PDA

View Full Version : So I ran into a Rudy supporter...

davechat7
12-03-2007, 04:47 PM
as I walked from the movie theater to Barnes and Noble today. He approached me with a clipboard in his hand. He had a sheet of paper with about 10 signatures on it. He asked me if I was a registered voter. I said "yes, in New York. Who are you out here for?" He then says I am collecting signatures to get Rudy Giuliani on the ballot in Virginia. Now, I wasn't trying to be rude, but before I could help it, I found myself saying "F@%k Rudy Giuliani. Here's the man you need to be voting for." Then I opened my jacket and showed him the Ron Paul Hope for America t-shirt I was wearing. I then wished him a nice day and went about my business.

BLS
12-03-2007, 04:48 PM
Ha Ha Ha.....nice work.

Although you should have tried to recruit him.

Jordan
12-03-2007, 04:48 PM
Not the best response ;)

F**k Rudy, but hey, I think I would sign that petition. There is no reason why anyone should be left off a ballot.

JosephTheLibertarian
12-03-2007, 04:49 PM
what a tool

kylejack
12-03-2007, 04:50 PM
You should have asked him if he was being paid to collect signatures.

tonyTheBest
12-03-2007, 04:54 PM
Here's is a better way: Try to convert him to a Ron Paul supporter.

AMack
12-03-2007, 04:54 PM
Haha

Seriously though, we shouldn't be doing stuff like that... even though it would probably feel really good.

I did some canvassing on my campus recently. My school (Villanova University) is pretty conservative. I had a few people practically yelling at me "I support the war, you can't change my mind!" when all I was asking them to do was take a tri-fold, whether they chose to support Ron Paul or not. Please try to resist the urge to be rude.

Its the difference between these guys going back to their Rudy chatrooms and meetings and saying "Man, I met a Ron Paul supporter today and he was really courteous and chill." versus saying "Wow those RP supporters are real toolboxes. Why would anyone want to support him?"

Adamsa
12-03-2007, 04:55 PM
He was probably being paid to do that work.

adpierce
12-03-2007, 04:56 PM
I don't think I despise any individual as much as Guiliani. I have nothing but contempt for the man. That being said sometimes he says some things that I agree with. For example, I think the line-item veto is unconstitutional and so does Guiliani. I think a lot of the people who support Guiliani just don't understand how wrong he is on so much, and they get distracted and by some of the things which he says which are true. Another example, he says that you don't necessarily need to raise taxes to get more governmental funds. Often by lowering taxes people then have more money to free up for investment and profit gain. By having a more wealthy population you get more revenue from taxes at a lower tax rate. I'd agree with that, it's sound economic theory. Too bad his theories don't actually match up enough with his policies. Sad little man... he knows enough of the truth to make his lies seem convincing.

Paulitician
12-03-2007, 04:56 PM
LOL. All of Rudy's "volunteers" are paid.

Revolutn
12-03-2007, 05:02 PM
Not the best response ;)

F**k Rudy, but hey, I think I would sign that petition. There is no reason why anyone should be left off a ballot.

Says you.

No offense but apparently you haven't tried to collect any signatures for this campaign.

If you had, you would know that a minority, but still some people refuse to sign citing I support candidate X.

I'd simply respond, I understand, however signing this does not make the man President, merely allows his name on the ballot.

In some cases this worked but in some it was flat out NO.

So, while you might be the better person, realize there are others out there who don't share your sense of fairness.

Rev

davechat7
12-03-2007, 05:02 PM
Well, I wasn't purposely trying to be a dick to the guy, it just came out before I could help it. In retrospect, I should have had a conversation with the guy. I couldn't have signed his petition even if I wanted to because I am military and not a Virginia resident legally. I did wish him a nice day and that wasn't done harshly, I was pleasant about it and I meant it.

Revolutn
12-03-2007, 05:04 PM
Well, I wasn't purposely trying to be a dick to the guy, it just came out before I could help it. In retrospect, I should have had a conversation with the guy. I couldn't have signed his petition even if I wanted to because I am military and not a Virginia resident legally. I did wish him a nice day and that wasn't done harshly, I was pleasant about it and I meant it.

