PDA

View Full Version : Meet the Republicans Who Will Vote Against Boehner

Brian4Liberty
01-05-2015, 04:42 PM
Meet the Republicans Who Will Vote Against Boehner
Jan. 5, 2015 by Pete Kasperowicz

As of Monday, ten House Republicans were expected to vote against John Boehner (R-Ohio) for House Speaker, and more GOP defections were possible before Tuesday’s election.

The ten that have come out against Boehner have said for years that Congress needs to change the way it operates, and believe that passage of the $1.1 trillion spending bill last month was just the latest example of how Congress has failed to tackle the big issues.
Boehner’s effort to deny members a vote on these issues last month gave several members a reason to declare against Boehner’s candidacy, including two who have put forward their names as alternative candidates:

Rep. Louie Gohmert (R-Texas) — Gohmert has long criticized the last-minute compromises that Boehner has struck, including those that GOP leaders have tried to move quickly for a vote. Earlier this year, Gohmert vowed to more closely watch over all activities on the House floor to ensure members know what they’re voting on.

“At this point, the Speaker’s election is not about a particular candidate. It is about whether we keep the status quo or make the change the country demands. I am putting forward my name for consideration as Speaker and hope that with a new Speaker, be that me or someone else, we can fight for the ideals and principles that the voters wanted when they elected us in November.”

Rep. Ted Yoho (R-Fla.) — Yoho was the first to offer his name as an alternative to Boehner, and said Republicans need to do a better job delivering on the promises they’ve made to voters.

“Our vote for a new Speaker is not a personal vote against Representative Boehner – it is a vote against the status quo,” Yoho said. “Our vote is a signal to the American people that we too, have had enough of Washington politics, and that we will stand with the American people. This is a renewed commitment of our Oath of Office, the people we represent, and the Constitution. In 2015, we will take America back, we will restore opportunity for every American, and we will rebuild America.”

It’s going to be incredibly difficult to oust Boehner. With 246 Republicans in the House in the 114th Congress, 29 GOP members would have to vote against Boehner to deny him a majority of 218. If that happens, it would spark another round of voting.

Two years ago, 12 Republicans voted against Boehner, a number that seemed managed to ensure Boehner would still win — he won with 220 votes.

While it’s an uphill fight, eight others have said publicly they would vote against the current speaker:

Dave Brat (R-Va.) — Brat, who ousted former Majority Leader Eric Cantor (R-Va.) earlier this year, said Congress needs new leadership to deal with immigration, overspending and Obamacare.

“While I like Speaker Boehner personally, he will not have my support for Speaker,” he wrote in an op-ed for Breitbart. “Washington is broken in part because our party’s leadership has strayed from its own principles of free market, limited government, constitutional conservatism.”

Jim Bridenstine (R-Okla.) — Bridenstine voted against Boehner two years ago when he was a freshman, and will do so again.

“In my opinion, this vote is between continuing the status quo or moving in a new direction,” he said. “Members of Congress now have two good choices, neither one including a vote for the status quo.”

Paul Gosar (R-Ariz.) — Gosar voted for Boehner last time around, but won’t this time.

“I cannot stand beside the same leadership that has offered up bills too large to read, used parliamentary tricks to bring bills to the floor and has refused to take swift action against the president and his Administration’s unconstitutional actions,” he said.

Walter Jones (R-N.C.) — Jones voted against Boehner two years ago, and said last month he would not be voting for Boehner again. Jones had not put out any statement this week with any additional details.
Rep. Tom Massie (R-Ky.) — Massie voted against Boehner two years ago.

“I will vote for a speaker who can articulate a constitutional vision for America and facilitate an inclusive and orderly legislative process that allows Congress to truly reflect the will of the people.”
More: http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2015/01/05/meet-the-seven-republicans-who-will-vote-against-boehner/

----

Update: the 25 who didn't vote for Boehner.

Here are the Republicans who voted against John Boehner for speaker

In the biggest defection from an incumbent speaker in at least 100 years, 25 House Republicans voted for someone other than John Boehner to serve as speaker in the 114th Congress.

