting for him because he's an honest man, and no matter of his policies, I think having an honest man in Washington would be better than having a puppet.

Though, if he was pro-war, he would never win. 71% of americans want out of Iraq.

Mark Rushmore
12-03-2007, 05:42 PM
Not that I'm telling anyone what to do, but I'm personally against this poll as it is worded. If it gets enough responses that say "I wouldn't vote for him if he was pro-war", other folks are going to run with that as saying "his policies get no general support at all blah blah all his supporters are just glomming on to an anti-war candidate." It needs more nuance IMHO. Something like,

"If Ron Paul was pro-war..."
A) His other policies would seem incompatible
B) All I care about is the war - I'd just as soon vote Kucinich (I think he's anti-Iraq?)
C) I love war, I'd love him more for it
D) I don't think it would matter to me

you get the idea...

FreeTraveler
12-03-2007, 05:46 PM
You might as well ask "If elephants were orange" for all the sense this question makes. His anti-war stance is a logical extension of the rest of his views, and he's nothing if not consistent.

IHaveaDream
12-03-2007, 05:50 PM
Not that I'm telling anyone what to do, but I'm personally against this poll as it is worded.

Well, I posted this poll and I totally agree with you. I should have worded it differently. The war issue is very important to me, but I also view Dr. Paul as the only candidate running that I trust.

I apologize to my fellow members for not providing more nuance. If someone will tell me how to remove this poll, I will.

Tina
12-03-2007, 05:58 PM
The war issue is HUGE for me. It's nothing but genocide IMO>

Heather in WI
12-03-2007, 05:59 PM
I would still support him. The foreign policy had to grow on me.

This is where I stand, too. It wasn't the war that first drew me to Ron Paul. It was his stance on privacy rights.

Ron LOL
12-03-2007, 06:02 PM
If there's one thing Ron Paul teaches, it's that our prosperity here at home is inextricably tied to our foreign policy.

So no, I couldn't support Ron Paul if he were pro-war.

Menthol Patch
12-03-2007, 06:07 PM
I would not vote for any candidate that supports the war in Iraq.

daikonv
12-03-2007, 06:10 PM
to me, its all connected. the war in iraq, our current financial un-conservativeness, the drop of the dollar. Without dropping the war in iraq and pulling bases from other nations, I don't see how his free market/fiscal conservative views would match up. all other candidates say they'll stop pork spending, but that still wouldnt add up to anything close to how much we're spending overseas.

Voluntaryist
12-03-2007, 06:12 PM
Pro-war????

If Ron Paul were pro-war, I would have instead been urging people to boycott the vote, as I usually do.

Starks
12-03-2007, 06:13 PM
Ron's anti-war stance is what got me hooked on him. If he was pro-war, he'd just be another rank and file neocon in my eyes, regardless of his other stances. Besides, a pro-war Ron Paul would undermine those other stances.

Adamsa
12-03-2007, 06:15 PM
Ron Paul would be a completely different candidate if he were pro-war.

quickmike
12-03-2007, 06:16 PM
If he were for ANY war thats purpose was nation building I couldnt support him even though I agree with the rest of his positions. Being the worlds police just doesnt jive with being for smaller government and cutting spending. As long as you have one, you cant possibly have the other. That would mean he was lying either about being for the war, or lying about smaller government...................... cant have both.

It always amazes me to hear republicans that support other candidates talk about smaller government, and in the same breath talk about expanding our foreign welfare all over the globe.

IDIOTS!!

silverhandorder
12-03-2007, 06:19 PM
I support Ron even if he was pro war. Waging a responsible war aka no nation building and approved by congress is something I can stand behind. I understand his foreign policy and support it also because I believe it is far superior then trying to fight it out outside of our borders. We are an economic super power and can control many markets without the use of force.

pcosmar
12-03-2007, 06:22 PM
He would not be the consistent Candidate that he is.
Better Question, If Ron Paul was not Ron Paul would you vote for him?

fluoridatedbrainsoup
12-03-2007, 06:30 PM
Ridiculous poll. War issue is inextricably tied to the economic issue, and the issues of liberty in general. I would have to be a f@#king moron to consciously vote more for more war, just mo.

Voluntaryist
12-03-2007, 06:33 PM
Ridiculous poll. War issue is inextricably tied to the economic issue, and the issues of liberty in general. I would have to be a f@#king moron to consciously vote more for more war, just mo.

FOR THE WIN!