PDA

View Full Version : And Then There Were None...

ChristianAnarchist
01-04-2015, 07:15 PM
I love this short story and was quite surprised to find out how old it is...

by Eric Frank Russell

Chapter 1

[The ambassador] went silent as the ship closed in and the planet’s day-side face rapidly expanded. Then followed the usual circling and photographing. A lot of villages and small towns were to be seen, also cultivated areas of large extent. It was obvious that this planet—while by no means fully exploited—was in the hands of colonists who were energetic and numerically strong.
Relieved that life was full, abundant and apparently free from alien disease. Grayder brought the ship down onto the first hard-standing he saw. Its enormous mass landed feather-like on a long, low hump amid well-tended fields. Again all the ports became filled with faces as everyone had a look at the new world.
The midway airlock opened, the gangway went down. As before, exit was made in strict order of precedence starting with the Ambassador and finishing with Sergeant Major Bidworthy. Grouping near the bottom of the gangway they spent the first few moments absorbing sunshine and fresh air.
His Excellency scuffled the thick turf under his feet, plucked a blade of it grunting as he stooped. He was so constructed that the effort came close to an athletic feat and gave him a crick in the belly.
‘Earth-type grass. See that, Captain? Is it just a coincidence or did they bring seed with them?’
‘Could be either. Several grassy worlds are known. And almost all colonists went away loaded with seeds.’
‘It’s another touch of home, anyway. I think I’m going to like this place.’ The Ambassador gazed into the distance, doing it with pride of ownership. ‘Looks like there’s someone working over there. He’s using a little motor-cultivator with a pair of fat wheels. They can’t be very backward, it seems.
‘H’m-m-m !’ He rubbed a couple of chins. ‘Bring him here. We’ll have a talk and find out where it’s best to make a start.’ ‘Very well.’ Captain Grayder turned to Colonel Shelton. ‘His Excellency wishes to speak to that farmer.’ He pointed to the faraway figure.
‘That farmer,’said Shelton to Major Hame. ‘His Excellency wants him at once.’
‘Bring that farmer here,’ Hame ordered Lieutenant Deacon. ‘Quickly.’
‘Go get that farmer,’ Deacon told Sergeant Major Bid-worthy. ‘And hurry—His Excellency is waiting.’

http://www.abelard.org/e-f-russell.php

ChristianAnarchist
01-06-2015, 12:00 PM
F.-I.W.
Read the story to see what this means. I'm thinking of bumper stickers, signs, graffiti everywhere. If people just learn the power of F.-I.W...

Lucille
01-06-2015, 12:14 PM
I have that book! It's been decades since I read it. I know I liked it because I kept it. I'll give it a fresh look and be back.

Anarchy in action – an excellent model of an anarchist or free society – abelard