PDA

View Full Version : Freshman Alex Mooney (R-WV) Broke His Signed Pledge to Vote Against Boehner

Brian4Liberty
01-08-2015, 01:18 PM
Freshman Republican Alex Mooney Broke His Signed Pledge to Vote Against Boehner (http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2015/01/08/freshman-republican-alex-mooney-broke-his-signed-pledge-to-vote-against-boehner/)
by Michael Patrick Leahy - 8 Jan 20150

Newly elected Representative Alex Mooney (R-WV) demonstrated with his vote in favor of re-electing John Boehner as Speaker of the House on Tuesday that he is a master of the political art of word-parsing and rationalization, especially when it comes to advancing his own ambitions.

On December 9, 2013, when the opportunistic former Chairman of the Maryland GOP was considered a long-shot candidacy to win the Republican primary in West Virginia’s 2nd Congressional District, he signed the Madison Project Candidate Pledge. Part of that says: “I pledge to vote against the current leadership when the first reasonable opportunity presents itself. (House)”

“We obviously view John Boehner as current leadership and Tuesday’s vote was a reasonable opportunity,” Drew Ryun of the Madison Project tells Breitbart News on Thursday.
More: http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2015/01/08/freshman-republican-alex-mooney-broke-his-signed-pledge-to-vote-against-boehner/

ZENemy
01-08-2015, 01:35 PM
These people lie so often they actually have to sign pledges of their actions?

JK/SEA
01-08-2015, 05:43 PM
meaningless.

work to give him a one term and out.

FSP-Rebel
01-08-2015, 08:50 PM
I'll give him another chance but this is the start of a Bentivolio 2.0.

Ronin Truth
01-09-2015, 10:05 AM
What, you really expected a freshman weaselly CONgresscritter to keep his written campaign promise? You're kidding, right?

JakeH
01-09-2015, 10:18 AM
Given how heavy handed Boehner has been against dissenters in the past, I can't blame someone for voting for him. But, when your first official act as a Congressman is to break a major campaign pledge, its not a good sign.

GunnyFreedom
01-09-2015, 10:27 AM
oooohhh. ouch. This kind of thing hurts way more when it comes with a signed pledge. He just massively increased his chances at serving only a single term. He's already written a quarter of his opponents campaign ads for free.

William Tell
01-09-2015, 10:33 AM
oooohhh. ouch. This kind of thing hurts way more when it comes with a signed pledge. He just massively increased his chances at serving only a single term. He's already written a quarter of his opponents campaign ads for free.

He's not the only one, I think a number of the freshmen signed that pledge.

GunnyFreedom
01-09-2015, 10:48 AM
He's not the only one, I think a number of the freshmen signed that pledge.

that right thar is gonna hurt.

GunnyFreedom
01-09-2015, 10:49 AM
People who don't even care about Boehner are going to care that dude signs a pledge and then ignores it.

nobody's_hero
01-09-2015, 02:52 PM
What, you really expected a freshman weaselly CONgresscritter to keep his written campaign promise? You're kidding, right?

Well, the freshmen have nothing to lose. It's not that demanding of an expectation.

If someone like Louie Gohmert or Walter Jones can go all in and vote against the speaker, it should be a no-brainer for someone who just got into office and has no friends in D.C. anyway.

Ronin Truth
01-09-2015, 03:22 PM
Anyone want to bet on the validity of his CONstitutional oath of office?

RandallFan
01-09-2015, 03:42 PM
As if Boehner will refuse to defend the coal industry as revenge against Mooney.

Isn't Mooney half Cuban I wonder if he will go the way of Rubio and other neocon Cubans, and start demanding intervention.

Mia Love and Mooney could lose just on 2016 turnout even without a third party.

Anti Federalist
01-09-2015, 05:13 PM
Ha Ha

Anti Federalist
01-09-2015, 05:56 PM
Ha Ha

jurgs01
01-09-2015, 08:21 PM

Dave Brat and Rod Blum stood strong.

HOLLYWOOD
01-09-2015, 08:57 PM
So much for representing his constituents, eh? Boehner is a perfect example of, "You do what we want inside the Washington DC beltway, not what your congressional district people you represent want you to do."

They say 60% want Boehner gone, I would put that census more at 75%... even die hard party fools hate spineless establish Boehner.

Occam's Banana
01-10-2015, 03:20 AM
http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view/360240/fred-sanford-o.gif

A Son of Liberty
01-10-2015, 05:51 AM

lol

I was coming into the thread to post this:

http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view1/4870800/i-m-shocked-o.gif

nobody's_hero
01-10-2015, 07:12 AM
So much for representing his constituents, eh? Boehner is a perfect example of, "You do what we want inside the Washington DC beltway, not what your congressional district people you represent want you to do."

They say 60% want Boehner gone, I would put that census more at 75%... even die hard party fools hate spineless establish Boehner.

Yep. Unfortunately congress critters don't seem to realize that the nail in the coffin for your political career is to piss off the people in your district.

Ron Paul was the most-hated man in D.C. But he was the most-respected in his own district. So really it doesn't matter if all of D.C. is pissed at you, as long as you remain in good favor with the people who actually do the voting, you should be good.

idiom
01-10-2015, 08:55 AM
You would think Boehner would have asked them to vote against him and keep their pledges. He would still have won, and his congress would be stronger and owe him for not breaking their balls.

GunnyFreedom
01-10-2015, 09:06 AM
You would think Boehner would have asked them to vote against him and keep their pledges. He would still have won, and his congress would be stronger and owe him for not breaking their balls.
Boner is a child. He doesn't care about a strong America. He only cares about consolidating his own personal power.

osan
01-10-2015, 10:22 AM
meaningless.

work to give him a one term and out.

Meaningless?

I'd say the damage that can occur in two years and to which he can be an active party is quite meaningful.

ETA:

As of this news about Mooney, my sphincter is feeling abused. Were he to meet a sad fate on the highway I would not shed a tear for this lying sack of pig vomit.

ETA^2:

Boo-hiss upon the people who cobbled the pledge. Weasel-words such as "reasonable" give weasels like Mooney a plausible out. Also, I would be interested to know where the likes of Ryun were just before the vote? Were they on the phone to Mooney's office voicing their expectations? If not, well... HMMMM...

osan
01-10-2015, 10:24 AM
that right thar is gonna hurt.

Perhaps, but whom? Not them. Who does that leave?

FSP-Rebel
01-10-2015, 03:38 PM
Elizabeth, this is the big one darling! I'm coming!

And, I'm only in my early thirties. :p

GunnyFreedom
01-10-2015, 09:13 PM
Perhaps, but whom? Not them. Who does that leave?

It will hurt a lot of the people who signed a pledge and then immediately broke it. There was a reason I didn't go around signing pledges when I was running. Even the ones I mostly agreed with because you have no idea what the future holds. There are people out there who actually adore John Boehner who will be angry with the people who signed the pledge and then broke it, not because they elected Boehner, but because they broke a signed pledge.

Maybe it's just a southern thing, I dunno, but around here that's a big big deal. Folks around here will hate a politician for doing what they wanted him to do in the first place, if he had to break a signed pledge to do it. There are (believe it or not) some pretty hard-core anti-war folks in Eastern NC who hate Walter Jones because he went back on his promises in order to start opposing the wars.