PDA

View Full Version : Mia Love Joins Congressional Black Caucus, The Group She Wants to Destroy ‘From The Inside Out

NACBA
01-06-2015, 02:14 PM
Rep. Mia Love (R-UT), the first black female Republican congresswoman, was officially sworn into office today and promptly joined the Congressional Black Caucus, a group she once called a hotspot of “demagoguery” that “ignite[s] emotions and ignite[s] racism when there isn’t.”

The Washington Post reports that Rep. Love became the sole Republican to join this group in this morning’s swearing-in ceremony, which inducted 44 members, three of them new, and one of them Sen. Cory Booker (D-NJ).

Flash back to 2012, however, and Love wasn’t such a fan of the CBC. As she told the Deseret News during her first House race, she wanted to dismantle the historically Democrat caucus:

“Yes, yes. I would join the Congressional Black Caucus and try to take that thing apart from the inside out,” she said.

Though officially nonpartisan, the caucus has been more closely identified with the Democratic Party.

“It’s demagoguery. They sit there and ignite emotions and ignite racism when there isn’t,” Love said. “They use their positions to instill fear. Hope and change is turned into fear and blame. Fear that everybody is going lose everything and blaming Congress for everything instead of taking responsibility.”

http://www.mediaite.com/online/mia-love-joins-congressional-black-caucus-the-group-she-wants-to-destroy-from-the-inside-out/

jmdrake
01-06-2015, 02:26 PM
I may be sexist for saying this, but she's cute.

http://static01.mediaite.com/med/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/love1.jpg

NACBA
01-06-2015, 02:36 PM

That she is.

And you're not being sexist, just human.

Mr.NoSmile
01-06-2015, 02:39 PM
I find it funny there's already a "FIRE Mia Love" Facebook page based on her vote for Boehner. Seriously, keyboard warriors are so reactionary and don't get that she's not gonna risk her committee assignment or getting bridges burned on her first day with her first vote. That wouldn't get her anyway.

That said, she is nice on the eyes and a change of pace from the old White men we're used to seeing in the GOP.

RandallFan
01-06-2015, 05:31 PM
I bet she loses in 2016, like Allen West and Lee Terry.

She's black and a woman so the teocons thought she would be conservative.

Colin Powell, Condi Rice, Mitt Romney, Jon Huntsman, Darrell Issa, Jason Chaffetz are either black RINOs or Mormon RINOs. Mike Lee is the exception.

THX 1138
01-06-2015, 08:17 PM
Interesting that our tax dollars help sustain the existence of a government organization dedicated to serving the interests of a specific racial group.

William Tell
01-06-2015, 08:22 PM
I bet she loses in 2016, like Allen West and Lee Terry.

She's black and a woman so the teocons thought she would be conservative.

Colin Powell, Condi Rice, Mitt Romney, Jon Huntsman, Darrell Issa, Jason Chaffetz are either black RINOs or Mormon RINOs. Mike Lee is the exception.

Curt Clawson who voted for Rand today is a Mormon.

TaftFan
01-06-2015, 08:25 PM
Will Hurd declined to join. I think Tim Scott did too.

angelatc
01-07-2015, 09:03 AM
Do you people have a reading comprehension issue? Seriously, why the hell did you post this here without mocking them? Let's do this in increments. Try to keep up.

Here is the title:
Mia Love Joins Congressional Black Caucus, The Group She Wants to Destroy ‘From The Inside Out (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?466036-Mia-Love-Joins-Congressional-Black-Caucus-The-Group-She-Wants-to-Destroy-%91From-The-Inside-Out)

Jot down those last two words to assist with mental retention.

Flash back to 2012, however, and Love wasn’t such a fan of the CBC. As she told the Deseret News during her first House race, she wanted to dismantle the historically Democrat caucus:

“Yes, yes. I would join the Congressional Black Caucus and try to take that thing apart from the inside out,” she said.

Is it sinking in at all now? The world would be a better place if the black Republicans joined. Echo chambers are dangerous.

specsaregood
01-07-2015, 09:42 AM
Do you people have a reading comprehension issue?

