PDA

View Full Version : The Daily Beast: Are Police Stealing People’s Property?

NACBA
01-04-2015, 12:10 PM
Our asset forfeiture laws are a mess, and they’re letting cops confiscate property. Left and right ought to agree on this one.

“Don’t even bother getting a lawyer. The money always stays here.”

That’s what the Tenaha Police Department told 27-year-old Arkansan James Morrow after they confiscated $3,900 from his car for “driving too close to the white line.” The police reported the “odor of burned marijuana,” though no drugs were found in the car. Morrow was carted off to jail, while the car was impounded.

Eventually Morrow was released with no money, vehicle, or phone. “I had to go to Wal-Mart and borrow someone’s phone to call my mama,” he told The New Yorker. “She had to take out a rental car to come pick me up.”

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2015/01/02/are-police-stealing-people-s-property.html

Anti Federalist
01-04-2015, 12:25 PM
Why is this a question?

tod evans
01-04-2015, 12:36 PM
It's for the children........

ClydeCoulter
01-04-2015, 02:48 PM
Why is this a question?

^^^ THIS ^^^

surreal............

PaulConventionWV
01-04-2015, 03:40 PM
Gee, ya think they MIGHT be???

osan
01-04-2015, 05:02 PM
Our asset forfeiture laws are a mess, and they’re letting cops confiscate property. Left and right ought to agree on this one.

“Don’t even bother getting a lawyer. The money always stays here.”

That’s what the Tenaha Police Department told 27-year-old Arkansan James Morrow after they confiscated $3,900 from his car for “driving too close to the white line.” The police reported the “odor of burned marijuana,” though no drugs were found in the car. Morrow was carted off to jail, while the car was impounded.

Eventually Morrow was released with no money, vehicle, or phone. “I had to go to Wal-Mart and borrow someone’s phone to call my mama,” he told The New Yorker. “She had to take out a rental car to come pick me up.”

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2015/01/02/are-police-stealing-people-s-property.html

Police are now a separate species from humanity.

They are bloodless.

"Good cop". Feh.