Here's the full list, in order:

Rep. Justin Amash (Mich.) -- Rep. Jim Jordan (R-Ohio)
Rep. Brian Babin (Tex.) -- “present”
Rep. Rod Blum (Iowa) -- Rep. Dan Webster (R-Fla.)
Rep. Dave Brat (Va.) -- Rep. Jeff Duncan (R-S.C.)
Rep. Jim Bridenstine (Okla.) -- Rep. Louie Gohmert (R-Tex.)
Rep. Curt Clawson (Fla.) -- Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.)
Rep. Scott DesJarlais (Tenn.) -- Jordan
Duncan -- Rep. Trey Gowdy (R-S.C.)
Rep. Scott Garrett (N.J.) -- Webster
Rep. Chris Gibson (N.Y.) -- House Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.)
Rep. Paul Gosar (Ariz.) -- Webster
Gohmert -- Gohmert
Rep. Tim Huelskamp (Kan.) -- Webster
Rep. Walter Jones (N.C.) -- Webster
Rep. Steve King -- Webster
Rep. Tom Massie (Ky.) -- Rep. Ted Yoho (R-Fla.)
Rep. Mark Meadows (N.C.) -- Webster
Rep. Rich Nugent (Fla.) -- Webster
Rep. Gary Palmer (Ala.) -- Sen. Jeff Sessions (R-Ala.)
Rep. Bill Posey (Fla.) -- Webster
Rep. Scott Rigell (Va.) -- Webster
Rep. Marlin Stutzman (Ind.) -- Webster
Rep. Randy Weber (Tex.) -- Gohmert
Webster -- Webster
Yoho -- Yoho
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-fix/wp/2015/01/06/here-are-the-republicans-who-voted-against-john-boehner-for-speaker/

TaftFan
01-05-2015, 05:17 PM
Haven't heard Justin Amash speak on this-I read that Labrador and Mulvaney, who voted against Boehner last time and were marginalized, and going to vote for him this time. Wonder if Amash sided with them? They are real close.

Dianne
01-05-2015, 05:26 PM
Boehner is far more dangerous than Obama because peeps really believe he is a republican that will stop Obama, when he is a RINO advancing Obama's agenda. Unfortunately the majority of the republican congress are RINO's as well so I'm afraid the Obama monarchy will have free reign for another two years ... that is if we are lucky enough to get rid of King Obama in two years.

THX 1138
01-05-2015, 06:02 PM
Boehner is far more dangerous than Obama because peeps really believe he is a republican that will stop Obama, when he is a RINO advancing Obama's agenda. Unfortunately the majority of the republican congress are RINO's as well so I'm afraid the Obama monarchy will have free reign for another two years ... that is if we are lucky enough to get rid of King Obama in two years.

You are exactly right. And I would say the majority of Republicans are more or less just like Boehner.

Brian4Liberty
01-05-2015, 06:11 PM
Haven't heard Justin Amash speak on this-I read that Labrador and Mulvaney, who voted against Boehner last time and were marginalized, and going to vote for him this time. Wonder if Amash sided with them? They are real close.

They haven't put their necks on the line yet. We'll see when the actual vote comes up. Extremely dangerous thing to go up against the Majority Leader and Speaker. He will make everyone pay who dares defy him.

William Tell
01-05-2015, 06:13 PM
They haven't put their necks on the line yet. We'll see when the actual vote comes up. Extremely dangerous thing to go up against the Majority Leader and Speaker. He will make everyone pay who dares defy him.

The establishment already tried to beat Justin and failed. I doubt he would want to tarnish the liberty movements perception of his record with a vote for Boehner.

Southron
01-05-2015, 06:39 PM
While I can understand wanting to oppose Boehner publicly, you are really hurting yourself if you cant get enough votes.

H. E. Panqui
01-05-2015, 06:43 PM
William Tell asserts: "I doubt he would want to tarnish the liberty movements perception of his record with a vote for Boehner."

:confused:

(What about golden-boy Rand?! Will he be tarnished with a vote for stinking Mitch McConnell??) :eek:

William Tell
01-05-2015, 06:47 PM
William Tell asserts: "I doubt he would want to tarnish the liberty movements perception of his record with a vote for Boehner."

:confused:

(What about golden-boy Rand?! Will he be tarnished with a vote for stinking Mitch McConnell??) :eek:
In some peoples eyes. I know some people who like Justin Amash but not Rand Paul do to that sort of thing, I think Justin wants to keep being viewed as the best man in Congress.

William Tell
01-05-2015, 06:48 PM
While I can understand wanting to oppose Boehner publicly, you are really hurting yourself if you cant get enough votes.

Louie threw his vote to Allen West last time, someone might as well run since they are going to be voting against Boehner as it is.

Brian4Liberty
01-05-2015, 06:50 PM

That's the story of politics. Boehner and the establishment can make that argument on any vote. You can voice your opposition on votes when they give you permission to do it. Good doggies. Go sit in the corner.