Uhm, can you kindly point out for me anybody in this thread that is upset with her joining this group? I thought the part you highlighted was rather obvious and the OP even added a smiley to the title indicating he was happy about it.

amy31416
01-07-2015, 10:06 AM

I'd say she's beyond cute and go with beautiful. Not very familiar with her, but I'd bet she doesn't have the Sarah Palin stupid element. I'll have to see what she's all about.

jllundqu
01-07-2015, 10:16 AM
Mia Love is already a sellout. She voted for Boehner for Speaker yesterday.... her street cred just died IMO

amy31416
01-07-2015, 10:25 AM
Mia Love is already a sellout. She voted for Boehner for Speaker yesterday.... her street cred just died IMO

While I don't like that either, I think it's better to look at the whole package. What is good about her, in your opinion?

jmdrake
01-07-2015, 10:28 AM

Yeah. But is there any doubt that Rand will vote for Mitch McConnell for senate majority leader? What's the diff?

specsaregood
01-07-2015, 10:33 AM
Yeah. But is there any doubt that Rand will vote for Mitch McConnell for senate majority leader? What's the diff?

While I'm not gonna hate on her for that vote...

1. Does she have a personal relationship with Boehner? Randal does with McConnell.
2. Did Boehner help her win her general election? McConnell did help Randal.
3. Is Boehner from the same state as her? McConnell and Randal both represent KY.
4. Does McConnell have a negative record as Majority Leader in the Senate? Boehner does in the house.

I'm not a fan of McConnell, BUT at the same time I hold out hope that he might impress as Senate Majority leader and this is his first opportunity at that. I'm hoping Randal has persuaded him in a positive direction.

jmdrake
01-07-2015, 10:52 AM
While I'm not gonna hate on her for that vote...

1. Does she have a personal relationship with Boehner? Randal does with McConnell.
2. Did Boehner help her win her general election? McConnell did help Randal.
3. Is Boehner from the same state as her? McConnell and Randal both represent KY.
4. Does McConnell have a negative record as Majority Leader in the Senate? Boehner does in the house.

I'm not a fan of McConnell, BUT at the same time I hold out hope that he might impress as Senate Majority leader and this is his first opportunity at that. I'm hoping Randal has persuaded him in a positive direction.

I don't know. I didn't even know who she was until she won. But let's say she had no personal relationship with Boehner, but many of the big money donors who backed her did. Is that really that different? Yes McConnell helped Rand in the general, but that's only after trying desperately to take him out in the primary. Anyhow, the only thing I want to know is if she's single.

cajuncocoa
01-07-2015, 10:54 AM

I'm female....I don't think it's sexist for a man to say a young lady is cute. Some of us still appreciate compliments. ;)

specsaregood
01-07-2015, 10:56 AM
Is that really that different?
Well to be fair, you didn't specify the level of difference. :) I just bantered off a couple from the top of my head.

Anyhow, the only thing I want to know is if she's single.
nope.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mia_Love#Personal_life

Raised a Roman Catholic, Love joined The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints after graduating college in 1998.[47] While a flight attendant she moved to Utah as part of her work, but also to be closer to the temple and to learn more about her faith.[11] There she got to know Jason Love, whom she had met briefly when he was an LDS missionary in Connecticut. The two were married in December 1998. Love turned down an offer to appear in the Broadway show "Smokey Joe's Café" that started two days before her marriage.[11][48] They have three children.

Danke
01-07-2015, 11:09 AM
Anyhow, the only thing I want to know is if she's single.

They may be swingers.

http://love4utah.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/Blog_Christmas_Family_900.png

milgram
01-07-2015, 11:29 AM
I saw one of her recent debates which was re-aired on CSPAN. She didn't seem too bad... although that's how many politicians seem in debates.

NIU Students for Liberty
01-07-2015, 12:40 PM
How is she any different from your typical Republican, other than the fact that she happens to be a black female?

I'm honestly lost as to why she receives so much admiration around here...

NACBA
01-07-2015, 02:55 PM
http://dailycaller.com/2015/01/07/mia-love-defends-vote-for-boehner-as-speaker/

Brian4Liberty
01-07-2015, 03:14 PM
I find it funny there's already a "FIRE Mia Love" Facebook page based on her vote for Boehner. Seriously, keyboard warriors are so reactionary and don't get that she's not gonna risk her committee assignment or getting bridges burned on her first day with her first vote. That wouldn't get her anyway.

I'm not going to bash her for this decision. It is the smart thing to do from a political standpoint. But it is a very slippery slope. Once the mafia asks you for a favor, you can be sure that there will be more expected in the future. Join them and play ball, or else...