Bah, don't let the wishy washy ones get you down.

Bravo for tellin it like it is.

Guy was a paid hack anyway I guarantee it.

apc3161
12-03-2007, 05:06 PM
Here's is a better way: Try to convert him to a Ron Paul supporter.

Agreed

DealzOnWheelz
12-03-2007, 05:08 PM
Just because he was getting sigs for rudy doesn't mean he was paid. There are still alot of sleeping americans in this country that have no idea and need their eyes opened

DirtMcGirt
12-03-2007, 05:09 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Br31mdP8-Ug

Must see! Too much antics at the end but WOW!

Cowlesy
12-03-2007, 05:16 PM
You'll catch more flies with honey than you will with vinegar.

AMack
12-03-2007, 05:19 PM
Most of them are simply caught up by his image as the hero of 9/11. Rudy's supporters are generally the most pro-war in the Republican party. I'm talking about the crazies that want to attack Iran and spread the war on terror throughout the Middle East.

When I convert pro-war Republicans, I focus on the economic blowback of this war, rather than whether or not there are terrorists who want to follow us home or the war was justifiable. Republicans are more likely to agree with you there, and once they respect RP enough to actually consider some of his other points, they'll come around there too.

Huckabee draws the social conservatives. They're generally not too difficult to convert because they're not turned off to a candidate by low poll numbers.

Romney supporters (like my dad) can sometimes be tricky because some of them focus on Romney's successful businessman past. They think that he'll magically fix the government as if it were just another olympics. I also focus on economics here, an area in which Dr. Paul can run circles around Romney.

McCain supporters are also pretty hardcore pro-war. Half of them think he's got some sort of telepathic connection to every soldier in Iraq so that he knows exactly what the troops are thinking. One of my ROTC buddies is a McCain supporter. He thinks that war is some kind of glorious adventure. Unfortunately I haven't figured out a formula to convert McCain supporters.

Thompson supporters aren't too hard to convert. Most of them are intelligent enough to acknowledge that Thompson is a flop. I try to find the common ground with them on general conservative issues. Many of them are looking for a "genuine conservative" so I mention Barry Goldwater and Ronald Reagan, Ron's endorsements by Goldwater Jr. and his friendship with Reagan, and ask them simply to check out RP online.

shadow26
12-03-2007, 05:20 PM
Haha

Seriously though, we shouldn't be doing stuff like that... even though it would probably feel really good.

I did some canvassing on my campus recently. My school (Villanova University) is pretty conservative. I had a few people practically yelling at me "I support the war, you can't change my mind!" when all I was asking them to do was take a tri-fold, whether they chose to support Ron Paul or not. Please try to resist the urge to be rude.

Its the difference between these guys going back to their Rudy chatrooms and meetings and saying "Man, I met a Ron Paul supporter today and he was really courteous and chill." versus saying "Wow those RP supporters are real toolboxes. Why would anyone want to support him?"

Wonder if the draft would change his mind?

UtahApocalypse
12-03-2007, 05:22 PM
I was expecting this thread to say.....

"Then I hit the brakes"

torchbearer
12-03-2007, 05:28 PM
I was expecting this thread to say.....

"Then I hit the brakes"

And then reverse.... and then forward again. Rinse and repeat.

foofighter20x
12-03-2007, 05:35 PM
Not the best response ;)

I wouldn't do that!!

Some state laws say that you can only sign ONE candidate's ballot petition. If you sign for another candidate, then you might not be able to sign for Paul to be on the ballot.

piotr1
12-03-2007, 05:42 PM
LOL. All of Rudy's "volunteers" are paid.

How can i become a paid Rudy "volunteer"? ?

