PDA

View Full Version : Sarah Palin under fire for posting photos of her son standing on the family dog

RonPaulFanInGA
01-02-2015, 01:51 PM
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2894035/Sarah-Palin-sparks-outrage-posting-photo-son-standing-family-dog.html

The former Alaska governor posted three photos of Trig, 6, on her dog
She said the images are a symbol of using a stumbling block for good
Outraged commenters branded the incident as an example of animal abuse

Sarah Palin has sparked outrage by posting pictures on Facebook of her son standing on her dog.

The former Alaska governor described the three images of her six-year-old son Trig using the black Labrador for a stepping stool as 'a symbol of perseverance'.

But the message was met with an instant tirade of anger, with people branding Palin irresponsible.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2015/01/02/245EA4CC00000578-0-image-a-11_1420172357584.jpg

brushfire
01-02-2015, 02:13 PM
Everyone knows Trig is a huge Chris Angel fan... He's simply levitating just over the surface of the dog.
Sheesh...

http://static.tvtome.com/images/content_headers/program_new/39507.jpg

That floor looks cold - why do these people hate children?

phill4paul
01-02-2015, 02:26 PM
Dog's will let children know when "enough is enough." I've seen these kind of corrections many times. Rarely resulting in broken skin and giving a new profound respect on the kid's part for their "buddy."

Natural Citizen
01-02-2015, 03:03 PM
Dog's will let children know when "enough is enough." I've seen these kind of corrections many times. Rarely resulting in broken skin and giving a new profound respect on the kid's part for their "buddy."

Yep. As far as what we see in the picture here, if the dog had a problem with the boy doing that then he'd just get up and move. Cripes, I used to ride on my dogs like a horse when I was young.

Cissy
01-02-2015, 03:13 PM
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2894035/Sarah-Palin-sparks-outrage-posting-photo-son-standing-family-dog.html

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2015/01/02/245EA4CC00000578-0-image-a-11_1420172357584.jpg

Since she knows her kid likes to "help" washing dishes, why isn't there a stepping stool?

cajuncocoa
01-02-2015, 03:41 PM
Sarah Palin... *yawn*

Inkblots
01-02-2015, 03:43 PM
The people putting her under "fire" for this have obviously never owned a dog.

01-02-2015, 04:20 PM
Every Lab I've ever met will let kids climb all over them.

evilfunnystuff
01-02-2015, 04:42 PM
I'd be pissed at anybody (child or not) who treated my dog with that kind of disrespect, weather the dog minded or not.

phill4paul
01-02-2015, 04:56 PM
I'd be pissed at anybody (child or not) who treated my dog with that kind of disrespect, weather the dog minded or not.

A nephew used to bother a dog of mine to no end. I kept warning him "You keep that up you're gonna get bit." The dog musta been some kinda of saint because I broke before the dog did. I scooped him up and bit him so hard it left a bruise. I said " I warned you if you didn't stop you were gonna get bit." We laugh about it now. He says "I didn't know it was you that was gonna do the bitin'." Lol.

ctiger2
01-02-2015, 05:00 PM
The dog is loving the attn. The kid prob weighs 50lbs. Plz stand on me.

RJB
01-02-2015, 05:04 PM
No worries. He was just giving the dog a Russian Martial Art massage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4Y1sMXzfyQ

GunnyFreedom
01-02-2015, 05:44 PM
The people putting her under "fire" for this have obviously never owned a dog.

I've had dogs all my life. I'd skin my kid alive for doing this whether the dog minded or not. I sure as hell wouldn't take pictures and post them to the internet. The fact that she rewarded him for doing this is just absurd.

alucard13mm
01-02-2015, 05:52 PM
If course if the dog somehow hurts the kid, its the dogs fault.

Cissy
01-02-2015, 05:54 PM
The dog is loving the attn. The kid prob weighs 50lbs. Plz stand on me.

A male lab weighs bout 60 pounds.

How often do you have people weighing approximately 83% of your body weight standing on your spine for their convenience?

