PDA

View Full Version : Arrests Drop by 66% in NYC Following NYPD 'Work Stoppage'

Antischism
01-01-2015, 05:25 PM
Link (http://www.theatlantic.com/national/archive/2014/12/the-benefits-of-fewer-nypd-arrests/384126/)

[The slowdown] has helped contribute to a nose dive in low-level policing, with overall arrests down 66 percent for the week starting Dec. 22 compared with the same period in 2013, stats show.

Citations for traffic violations fell by 94 percent, from 10,069 to 587, during that time frame.

Summonses for low-level offenses like public drinking and urination also plunged 94 percent—from 4,831 to 300.

Even parking violations are way down, dropping by 92 percent, from 14,699 to 1,241.

Drug arrests by cops assigned to the NYPD’s Organized Crime Control Bureau—which are part of the overall number—dropped by 84 percent, from 382 to 63.

Policing quality doesn't necessarily increase with policing quantity, as New York's experience with stop-and-frisk demonstrated. Former Mayor Michael Bloomberg asserted that the controversial tactic of warrantless street searches "keeps New York City safe." De Blasio ended the program soon after succeeding him, citing its discriminatory impact on black and Hispanic residents. Stop-and-frisk incidents plunged from 685,724 stops in 2011 to just 38,456 in the first three-quarters of 2014 as a result. If stop-and-frisk had caused the ongoing decline in New York's crime rate, its near-absence would logically halt or even reverse that trend. But the city seems to be doing just fine without it: Crime rates are currently at two-decade lows, with homicide down 7 percent and robberies down 14 percent since 2013.

Hey look, the world isn't ending. Less cops as a net positive?! Why, I never! :eek:

jmdrake
01-01-2015, 05:29 PM
I hope they keep up the "work stoppage" through 2015 and crime stays low. Now wouldn't that be funny?

JK/SEA
01-01-2015, 06:14 PM
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agent_provocateur

i expect this....

Legend1104
01-01-2015, 07:58 PM
but....but... uhm... the terrorists?

Thaddaeus
01-01-2015, 08:11 PM
It's waaaay too soon to say anything about the crime rate. Bedlam isn't going to appear over night -- it will take time for people to respond to the idea of fewer police around, time for little schemes to be hatched.

otherone
01-01-2015, 08:48 PM
huh.
better get back to work soon...people might think you aren't needed.

PaulConventionWV
01-01-2015, 09:33 PM
And yet, somehow, society isn't tearing apart at the seams. Amazing.

PaulConventionWV
01-01-2015, 09:37 PM
//

Keith and stuff
01-01-2015, 11:38 PM
The union saved NYC. It used to be the least free place in the US. Now it is at least the most free place in NY. Also, crime dropped to suburban level. God bless the police union!

squarepusher
01-02-2015, 07:48 AM
interesting thread on reddit about this
http://www.reddit.com/r/politics/comments/2r2cti/the_benefits_of_fewer_nypd_arrests_but_the_police/

CaptUSA
01-02-2015, 07:54 AM
And yet, somehow, society isn't tearing apart at the seams. Amazing.

Yeah, but one of the city's funding mechanisms is taking a hit! The hidden tax on the citizenry that they call "fines" is going to create problems in their budgets if this is not corrected soon. Look for them to make up the difference once this latest kerfuffle dies down.

Working Poor
01-02-2015, 08:17 AM
Yeah, but one of the city's funding mechanisms is taking a hit! The hidden tax on the citizenry that they call "fines" is going to create problems in their budgets if this is not corrected soon. Look for them to make up the difference once this latest kerfuffle dies down.

For sure the tax payers are gonna pay.

JK/SEA
01-02-2015, 08:21 AM

start laying off cops.

problem solved.

nobody's_hero
01-02-2015, 04:01 PM
start laying off cops.

problem solved.

You could expect the union to be singing a different tune then.

The whole idea behind the curtailing of response, a strategy pushed by the unions, was to make Joe Public suffer so badly for lack of police protection that he cries out that we need to give police more power. The idea is to make the absence of police so painful that Joe Public will learn not to even question police actions, and that he is lucky to even have them around. Basically: "you don't know what you've got, 'til it's gone."

I think it's a bit too early to tell if it is backfiring or not.

CT4Liberty
01-02-2015, 06:34 PM
You could expect the union to be singing a different tune then.

The whole idea behind the curtailing of response, a strategy pushed by the unions, was to make Joe Public suffer so badly for lack of police protection that he cries out that we need to give police more power. The idea is to make the absence of police so painful that Joe Public will learn not to even question police actions, and that he is lucky to even have them around. Basically: "you don't know what you've got, 'til it's gone."

I think it's a bit too early to tell if it is backfiring or not.