.........can't promise i'd be very productive though. 8)

Midnight77
12-03-2007, 05:45 PM
Not the best response ;)

Well, I would normally agree. But the establishment is trying to do the same to us, so .....

quickmike
12-03-2007, 05:49 PM
as I walked from the movie theater to Barnes and Noble today. He approached me with a clipboard in his hand. He had a sheet of paper with about 10 signatures on it. He asked me if I was a registered voter. I said "yes, in New York. Who are you out here for?" He then says I am collecting signatures to get Rudy Giuliani on the ballot in Virginia. Now, I wasn't trying to be rude, but before I could help it, I found myself saying "F@%k Rudy Giuliani. Here's the man you need to be voting for." Then I opened my jacket and showed him the Ron Paul Hope for America t-shirt I was wearing. I then wished him a nice day and went about my business.

Sure you could have handled it better, but I did pretty much the same thing when Fred's people called me.

I told them "Fred Thompson is a crooked bastard and I would never vote for any of those shills." Told them I was for Ron Paul all the way or nothing and hung up the phone.

Its hard to be nice in the heat of the moment.

Mark Rushmore
12-03-2007, 05:50 PM
Most of them are simply caught up by his image as the hero of 9/11. Rudy's supporters are generally the most pro-war in the Republican party. I'm talking about the crazies that want to attack Iran and spread the war on terror throughout the Middle East.

Think if we start a movement to write-in Cheney, we could cost Rudy some votes then? ;)

OferNave
12-03-2007, 05:52 PM
Fuck Giuliani... but in a democracy, everyone should be allowed on the ballot. I'll sign any ballot access petition.

Also, if you're in a state where Ron Paul still isn't on, you could offer a trade. :)

torchbearer
12-03-2007, 05:55 PM
not a democracy, a republic

familydog
12-03-2007, 06:26 PM
Scratch that guy off ever becoming a supporter of Dr. Paul.

Ball
12-03-2007, 08:04 PM
I have to sympathize with the sentiment, but this is how I handled it (when I met a Rudy supporter):

(paraphrasing) "Gee, really? That guy has a lot of skeletons in his closet. The firefighters union in NY are actively campaigning against him due to the radios that didn't work on 9/11 because of a no-bid contract. His police comish and buddy Bernie Kerik was recently indicted for a huge laundry list of crimes. I wouldn't take him over Hillary, quite frankly."

A couple days later he said "I was watching Ron Paul on youtube the other day. He makes a lot of sense"

bbachtung
12-03-2007, 08:11 PM
You'll catch more flies with honey than you will with vinegar.

Yeah, but who wants to catch flies?

Roxi
12-03-2007, 10:58 PM
I have to sympathize with the sentiment, but this is how I handled it (when I met a Rudy supporter):

(paraphrasing) "Gee, really? That guy has a lot of skeletons in his closet. The firefighters union in NY are actively campaigning against him due to the radios that didn't work on 9/11 because of a no-bid contract. His police comish and buddy Bernie Kerik was recently indicted for a huge laundry list of crimes. I wouldn't take him over Hillary, quite frankly."

A couple days later he said "I was watching Ron Paul on youtube the other day. He makes a lot of sense"

FANtASTIC!!!

VRP08
12-03-2007, 11:13 PM
http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/23/23_28_100.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZNxdm824MSUS) you handled it very well!

http://www.smileycentral.com/sig.jsp?pc=ZSzeb114&pp=ZNxdm824MSUS (http://smiley.smileycentral.com/download/index.jhtml?partner=ZSzeb114_ZNxdm824MSUS&utm_id=7922)

Hurricane Bruiser
12-03-2007, 11:18 PM
Much better to try and recruit the guy. For us to win we have to pull some supporters from other campaigns. On Guiliani, he is bad on many areas but on taxes he's pretty good. He's not a liberal, he just wants the government to control your life.

JacobLyles
12-03-2007, 11:20 PM
I sign ballot petitions for every candidate, democracy is about choice!. They will do the same for you! Do you really think we can get on the ballot with ONLY Ron Paul supporters?

Are you even doing any ballot access work? Something tells me no.

JacobLyles
12-03-2007, 11:21 PM

Superb!

JacobLyles
12-03-2007, 11:22 PM
Fuck Giuliani... but in a democracy, everyone should be allowed on the ballot. I'll sign any ballot access petition.

Also, if you're in a state where Ron Paul still isn't on, you could offer a trade. :)

People are usually very nice to you, or at least respectful, if you are nice!