PDA

View Full Version : Boehner Strikes Back on Members Who Voted Against Him

Mr.NoSmile
01-07-2015, 09:59 AM
http://www.politico.com/story/2015/01/boehner-allies-out-for-revenge-114007.html?hp=lc2_4

After he secured his third term as speaker Tuesday afternoon, losing 25 votes on the House floor to some relatively unknown members of the Republican Conference, Boehner moved swiftly to boot two of the insurgents from the influential Rules Committee. That could be just the start of payback for the speaker’s betrayers, who might see subcommittee chairmanships and other perks fall away in the coming months.

Boehner’s allies have thirsted for this kind of action from the speaker, saying he’s let people walk all over him for too long and is too nice to people who are eager to stab him in the back. The removal of Florida Reps. Daniel Webster and Richard Nugent from Rules was meant as a clear demonstration that what Boehner and other party leaders accepted during the previous Congress is no longer acceptable, not with the House’s biggest GOP majority in decades.

The reason for demoting the two Florida Republicans was simple: Webster ran against Boehner for speaker, distributing fliers outlining his candidacy and talking about how he would better adhere to the House rules than the Ohio Republican. Nugent supported his fellow Floridian in the quixotic endeavor, which garnered the support of 12 lawmakers. Webster didn’t even give Boehner a heads-up that he was running, although leadership was aware early Tuesday morning that it could happen.

As well as-

Tuesday’s tally brought “double the number” of anti-Boehner votes compared with 2013, noted Rep. Tim Huelskamp (R-Kan.), one of the most vocal thorns in Boehner’s side. Huelskamp said he was unhappy that “only three of the freshmen class” voted against Boehner.

Huelskamp said he was denied a chance to get back his seat on the Agriculture Committee because of his opposition to Boehner. The Kansas Republican was removed from the panel in 2012.

“I am already hearing from my colleagues, and myself, about retaliation against those who voted their conscience, their constituents, their principles, to change the status quo,” Huelskamp said. “My colleagues fully expect that. That’s what they expect out of this leadership team.”

Iowa GOP Rep. Steve King, who voted against Boehner, said, “If you cannot vote your conscience … then it’s clearly a dysfunctional system here.”

But hey, the rebels got internet kudos on Facebook and Twitter and the like! That's always a good thing, right? Right?!

AuH20
01-07-2015, 10:04 AM
You really wonder how long the money men can keep this up as the domestic situation rapidly deteriorates. This is going to be fascinating to watch going forward.

nobody's_hero
01-07-2015, 01:01 PM
GOP leadership's theme song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GiyGgFV8kik

nobody's_hero
01-07-2015, 01:45 PM
http://thehill.com/homenews/house/228685-huelskamp-chairmanship-taken-away-after-boehner-defection

I kind of admire Huelskamp. I don't think I'd vote for him, but he's definitely racking up the bad-ass tally.

The winning comment from the article:

I don't care for the tea party or any of the numb nuts that were elected. However, they were elected by legitimate American voters and were if were awarded committee or sub committee leadership positions, they should not be lost simply because they were against Boehner. Even in congress you should be allowed freedom of choice and/or to run against the current leader without fear of repercussion as in this case if true.
There are no real Republicans any more. Prior Republican leaders of the past would have a problem getting elected in most district because of how the gerrymandering turned out and because the Party is now more about power, itself, and its ideology than it is about working for the American people. Republicans of the past worked hard to legislate their views but understood that much of the time you work with the other side to come up with compromise that will work for all America. This Republican Party believes there should be no compromise only their way or the high way. This party is now a 'my way or the high way' and to hell with everyone else.

^^^This is a guy who is starting to get it.

RandallFan
01-07-2015, 03:56 PM
That's the rules committee. Do any constituents even care about that? If Pete Sessions wants to ram through a RINO agenda you think Nugent and Webster will be able to stop it?

The Keystone Pipeline will be vetoed and most the stuff they do will be vetoed.

King is on the ag committee. His constiuents will credit him with the 5 year farm bill that has already passed. King has time on his hands to invite presidential candidates to Iowa to bash Boehner and GOP beltway leadership.

nobody's_hero
01-07-2015, 04:03 PM
That's the rules committee. Do any constituents even care about that? If Pete Sessions wants to ram through a RINO agenda you think Nugent and Webster will be able to stop it?

The Keystone Pipeline will be vetoed and most the stuff they do will be vetoed.

King is on the ag committee. His constiuents will credit him with the 5 year farm bill that has already passed. King has time on his hands to invite presidential candidates to Iowa to bash Boehner and GOP beltway leadership.

Well, it's pretty evident that committee assignments don't mean much when the House Leadership has the final say on everything that passed through congress, which makes it all the more confusing that so many freshmen congressmen with nothing to lose couldn't find the balls to vote against him.

Gohmert's response got a chuckle from me, though. I may not agree with all of his politics but he nailed it here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Izr8S9dGWfA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RuJXbE70yw