Cissy
01-02-2015, 05:56 PM
If course if the dog somehow hurts the kid, its the dogs fault.

Bingo. Then it becomes "that horrible service dog bit poor little Trig Palin. Horrid brute."

A dog may tolerate bad or undesired behavior---to a point (and just like humans, each dog has its own limits); but once you cross that line, the dog will correct the child on its own.

Some of the dogs that are put down for biting a child were, in fact, engaged in self-defense.

cajuncocoa
01-02-2015, 07:18 PM
I think Sarah Palin is an attention whore. Why post this in the first place? She can't get attention any other way lately?

specsaregood
01-02-2015, 07:27 PM
Sarah Palin... *yawn*
and yet you came back for more:

I think Sarah Palin is an attention whore. Why post this in the first place? She can't get attention any other way lately?

bored this evening?

cajuncocoa
01-02-2015, 07:29 PM

bored this evening? A little. Thanks for indulging my need for entertainment

RJB
01-02-2015, 07:32 PM

bored this evening?

I think she's just demonstrating her mind reading skills, because she summed up what I was thinking.

The interesting part of this thread is less about Sarah Palin, but rather the potential drama between the dog lovers who believe this is abuse and those who are saying,"Meh, the dog doesn't seem to mind."

specsaregood
01-02-2015, 07:37 PM
I think she's just demonstrating her mind reading skills, because she summed up what I was thinking.

The interesting part of this thread is less about Sarah Palin, but rather the potential drama between the dog lovers who believe this is abuse and those who are saying,"Meh, the dog doesn't seem to mind."

Yes, my thought upon seeing this thread was, "Sarah Palin, putting in some time practicing her trolling."

alucard13mm
01-02-2015, 08:17 PM
Ironic... the name trig. Trig reminds me of trigonometry. Which remids me of triangles.. which has 3 sides. The kid has down syndrome, which means he has trisomal chromosome. Was it deliberate and supposed to be cute?

angelatc
01-03-2015, 01:15 AM
Courtesy of Julie Boroski:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpf1/v/t1.0-9/10423322_880678708650287_1676823386526974098_n.png ?oh=8d2a047429a4ef22d294f7d7711564d5&oe=553381AD&__gda__=1425608903_109590bea0ff8e56d134c7ebed505d2 0

The liberals forgot to get all mad when Gay Ellen posted a pic of pretty much the same thing. $20 bucks - now they'll simply start accusing her of copying Ellen.

muh_roads
01-03-2015, 03:12 AM
Kids move around a lot and have ants in their pants. One false move and breaking the spine is possible.

tod evans
01-03-2015, 04:32 AM
The only problem with that kid and dog is adults.

Neither one of 'em needs protected by some grown idiot who knows better, leave 'em be.

ClydeCoulter
01-03-2015, 05:24 AM

Neither one of 'em needs protected by some grown idiot who knows better, leave 'em be.

^^^ THIS ^^^

Can't rep him right now. Someone cover me?

LibertyEagle
01-03-2015, 05:39 AM

Thank you for saying that.

RonPaulFanInGA
01-03-2015, 06:45 AM

The adult is the one responsible and liable for the kid's actions.

If a six-year-old brings a gun to school and shoots someone, it's not the kid that's the one getting hauled off to prison.

UWDude
01-03-2015, 06:58 AM
Vote Trig Palin 2048

ClydeCoulter
01-03-2015, 07:09 AM

If a six-year-old brings a gun to school and shoots someone, it's not the kid that's the one getting hauled off to prison.

Your off topic. It's about a kid and his dog...not an ssri riddled teen.

Origanalist
01-03-2015, 07:29 AM
He is obviously destroying that dogs self esteem. The poor thing is going to need therapy.

H. E. Panqui
01-03-2015, 08:42 AM
This is yet another circus distraction that Glenn Stinking Beck, Ruse Lowbrow, Sean Hannitwitty, and the rest of the gd Republican radio fools will talk about instead of talking about the massive monetary fraud, warmongerism, etc. going on...