William Tell
01-05-2015, 06:54 PM
That's the story of politics. Boehner and the establishment can make that argument on any vote. You can voice your opposition on votes when they give you permission to do it. Good doggies. Go sit in the corner.

Gohmert will come out of this as a folk hero in some peoples eyes, I wonder what his long term plans are.

Southron
01-05-2015, 07:22 PM

Leadership takes these votes more personally than others.

If you ran on voting against Boehner then by all means keep your word though.

Mr.NoSmile
01-05-2015, 08:55 PM
I think Justin wants to keep being viewed as the best man in Congress.

Who has made that claim? And more than that, has Amash even encouraged or claimed that title?

William Tell
01-05-2015, 08:59 PM
Who has made that claim? And more than that, has Amash even encouraged or claimed that title?

I don't know, I thought it goes without saying a lot of people think of him that way. I think most Libertarian types I see online consider him the most 'pure'. I am sure Justin has noticed that too, and I doubt he would want to lose people respect by voting for Boehner which would really gain him nothing anyway.

Mr.NoSmile
01-05-2015, 09:09 PM
I don't know, I thought it goes without saying a lot of people think of him that way. I think most Libertarian types I see online consider him the most 'pure'. I am sure Justin has noticed that too, and I doubt he would want to lose people respect by voting for Boehner which would really gain him nothing anyway.

Yet that can't be proven or quantified, nor do I think people would turn on Amash because of one vote when no member of Congress is infallible. Can't really go without saying if there's no backing or proof to it outside of liberty folks. Hell, a lot of Republicans would probably call Paul Ryan the best viewed man by their approximation.

William Tell
01-05-2015, 09:16 PM
Yet that can't be proven or quantified, nor do I think people would turn on Amash because of one vote when no member of Congress is infallible. Can't really go without saying if there's no backing or proof to it outside of liberty folks. Hell, a lot of Republicans would probably call Paul Ryan the best viewed man by their approximation.

How can it not go without saying that "lot of people think of him that way"?
Obviously only liberty folks matter in this case, they are his supporters. Believe it or not, there are a number of people who he would lose with that vote. Purists. I don't care what Paul Ryan supporters think. From a Constitutional/Liberty perspective I think Massie and Amash are clearly the best of those in office last session. Amash is better known and more popular than Massie outside RPF and KY.

Mr.NoSmile
01-05-2015, 10:51 PM
How can it not go without saying that "lot of people think of him that way"?
Obviously only liberty folks matter in this case, they are his supporters. Believe it or not, there are a number of people who he would lose with that vote. Purists. I don't care what Paul Ryan supporters think. From a Constitutional/Liberty perspective I think Massie and Amash are clearly the best of those in office last session. Amash is better known and more popular than Massie outside RPF and KY.

Because lot of people doesn't equal most or even all. And those Paul Ryan supporters obviously wouldn't care what you think either, but they're greater in numbers and have more ins than types like Amash and Massie because these two don't buckle to towing the party line. Sure, that gains them supporters in their own rights, but they aren't the ones with the biggest name recognition. And yes, some purists would flip out over one vote- they're idiots.

William Tell
01-05-2015, 11:38 PM
Because lot of people doesn't equal most or even all. And those Paul Ryan supporters obviously wouldn't care what you think either, but they're greater in numbers and have more ins than types like Amash and Massie because these two don't buckle to towing the party line. Sure, that gains them supporters in their own rights, but they aren't the ones with the biggest name recognition. And yes, some purists would flip out over one vote- they're idiots.

I was only talking about the liberty movement. So I don't even know what we are disagreeing on.

William Tell
01-05-2015, 11:41 PM
Curt Clawson has come out against Boehner. 552274763230760963

William Tell
01-06-2015, 12:50 AM
I wonder how Rod Blum will vote?

fr33
01-06-2015, 01:01 AM
There is no good reason for Boehner winning unless the GOP wants to prove that they are feckless.

William Tell
01-06-2015, 07:36 AM
Amash announced on facebook that he will vote for a new speaker. Like I said he would, because he is principled and not an idiot. He knows who butters his bread.

jmdrake
01-06-2015, 08:13 AM

True. There is an old saying. "Wound not the king."

jmdrake
01-06-2015, 08:13 AM
There is no good reason for Boehner winning unless the GOP wants to prove that they are feckless.

You still have doubts that the GOP is feckless?

