PDA

View Full Version : Fighting red maps in purple states (court cases over redistricting)

tangent4ronpaul
01-04-2015, 05:21 PM
http://www.politico.com/story/2015/01/fighting-red-maps-in-purple-states-113932.html?google_editors_picks=true

How about getting rid of districts instead?
Moratorium on advertising - take the money out of elections
Have a series of debates between ALL the candidates that are broadcast
give each voter 3 votes
do not list party affiliation on ballots
The candidates with the highest vote count statewide win.

Seems like it would solve a lot of problems.

thoughts?

-t

specsaregood
01-04-2015, 05:45 PM
http://www.politico.com/story/2015/01/fighting-red-maps-in-purple-states-113932.html?google_editors_picks=true
How about getting rid of districts instead?

So completely eliminate the idea that people that live in a community might have values and interests other than people that live in different communities? They shouldn't be represented by somebody their own community chose? Don't like the sound of that, sounds like a way to kill off the rural vote.

Moratorium on advertising - take the money out of elections

I know that makes a great soundbite, but are you sure you want to go down that rabbit hole? Your solution to our problems is to further restrict freedom of speech?
What is "advertising"? Is having a webpage promoting your candidacy "advertising" Sure seems like it. Maybe only webpage with no domain, only an ip address? Is handing out a flyer promoting your candidacy "advertising"? Is having a news outlet running a softball interview of you as a candidate "advertising" I think you opponents would deem it so. Is giving a presentation at a forum you are invited to, advertising? Is allowing a reporter to ride on your campaign bus, advertising? Hell, even having a campaign bus would be advertising.

This suggestion only results in an even less informed populace. Hard to believe, but I can't see it resulting in anything else.

Have a series of debates between ALL the candidates that are broadcast

And is attending these debates mandatory? Who is going to host these debates? Who is going to pay for them? who will decide the format and the questions? Will media be required to broadcast the debates? Will they be required to cover every question and answer by every single candidate? Hell, maybe we should require people to watch these proposed debates under punishment of torture if they don't.

give each voter 3 votes

Why 3? Why not 10, 20? why not 1 vote for every single candidate for every position.

do not list party affiliation on ballots

I have no problem with this; but its already been deemed racist and not allowed. Because according to democrats, black people are too ignorant to know who to vote for unless each candidates party is clearly labeled on the ballot.

tangent4ronpaul
01-04-2015, 06:15 PM
So completely eliminate the idea that people that live in a community might have values and interests other than people that live in different communities? They shouldn't be represented by somebody their own community chose? Don't like the sound of that, sounds like a way to kill off the rural vote.

Good point about the rural vote.
A large problem is that somewhat under 50% of people are not represented by whoever gets elected.
Redistricting manipulates who is in that so called community to include those that will vote for the party in power and exclude those that are not.

I know that makes a great soundbite, but are you sure you want to go down that rabbit hole? Your solution to our problems is to further restrict freedom of speech?
What is "advertising"? Is having a webpage promoting your candidacy "advertising" Sure seems like it. Maybe only webpage with no domain, only an ip address? Is handing out a flyer promoting your candidacy "advertising"? Is having a news outlet running a softball interview of you as a candidate "advertising" I think you opponents would deem it so. Is giving a presentation at a forum you are invited to, advertising? Is allowing a reporter to ride on your campaign bus, advertising? Hell, even having a campaign bus would be advertising.

This suggestion only results in an even less informed populace. Hard to believe, but I can't see it resulting in anything else.

Maybe limit what can be spent on a campaign? Otherwise elections are bought for favors. Incumbents become entrenched and getting someone better in the position is incredibly difficult.

And is attending these debates mandatory? Who is going to host these debates? Who is going to pay for them? who will decide the format and the questions? Will media be required to broadcast the debates? Will they be required to cover every question and answer by every single candidate? Hell, maybe we should require people to watch these proposed debates under punishment of torture if they don't.

Local public access TV stations and whatever other local stations want to air them?
format and such could be worked out.

Why 3? Why not 10, 20? why not 1 vote for every single candidate for every position.

just pulled a number out of my ass.

I have no problem with this; but its already been deemed racist and not allowed. Because according to democrats, black people are too ignorant to know who to vote for unless each candidates party is clearly labeled on the ballot.

Exactly. People should be voting for a candidate they are familiar with, not a R or a D. If they are clueless and guess, everyone should have a equal chance to get the clueless vote.

How about offering ideas for fixing redistricting?

-t