PDA

View Full Version : Study Reveals Police Officers More Likely To Shoot White Citizens Due To Social Pressures

AuH20
01-06-2015, 12:15 PM
There goes that meme.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2015/jan/5/police-officers-more-hesitant-to-shoot-black-suspe/

The results back up what one of the researchers, University of Missouri-St. Louis professor David Klinger, has found after independently interviewing more than 300 police officers: While they don’t want to shoot anybody, they really don’t want to shoot black suspects.

“Across these 300 interviews, I have multiple officers telling me that they didn’t shoot only because the suspect was black or the suspect was a woman, or something that would not be consistent with this narrative of cops out there running and gunning,” said Mr. Klinger, a former cop and author of “Into the Kill Zone: A Cop’s Eye View of Deadly Force” (2006).

“When it comes to the issue of race, I’ve never had a single officer tell me, ‘I didn’t shoot a guy because he was white.’ I’ve had multiple officers tell me, ‘I didn’t shoot a guy because he was black,’ ” Mr. Klinger said. “And this is 10, even 20 years ago. Officers are alert to the fact that if they shoot a black individual, the odds of social outcry are far greater than if they shoot a white individual.”

Schifference
01-06-2015, 12:20 PM
//

acptulsa
01-06-2015, 12:23 PM
“When it comes to the issue of race, I’ve never had a single officer tell me, ‘I didn’t shoot a guy because he was white.’ I’ve had multiple officers tell me, ‘I didn’t shoot a guy because he was black,’ ” Mr. Klinger said.

What happened to the standard of, 'I didn't shoot because I didn't need to in order to live through the day'?

Or does that only happen in stories that begin, 'Once upon a time...'

tod evans
01-06-2015, 12:26 PM
Study Reveals Police Officers More Likely To Shoot White Citizens Due To Social Pressures

staerker
01-06-2015, 12:31 PM
While they don’t want to shoot anybody, they really don’t want to shoot black suspects.

Absolutely a lie, easily deducible. If you are truly factoring in the pigment of someone's skin or the resulting social outcry, in the "heat of the moment," you don't need to shoot.

They (those who do shoot) do want to shoot people, and the victim's skin only plays a factor if they decide the social outcry outweighs their sadistic high in mutilating innocents.

jmdrake
01-06-2015, 12:34 PM
Absolutely a lie, easily deducible. If you are truly factoring in the pigment of someone's skin or the resulting social outcry, in the "heat of the moment," you don't need to shoot.

They (those who do shoot) do want to shoot people, and the victim's skin only plays a factor if they decide the social outcry outweighs their sadistic high in mutilating innocents.

True. Now here is a study I'd like to see. How many times have the police decided not to shoot and the result was some innocent person got killed? I'm willing to bet...almost never.

CaptUSA
01-06-2015, 12:35 PM
“Across these 300 interviews, I have multiple officers telling me that they didn’t shoot only because the suspect was black or the suspect was a woman, or something that would not be consistent with this narrative of cops out there running and gunning,” said Mr. Klinger, a former cop and author of “Into the Kill Zone: A Cop’s Eye View of Deadly Force” (2006).

No bias in that study. None whatsoever. :rolleyes:

juleswin
01-06-2015, 02:12 PM
I have to first say that I hate survey researches. They ae hard to sample and at the end of the day, you are not sure if the participants are telling you just want they think instead of how they would act in a given situation. Anyone remember the survey about coffee where the participants claimed they loved black strong coffee when that wasn't actually what they drank. So yes, people in surveys tend to say what they they is common sense.

But yes, the results was something I would have expected. Why would anybody want to be in the national spotlight for killing a black person? I mean, its very likley to be expensive and maybe dangerous to your life if a sizable portion of the population believe the shooting wasn't justified. But yet there are thousands of police incident where they use excessive force, steal and kill innocent citizens. It could be possible that a large portion of the police force are ethical and wouldn't steal, shoot or use excessive force on a black or white or even white person and instead there is a small group of police officers who are responsible for all the misconduct from the police.

There could also be cases where stress and trauma which leads them to abandon the kind of behavior they profess to the researcher to follow. I will give Darrell Wilson the Molyenux treatment for a moment. The man lost his mother at a tender age of 16yrs, recently divorced and starting a new relationship. All of which could be stressful and traumatic. I wouldn't be surprised if some trauma in their lives lead to behaviors such as the case we see making national news.

Oh well, just try not to kill anybody

libertarianMoney
01-06-2015, 04:07 PM
Who can blame them?

Anyone know the last time a white guy got shot by cops and people started rioting?

That raises an odd question in my mind.

Which is worse, people freaking out over potentially justified police killings or people not freaking out over obviously unjustified police killings?
(Seriously, Michael Brown when you got that kid who "shot himself" while handcuffed?)

THX 1138
01-06-2015, 04:30 PM
If Michael Brown had been white, I doubt anyone would care about his death.