That may be one of their hoped side "benefits" but I really think its much more about lost revenue to City Hall... they said so much in their response, that they blame the Mayor's office... all those tickets are more about fund raising than they are about public safety and without them, it puts a large hole in a very liberal budget....

Mani
01-04-2015, 10:08 PM
I wonder if some of the folks in NYC have been thinking...So this is what freedom feels like???

kcchiefs6465
01-04-2015, 10:20 PM
The union saved NYC. It used to be the least free place in the US. Now it is at least the most free place in NY. Also, crime dropped to suburban level. God bless the police union!
You must be smoking crack...

GunnyFreedom
01-04-2015, 10:28 PM
I bet if they did a poll, the avg New Yorker feels safer on the streets than before

GunnyFreedom
01-04-2015, 10:29 PM
You must be smoking crack...

The police union. because they stopped working.

GunnyFreedom
01-04-2015, 10:32 PM

LMAO and I bet the people feel safer in their neighborhoods too. Holy cow, I would never have imagined a freaking union saving New York City.

srsly doe; blitz-interview people in all the affected areas where arrests are down whatever~66% because of the work stoppage and ask people if they feel more safe or less safe. YouTube gold right there.

jonhowe
01-05-2015, 01:05 AM
New Yorker here. It's kind of strange...

Where I live is a higher crime area (northern manhattan/washington heights area). Not dangerous these days, but higher crime. (Mostly drug crime; thanks prohibitionists.) Where I work (upper east side) is a very low crime area (though, it is where many wall-street types live, so maybe that's not entirely true). I've seen many fewer cop cars near home, and many more near work in the last week or so. I mentioned it to a coworker the other day, BEFORE I heard this story about the work slowdown. The cops are all hanging out in the ritzy areas and taking it easy!

I'll start the poll: I feel safer. No one in my neighborhood has EVER hassled me in the 3 years I've been here, except to offer me pot. And maybe I would have accepted if I didnt fear it was a cop trying to fill his quota! Cops, on the other hand, routinely bother me. I've been stopped, searched, detained, etc. Never for committing a crime.

buck000
01-05-2015, 10:05 AM
Interesting perspective by Matt Taibbi:

http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/news/the-nypds-work-stoppage-is-surreal-20141231

SeanTX
01-05-2015, 11:51 AM
I guess the work stoppage doesn't apply to off-duty assaults by NYPD ... he's not been charged either -- part of the 'work slowdown' ?

Nah, business as usual there, but I'll bet a lot of the arrests they are refusing to make aren't for things like selling "loosie" cigarettes, but are for things involving real crimes (assaults, etc) -- just a way to punish the "animals" who want to hold them accountable.

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/nyc-crime/exclusive-subway-conductor-allegedly-attacked-speaks-article-1.2064483

EXCLUSIVE: Subway conductor allegedly assaulted by off-duty NYPD cop feared for her life

The 28-year-old victim was walking away from off-duty Officer Mirjan Lolja — who was irate about having to wait 20 minutes for a train — when he charged the transit worker on a Bronx platform two days before Christmas, she said.

“Before I turned around, this guy was on my back and I’m on the floor,” said the conductor, whose name The News is withholding.

“I was on my knees on the floor. It just happened so fast. I’m trying to get this guy off me and he’s not letting up. He’s choking me and pulling my hair.”

The Dec. 23 assault at the Tremont Ave. station on the D line continued even after the conductor’s coworker tried to stop Lolja (photo), the conductor said.

snip

But Lolja hasn’t been charged, angering John Samuelsen, president of Transport Workers Union Local 100, and Joe Costales, a division chairman representing conductors.

“The police officer who perpetrated this crime should have already been arrested,” Samuelsen said in a statement Friday.

snip

The conductor still can’t believe the alleged attacker was a cop.

“I thought people were lying,” she said. “I thought there’s no way it could be a police officer acting like that. I still can’t process it.”

snip

“I’m so overwhelmed,” she said. “Honestly, I just finished crying. I just want to go back to life as normal. Why did he mess with us like that? Why didn’t he leave us alone? Why?”

PRB
01-05-2015, 12:38 PM
it's only a crime if you get arrested

JK/SEA
01-05-2015, 12:47 PM
the question has been asked by the victim...'WHY'?...

hey tobismom, you got an answer for the victim?...

SeanTX
01-05-2015, 12:52 PM
the question has been asked by the victim...'WHY'?...

hey tobismom, you got an answer for the victim?...

I can't speak for tobismom, but I can give you the fine officer's answer : "because, fuck you, that's why!" .

Enjoy your (probably) paid vacay officer -- hopefully this will blow over soon with no charges and you can be out protectin' and servin' (beatdowns) again soon ...

BarryDonegan
01-05-2015, 01:08 PM
If this is what's considered a "work stoppage," maybe it should be a permanent one. =D