William Tell
01-06-2015, 10:26 AM
Congressman Randy Weber is backing Gohmert now:

William Tell
01-06-2015, 10:48 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B6rTilIIMAUmEu1.png

enhanced_deficit
01-06-2015, 11:39 AM
Boehner is dope.

Mr.NoSmile
01-06-2015, 11:44 AM
Massie speaking for Yoho. Nice way to put himself up there. But with Boehner and Pelosi running again...it's like an endless cycle.

William Tell
01-06-2015, 11:56 AM
Daniel Webster of Florida is challenging Boehner for the speakership.

Things got a bit more interesting in the race for Speaker of the House on Tuesday, as a new name was tossed into the ring: Rep. Daniel Webster of Florida. (What a historically interesting name!) With just an hour to go before the vote, Roll Call (http://blogs.rollcall.com/218/third-candidate-to-challenge-boehner-for-speakership/?dcz=) looked at the new contestant:

Webster, who is entering his third term, would not comment on his candidacy in a hallway interview with CQ Roll Call Tuesday morning.
But Reps. Thomas Massie of Kentucky and Marlin Stutzman of Indiana both of whom plan to vote for a candidate other than Boehner, confirmed the news.
A member of the 2010 class, Webster has conservative credentials but is less of a flame-thrower than the two other members who plan to put themselves forward as speaker candidates: Reps. Louie Gohmert of Texas and Ted Yoho of Florida.
In order to force a second ballot on the floor Tuesday, the first day of the 114th Congress, Boehner will have to lose more than 28 votes.
Massie, one of the most active participants in the group of House Republicans working to secure votes for a Boehner alternative, said that as of Tuesday morning there were 17 members committed to supporting someone else.
So not only is Webster upsetting the state-by-state calculus Boehner relied upon for victory, but he’s “less of a flame-thrower” than Gohmert and Yoho. In other words, he’s regarded as a more serious candidate with broader appeal across the Republican caucus, which means the appetite for such a candidate was strong enough to prompt him to step forward. That doesn’t bode well for the current Speaker’s re-election effort.

http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2015/01/06/daniel-webster-challenges-boehner-for-speaker/

Brian4Liberty
01-06-2015, 02:24 PM

Here are the Republicans who voted against John Boehner for speaker

In the biggest defection from an incumbent speaker in at least 100 years, 25 House Republicans voted for someone other than John Boehner to serve as speaker in the 114th Congress.

Here's the full list, in order:

Rep. Justin Amash (Mich.) -- Rep. Jim Jordan (R-Ohio)
Rep. Brian Babin (Tex.) -- “present”
Rep. Rod Blum (Iowa) -- Rep. Dan Webster (R-Fla.)
Rep. Dave Brat (Va.) -- Rep. Jeff Duncan (R-S.C.)
Rep. Jim Bridenstine (Okla.) -- Rep. Louie Gohmert (R-Tex.)
Rep. Curt Clawson (Fla.) -- Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.)
Rep. Scott DesJarlais (Tenn.) -- Jordan
Duncan -- Rep. Trey Gowdy (R-S.C.)
Rep. Scott Garrett (N.J.) -- Webster
Rep. Chris Gibson (N.Y.) -- House Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.)
Rep. Paul Gosar (Ariz.) -- Webster
Gohmert -- Gohmert
Rep. Tim Huelskamp (Kan.) -- Webster
Rep. Walter Jones (N.C.) -- Webster
Rep. Steve King -- Webster
Rep. Tom Massie (Ky.) -- Rep. Ted Yoho (R-Fla.)
Rep. Mark Meadows (N.C.) -- Webster
Rep. Rich Nugent (Fla.) -- Webster
Rep. Gary Palmer (Ala.) -- Sen. Jeff Sessions (R-Ala.)
Rep. Bill Posey (Fla.) -- Webster
Rep. Scott Rigell (Va.) -- Webster
Rep. Marlin Stutzman (Ind.) -- Webster
Rep. Randy Weber (Tex.) -- Gohmert
Webster -- Webster
Yoho -- Yoho
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-fix/wp/2015/01/06/here-are-the-republicans-who-voted-against-john-boehner-for-speaker/

Mr.NoSmile
01-06-2015, 02:25 PM

Well, let's see what the rebels have to lose for it? We already know what Amash lost when he didn't tow the party line. What about the others?

Brian4Liberty
01-06-2015, 02:28 PM

Mr.NoSmile
01-06-2015, 02:38 PM

And get nothing for it in the process except for some internet kudos.