PDA

View Full Version : Defending freedom of speech

juleswin
01-08-2015, 08:12 PM
I think I like most people here support the ability for the individual to say what they want without govt intrusion. I agree to that point with most people here but where I have the problem is with people who go out of their way to belittle, antagonize and mock people just because they can. To those people, I want absolutely nothing to do with them and if/when another citizen decide to go after them for being an asshole. I would not come to their aid if they begged for help and if they happen to die from said attack, I will not mourn their deaths.

I have a serious problem with people who go completely out of their way to mock religious folks. They think they are oh so smart because they figured out that there is no god. I unsubscribed from many youtube atheist channels that I really liked who made it a sport to see how offensive they can be to religious folks. I have made it a personal policy to completely dissociate from those type of people and in essence, they are dead to me.

So, say whatever the hell you like, mock religion, make fun of retarded people, women who get raped, children who lose their parents and whoever else you think society shelters from insult because you can. But please don't cry when one or two nuts in the group decides to attack you for being an asshole.

DamianTV
01-08-2015, 08:39 PM
Free Speech isnt intended to protect the popular thing to say. It is defined as a Right to protect the unpopular thing to say from the naysayers.

pcosmar
01-08-2015, 09:37 PM
Free Speech isnt intended to protect the popular thing to say. It is defined as a Right to protect the unpopular thing to say from the naysayers.

It is, and it does,, and it did.
Your freedom does not protect you from the consequences.

If you provoke someone. they may respond to that provocation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fighting_words
http://definitions.uslegal.com/f/fighting-words/

juleswin
01-09-2015, 12:39 AM

Its one thing if it was Obama administration and the FBI trying to censor the publication by telling them not to offend Muslims. But in this case, all the players are civilians and for that reason, I will remain neutral. Ofc, I wish the incident would have been settled without any violence and the alleged attackers would have taken the high road and be the bigger person in the room but it did not happen.

The main gist of my post is that one can be an asshole on their own dime, I don't want any part of it at good or bad times. Enjoy all the profits from it and make sure you put aside enough of it to invest in your own protection cos if you receive any private backlash, don't count on me lifting a finger or shedding a tear for you.

Je ne suis pas Charlie