PDA

View Full Version : Mitch McConnell's main goal for GOP: Don’t be scary

NACBA
01-05-2015, 07:55 AM
Mitch McConnell has an unusual admonition for the new Republican majority as it takes over the Senate this week: Don’t be “scary.”

The incoming Senate majority leader has set a political goal for the next two years of overseeing a functioning, reasonable majority on Capitol Hill that scores some measured conservative wins, particularly against environmental regulations, but probably not big victories such as a full repeal of the health-care law. McConnell’s priority is to set the stage for a potential GOP presidential victory in 2016.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/new-senate-majority-leaders-main-goal-for-gop-dont-be-scary/2015/01/04/80d27196-9074-11e4-a900-9960214d4cd7_story.html?hpid=z1

Origanalist
01-05-2015, 08:00 AM
///

Mr.NoSmile
01-05-2015, 08:22 AM
“Don’t try to reinvent yourself. Be yourself, number one. And don’t be afraid of a primary. We will win all the primaries. We did it in ’14. We will do it in ’16,” McConnell said.

Most, not all. More in the Senate, if you look at folks like McConnell, Graham and Cochran beating back their challengers easily.

"...I want the American people to be comfortable with the fact that the Republican House and Senate is a responsible, right-of-center, governing majority,”

Said no one, ever.

specsaregood
01-05-2015, 08:42 AM
Avoiding those moments could make for a less “scary” Congress, giving the Republicans a better chance in 2016 to hit the trifecta and gain the White House. His own horse is already chosen, Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.), but don’t expect McConnell to be out on the campaign trail or doing any other favors for his home-state colleague.

“I’m going to be supporting Rand Paul. But he knows that beyond that, I won’t be involved in presidential politics. I’ve got a big job here,” he said.

That last line is funny considering the bulk of the article is based around setting up an atmosphere to encourage a 2016 GOP presidential win and his idea of limiting the scope of things to stuff they can agree on and not a "grand bargain" is straight out of Randal's talking points.

ZENemy
01-05-2015, 08:50 AM
Imagine if there goal was to minimize government like that claim it is?

Here is a tip, they are all LIARS.