STINKING...REPUBLICRATS...ALL...

tod evans
01-03-2015, 10:56 AM

As a responsible adult who has raised a 6 year old I'm quite comfortable saying that that dog (or any dog) is going to teach a kid more about proper behavior than some overprotective adult who is worried about others opinions.

The kids who pack guns to school are generally the kids raised in a bubble.

Kids do well when they're permitted to run free, to eat dirt, to rough-n-tumble and even to get bitten by the dog they push to far, it's part of growing up in the real world....

Dr.3D
01-03-2015, 11:23 AM
He is obviously destroying that dogs self esteem. The poor thing is going to need therapy.
Yeah, cats know these things.

Origanalist
01-03-2015, 10:27 PM
Yeah, cats know these things.

We arrange them.

jmdrake
01-03-2015, 10:49 PM
No worries. He was just giving the dog a Russian Martial Art massage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4Y1sMXzfyQ

Hmmmm....that's like kalarippayattu, the Indian ancestor of all asian martial arts. Only they use oil and the person being massaged is naked or nearly so.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TU9ao2aE9Cc

They also go live with real swords. In that "fight quest" episode, the western martial artist who went to India to train accidentally gashed his partner's mouth open.

jmdrake
01-03-2015, 10:51 PM

Why is that disrespectful?

http://i60.tinypic.com/2jb46yf.jpg

Origanalist
01-03-2015, 10:57 PM

http://cache1.asset-cache.net/gc/200348650-003-boy-standing-on-fathers-chest-in-bedroom-gettyimages.jpg

Picture doesn't show and access forbidden if you try to google the URL.

GunnyFreedom
01-03-2015, 11:28 PM

http://i60.tinypic.com/2jb46yf.jpg

Well the reason I would be angry is because it teaches the kid some pretty bad habits in handling certain breeds of dog, and the 'respect' issue comes more from an idea of respect for property. I'd be pretty angry if my kid were hitting his head against an antique grandfather clock, too, for example.

Some hyperbole in my earlier post, of course, but I would be adamant about teaching him to value that clock, and in the case of the dog, teaching him to value the dog.

Also, health-wise the...no, THIS dog's spine is just not as sturdy as we would like for such things. Breed, depending. If the kid were doing this to a Newfie (Hullo AF) I'd be grinning and chuckling, but a small-medium lab and I think Trig needs to be taught to be more careful with his livestock to keep from damaging them.

The one Ellen posted is actually less offensive, because the dog is bigger and sturdier, and the girl is smaller.

Put a bunch of different factors together, the size and age and breed of the dog, the size and age of the child. Palin's more than the rest looks like they don't care if they hurt the dog. A dog, caring for his people, can tolerate treatment all the way to real damage.

You say, "The dog will yell at him if it hurts" not necessarily, and especially not with an autistic child.

On a farm, I wouldn't put 150lb on a goat, and I wouldn't ask a horse to climb a mountain. Depending on temperament, either of those animals may try their damndest to comply with my demands.

Teach your children to treat your critters well. Also to make good judgements on how much one critter can handle/bear vs another critter. If the dog was a Newfie I'd put a saddle on the thing and let Trig have fun...but a Newfie can totally handle that.

This is a medium-small frame Lab, and Trig is big enough that he needs to be taught to step down and be careful not to hurt the dog. If Trig is obsessed with standing on dogs, then get a bigger dog that can better handle such a thing.

William Tell
01-03-2015, 11:39 PM
I can't believe y'all are still discussing this...
Actually, I can....:rolleyes::p

Cissy
01-03-2015, 11:39 PM
Well the reason I would be angry is because it teaches the kid some pretty bad habits in handling certain breeds of dog, and the 'respect' issue comes more from an idea of respect for property. I'd be pretty angry if my kid were hitting his head against an antique grandfather clock, too, for example.

Some hyperbole in my earlier post, of course, but I would be adamant about teaching him to value that clock, and in the case of the dog, teaching him to value the dog.

Also, health-wise the...no, THIS dog's spine is just not as sturdy as we would like for such things. Breed, depending. If the kid were doing this to a Newfie (Hullo AF) I'd be grinning and chuckling, but a small-medium lab and I think Trig needs to be taught to be more careful with his livestock to keep from damaging them.