Reminiscent of Kerry Bentivolio. The "can't vote for Pelosi" reasoning is the same tactic that Boehner used on Bentivolio more than once, most recently on the CRomnibus rules vote.

Love's explanation:

“There were no qualified or notable campaigns for speaker within the Republican Party other than John Boehner,” Love said. “Casting a vote for a candidate who has not actively campaigned and does not have the support to be speaker is an indirect vote for Nancy Pelosi, and I will not vote for Nancy Pelosi.”

Love also reminded voters that she is playing the long game when it comes to fighting for conservative principles.

“There will be a time and a place for me to stand as a lone voice of dissension, but the vote for the speaker, is not that place,” Love said. “For me to be an effective congressman over the next two years it is important for me to be on the side of the elected speaker.”

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/mia-love-explains-why-she-voted-for-john-boehner-as-house-speaker/article/2558302

NACBA
01-07-2015, 03:19 PM
I'm honestly lost as to why she receives so much admiration around here...

It's because of her last name

francisco
01-07-2015, 03:29 PM
...I'm honestly lost as to why she receives so much admiration around here...

It's because of her last name

Just realized, she could totally co-opt the "r3VOLution" logo

RandallFan
01-07-2015, 03:48 PM

Rand is running for President.

She almost lost a safe district.

Also I think some white Mormon voters don't believe she is a true Mormon.

Only Allen West or Santorum will get away with running nationally on such a poor performance.

Ronin Truth
01-07-2015, 03:54 PM
"I won't belong to any organization that would have someone like me as a member." -- Groucho Marx

fr33
01-07-2015, 08:51 PM
http://dailycaller.com/2015/01/07/mia-love-defends-vote-for-boehner-as-speaker/

Her given reasons for supporting Boehner are troubling and could be used for many more bad votes in the future. Here's hoping that's not the case.

euphemia
01-07-2015, 09:31 PM
She is a breath of fresh air.

We've already seen Boehner's true colors. He is overtly punishing those who voted against him by denying them committee chairs and whatnot. The establishment is still in control. I hope they shoot themselves in the foot pretty soon so we can get some real change.

Matt Collins
01-07-2015, 09:40 PM

That said, she is nice on the eyes and a change of pace from the old White men we're used to seeing in the GOP.
If she was principled, she could've gone to Bohner and said "I can't vote for you because of my district, but I won't fight you either" and then cast a PNV.

While I would prefer all of them to take a stand, I have come to recognize that politics do exist within society, and as such, her safest strategic move would be to do nothing.

amy31416
01-07-2015, 09:54 PM
Rand is running for President.

She almost lost a safe district.

Also I think some white Mormon voters don't believe she is a true Mormon.

Only Allen West or Santorum will get away with running nationally on such a poor performance.

Didn't the Mormon's have some serious issues with institutionalized racism in the near past?

angelatc
01-07-2015, 09:56 PM
If she was principled, she could've gone to Bohner and said "I can't vote for you because of my district, but I won't fight you either" and then cast a PNV.

While I would prefer all of them to take a stand, I have come to recognize that politics do exist within society, and as such, her safest strategic move would be to do nothing.

You've got that wrong. Voting present could have handed Pelosi the gavel because Speaker is elected based on an absolute majority of votes cast, not just the person who got the most votes. But a PNV vote does not count at all. It only effectively reduces the number of Republicans who voted.

The upstarts would have been closer to victory if the Democrats at Cuomo's funeral had shown up and voted for Pelosi.

Mr.NoSmile
01-08-2015, 09:13 AM
She is a breath of fresh air.

We've already seen Boehner's true colors. He is overtly punishing those who voted against him by denying them committee chairs and whatnot. The establishment is still in control. I hope they shoot themselves in the foot pretty soon so we can get some real change.

Good luck with that.

Matt Collins
01-08-2015, 09:16 AM
You've got that wrong. Voting present could have handed Pelosi the gavel because Speaker is elected based on an absolute majority of votes cast, not just the person who got the most votes. But a PNV vote does not count at all. It only effectively reduces the number of Republicans who voted.

The upstarts would have been closer to victory if the Democrats at Cuomo's funeral had shown up and voted for Pelosi.Interesting... thanks for pointing that out