PDA

View Full Version : Police Union pushes to classify cop killings as hate crimes....

phill4paul
01-05-2015, 03:06 PM
In general cop killers rarely make it to trial. If they do they are always indicted. They are always convicted and are always subjected to the highest punishment afforded by law. But, we need to classify it as a hate crime now...

In the wake of the murder of two New York City police officers and a national debate about policing, the National Fraternal Order of Police is asking for the Congressional hate crimes statute to be expanded to include crimes against police officers. The union has more than 300,000 members.

Violence against police officers that is motivated by anti-police bias should be prosecuted as a hate crime, the nation’s largest police union is arguing in a letter to President Barack Obama and Congressional leaders this week.

“Right now, it’s a hate crime if you attack someone solely because of the color of their skin, but it ought to be a hate crime if you attack someone solely because of the color of their uniform as well,” said Jim Pasco, the executive director of the National Fraternal Order of Police.

“Enough is enough! It’s time for Congress to do something to protect the men and women who protect us,” Chuck Canterbury, the president of the union, said in a statement Monday. The group has long lobbied for harsher punishment for those who harm law enforcement officers.

The organization argues that “ambush attacks” — like the one in which NYPD officers Rafael Ramos and Wenjian Liu were killed last month — are frequently motivated by hatred of the police. According to FBI statistics, about 21.7 percent of non-accidental law enforcement deaths since 2004 were ambush attacks.

In general, the number of law enforcement officers killed in the line of duty has declined since the 1970s, reflecting the fall of violent crime in the United States in general. It’s not clear who in Congress would take up the union’s call to introduce such legislation. In the past, Democrats such as Gabrielle Giffords of Arizona and Republicans such as Peter King of New York have sponsored union-backed bills.

A hate crime is defined by Congress as a “criminal offense against a person or property motivated in whole or in part by an offender’s bias against a race, religion, disability, ethnic origin or sexual orientation.” If local authorities decline to prosecute a hate crime, the federal government can take over, making hate crime offenders more likely to face prosecution.

http://news.yahoo.com/police-union-pushes-for-cops-to-be-included-in-federal-hate-crimes-law-183729328.html

CaptainAmerica
01-05-2015, 03:15 PM
police unions should be classified as hate groups

Christian Liberty
01-05-2015, 03:19 PM
police unions should be classified as hate groups

I was gonna say cops are a hate crime...

tod evans
01-05-2015, 03:38 PM
"The organization argues that “ambush attacks”are frequently motivated by hatred of the police"

Written by some cocksucker who makes his living "ambushing" citizens....:rolleyes:

Stop exhibiting the exact same behavior you criticize and maybe, just maybe, there would be less hatred?

Remember though there are literally hundreds of thousands of families that you and your blue brethren have already ruined with your stormtrooper tactics so don't be surprised if it takes a few generations to calm down.......

acptulsa
01-05-2015, 03:47 PM
“Right now, it’s a hate crime if you attack someone solely because of the color of their skin, but it ought to be a hate crime if you attack someone solely because of the color of their uniform as well,” said Jim Pasco, the executive director of the National Fraternal Order of Police.

Only if you want to have your officers tried for hate crimes if they hassle someone for wearing gang colors, or a Ron Paul t-shirt, or driving a red Camaro. Hate crimes are pretty stupid. I don't want them at all. If a person commits a crime, it matters little why unless that reason is extenuating and makes the act excusable. But they were created to heap extra punishment on people who attack other people for, say, the color of their skin or other things they have no control over. Unless it's Prison Orange, people have control over the color of uniform they wear.

phill4paul
01-05-2015, 03:51 PM
Only if you want to have your officers tried for hate crimes if they hassle someone for wearing gang colors, or a Ron Paul t-shirt, or driving a red Camaro. Hate crimes are pretty stupid. I don't want them at all. If a person commits a crime, it matters little why unless that reason is extenuating and makes the act excusable. But they were created to heap extra punishment on people who attack other people for, say, the color of their skin or other things they have no control over. Unless it's Prison Orange, people have control over the color of uniform they wear.

I've noticed in the local paper individuals charged with "assault on a female by a male." I've yet to see a charge of "assault on a male by a female."

PRB
01-05-2015, 03:53 PM
last time I checked, hate crime requires the victim group to be a minority or protected group (in this context, protected means the law will protect people who cannot protect themselves with extra care). So police would not at all qualify.

jkr
01-05-2015, 03:53 PM
BITCHEZ!

fisharmor
01-05-2015, 04:20 PM
Well, I have a guaranteed way we can immediately reduce the number of cops killed in the US every year to zero.

Ronin Truth
01-05-2015, 04:35 PM
Yeah, lots of folks and their dogs really hate getting shot by cops.

Weston White
01-06-2015, 01:05 AM
A. No, that is not it, not at all. Anger against police is attributable to their complete lack of accountability in the realm of justice after having acted with negligence or malice towards the defenseless—specifically when it comes to minorities. Ironic is it not?

B. I would be willing to concede that violence towards police is a ‘hate crime’ when the “police” concede that their practices of saturating and their “stop and frisk” policies throughout primarily poverty stricken neighborhoods is also a ‘hate crime’ directed at those of lesser ability or means.

C. It is official. This all is now moving past the point of being utterly ridiculous.