The one Ellen posted is actually less offensive, because the dog is bigger and sturdier, and the girl is smaller.

Put a bunch of different factors together, the size and age and breed of the dog, the size and age of the child. Palin's more than the rest looks like they don't care if they hurt the dog. A dog, caring for his people, can tolerate treatment all the way to real damage.

You say, "The dog will yell at him if it hurts" not necessarily, and especially not with an autistic child.

On a farm, I wouldn't put 150lb on a goat, and I wouldn't ask a horse to climb a mountain. Depending on temperament, either of those animals may try their damndest to comply with my demands.

Teach your children to treat your critters well. Also to make good judgements on how much one critter can handle/bear vs another critter. If the dog was a Newfie I'd put a saddle on the thing and let Trig have fun...but a Newfie can totally handle that.

This is a medium-small frame Lab, and Trig is big enough that he needs to be taught to step down and be careful not to hurt the dog. If Trig is obsessed with standing on dogs, then get a bigger dog that can better handle such a thing.

I would say that given Trig has Down's Syndrome, he may require a more black and white rule "It is not okay to ride/stand on a dog. That is what a stepping stool is for."

The sad reality is, if this is not corrected, he may try this with someone else's dog. Someone else's dog may be less tolerant of a child with down's syndrome treating it that way, and may respond rather bluntly.

Then the Palinites will wail and gnash their teeth. "The neighbors' dog bit Trig Palin! It needs to be put down!"

Every domestic animal has its uses and its purpose---a dog is not a riding animal (horse) or an animal which has a back strong enough for a person to stand upon (circus elephant). Part of being a good steward of God's creation is teaching children not to force an animal to serve a purpose for which it is not suited.

jmdrake
01-03-2015, 11:45 PM

Trig wasn't "obsessed with standing on dogs." This is what happened.

'Trig just reminded me. He, determined to help wash dishes with an oblivious mama not acknowledging his signs for "up!", found me and a lazy dog blocking his way.

Now you seem to know a lot more about dogs than the average person. Definitely you know more than I do. I'll take your word for it that the weight of a 6 year old is too much for this particular breed. But it's quite possible that Sarah Palin didn't know that just like I didn't know that. And I think most people reacting to the picture don't know that either. I'm glad that Trig still likes to be helpful. I remember when my boys liked being helpful. Sadly TV and video games have taken over now. :(

satchelmcqueen
01-04-2015, 12:16 AM
well id give her some attention......(perverted middle aged man says)........

GunnyFreedom
01-04-2015, 12:51 AM

'Trig just reminded me. He, determined to help wash dishes with an oblivious mama not acknowledging his signs for "up!", found me and a lazy dog blocking his way.

Now you seem to know a lot more about dogs than the average person. Definitely you know more than I do. I'll take your word for it that the weight of a 6 year old is too much for this particular breed. But it's quite possible that Sarah Palin didn't know that just like I didn't know that. And I think most people reacting to the picture don't know that either. I'm glad that Trig still likes to be helpful. I remember when my boys liked being helpful. Sadly TV and video games have taken over now. :(

The size of that dog in particular is what got my jaw locking up.

To do an exercise in ad ridiculum in order just to grasp the nature of my angst, imagine with me for a moment...

A slightly beefy Chihuahua in the same position. For whatever reason the Chihuahua doesn't look to be stressed at all. In your minds eye you can picture the stress on the dog's skeleton, and see the child's lack of concern.

Now obviously this medium-size Lab is not nearly as delicate as a Chihuahua, but that reveals the 'flavor' of my stress, if you get my meaning. The Yellow Lab in Ellen's photo has a much larger frame than the Black Lab in Palin's. My anger would be towards the parents for failing to teach a level of empathy with a knowledge of the delicate nature of their dog's smaller frame.

I will say that Black Lab has some thick paws, so his frame may have some hidden thickness in it, but Trig is also going to get a lot heavier and in short order. He's too big already not to be correcting the behavior, and actually encouraging it is indeed irresponsible. Particularly WHERE his foot is on that dog's spine, another quarter or two of growth and that dog might get legitimately injured.

jmdrake
01-04-2015, 01:18 AM
I'm not sure you understand my main point. I will say it again. Trig is not [u]obsessed[/b] with standing on dogs. Trig was trying to be helpful by washing the dishes. I'm not sure what the little girl in the Ellen photograph was trying to do. I get that you're concerned with the well being of a medium sized dog. I get that Trig will eventually get bigger. Eventually the little girl in the photo that Ellen posted will be too big for the dog she is standing on as well. It doesn't sound like either dog was hurt. And more importantly, it doesn't look like there was an malicious intent on behalf of either child or either parent.

To do an exercise in ad ridiculum in order just to grasp the nature of my angst, imagine with me for a moment...

A slightly beefy Chihuahua in the same position. For whatever reason the Chihuahua doesn't look to be stressed at all. In your minds eye you can picture the stress on the dog's skeleton, and see the child's lack of concern.

Now obviously this medium-size Lab is not nearly as delicate as a Chihuahua, but that reveals the 'flavor' of my stress, if you get my meaning. The Yellow Lab in Ellen's photo has a much larger frame than the Black Lab in Palin's. My anger would be towards the parents for failing to teach a level of empathy with a knowledge of the delicate nature of their dog's smaller frame.

I will say that Black Lab has some thick paws, so his frame may have some hidden thickness in it, but Trig is also going to get a lot heavier and in short order. He's too big already not to be correcting the behavior, and actually encouraging it is indeed irresponsible. Particularly WHERE his foot is on that dog's spine, another quarter or two of growth and that dog might get legitimately injured.

Origanalist
01-04-2015, 01:22 AM
I'm not sure you understand my main point. I will say it again. Trig is not [u]obsessed[/b] with standing on dogs. Trig was trying to be helpful by washing the dishes. I'm not sure what the little girl in the Ellen photograph was trying to do. I get that you're concerned with the well being of a medium sized dog. I get that Trig will eventually get bigger. Eventually the little girl in the photo that Ellen posted will be too big for the dog she is standing on as well. It doesn't sound like either dog was hurt. And more importantly, it doesn't look like there was an malicious intent on behalf of either child or either parent.

I'm just not seeing it either. There are plenty of cases of real, disgusting abuse out there. This isn't one of them. Bad judgement? Probably. Is the dog injured or maimed? Highly doubtful.

charrob
01-04-2015, 01:55 AM
The retard standing on top the dog was much bigger, and much heavier, than the dog. It's amazing the dog was not harmed.

The retard and his derelict mother may benefit from a course in empathy -- although I have no doubt it's beyond their reach. :mad:

LibertyEagle
01-04-2015, 04:44 AM
This is yet another circus distraction that Glenn Stinking Beck, Ruse Lowbrow, Sean Hannitwitty, and the rest of the gd Republican radio fools will talk about instead of talking about the massive monetary fraud, warmongerism, etc. going on...

STINKING...REPUBLICRATS...ALL...

And apparently some libertariancrats on RPFs. lol

RPtotheWH
01-04-2015, 07:09 AM
Was the dog held there against its will? Trigs weight must have been so crushing it couldn't move while the fire-breathing Sarah Palin got a camera and took the pic. I am no fan of Sarah Palin but some of you are clinically insane, If the dog was bothered it would have jumped up and smashed trigs face on the counter before mommy could even get the camera.

Cissy
01-04-2015, 08:43 AM

The average six year old boy weights about 50 pounds.

A male black lab weighs about 60 pounds; a female, approx. 50-55 pounds.

So you literally have a situation in which the child potentially weighs as much, or nearly as much, as the dog---and is standing on the dog's spine.

For you, it would be like you waking up one morning to find someone weighing nearly as much as you do standing on your back.

Bear in mind that this particular dog has been trained to be more "tolerant" than most dogs, and so he will be even *less* likely than the average dog to show signs of distress or pain.

Cissy
01-04-2015, 08:47 AM
The retard standing on top the dog was much bigger, and much heavier, than the dog. It's amazing the dog was not harmed.

The retard and his derelict mother may benefit from a course in empathy -- although I have no doubt it's beyond their reach. :mad:

The kid has an excuse---the mother's reaction should have been "No!". Not "Gee, how cute and resourceful."

Though it is, perhaps, symbolic of her political philosophy (and the stance of the vast majority of politicians)---what matters is that you get what you want, regardless of who, or what, is in your way.

Cissy
01-04-2015, 08:49 AM

I'm predicting a future Facebook post will announce that the dog's spine *has* been injured (due to this or a future incident), and the Palinites will all bemoan the tragedy, pretending not to grasp how it could have happened, and eagerly donating to the cause.

Cissy
01-04-2015, 08:57 AM

We understand that he was trying to be helpful---but part of parenting is teaching kids *how to help*; in this case, the kid needs to learn to use a stepping stool, not a dog.

His mother needs to step up, parent, and save the "quick, let me grab the camera/smartphone" moments for times when her kid is not stepping on the dog.

The whole scenario *is* rather symbolic of popular political thought---get what you desire, when you want it--regardless of who, or what stands in her way. Not surprising that a politician-mother would post it to her Facebook page.

Origanalist
01-04-2015, 09:04 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3USMSdfFW5M

silverhandorder
01-04-2015, 10:03 AM
Its actually bad for him to be standing on the dog that way. It does cause damage but I see how she would not know about that. I tried to ride my mastif when i was a kid. Dogs dont let you stand on them or ride them when it hurts them. Which makes me surprised her dog didnt move.

Edit. Looking at the picture again most of his weight is on the counter. Thats why the dog is not minding.

Origanalist
01-04-2015, 10:08 AM

You really are a sweet person.

tod evans
01-04-2015, 10:23 AM
I'm predicting a future Facebook post will announce that the dog's spine *has* been injured (due to this or a future incident), and the Palinites will all bemoan the tragedy,

Raising dogs and kids together will help temper illogical responses....:rolleyes:

Dogs, even mellow labs, are not going to just lie there while they're hurt by a child they consider lower in the pack.

If a child (obviously not the child pictured) abuses a dog to the point the dog associates pain with the child's proximity the dog will either leave or fight, they'll NEVER just lie there.

Cissy
01-04-2015, 10:49 AM
Raising dogs and kids together will help temper illogical responses....:rolleyes:

Dogs, even mellow labs, are not going to just lie there while they're hurt by a child they consider lower in the pack.

If a child (obviously not the child pictured) abuses a dog to the point the dog associates pain with the child's proximity the dog will either leave or fight, they'll NEVER just lie there.

Most dogs, yes.

A "therapy dog" trained to be patient and *not* respond aggressively when touched or handled inappropriately by a boy with Down Syndrome? Color me skeptical.

Origanalist
01-04-2015, 02:03 PM
PALIN BLASTS PETA HYPOCRISY: ‘CHILL… AT LEAST TRIG DIDN’T EAT THE DOG

http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2015/01/03/palin-blasts-peta-hypocrisy-chill-at-least-trig-didnt-eat-the-dog/

William Tell
01-04-2015, 02:06 PM
PALIN BLASTS PETA HYPOCRISY: ‘CHILL… AT LEAST TRIG DIDN’T EAT THE DOG

http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2015/01/03/palin-blasts-peta-hypocrisy-chill-at-least-trig-didnt-eat-the-dog/

Lolz, Palin can be such a troll.:p

William Tell
01-04-2015, 02:08 PM
Here's what she's talking about:
http://www.examiner.com/article/palin-slammed-over-dog-and-child-photo-degeneres-draws-oohs-and-aahs-for-same

scottditzen
01-04-2015, 04:06 PM

I've trained labs for a living. They will risk their own health in order to satisfy their owners.

I'm not saying the dog was injured, but this pic just reinforces that Sarah Palin is an idiot.