PDA

View Full Version : Protesters storm police headquarters in downtown St. Louis

Suzanimal
12-31-2014, 01:20 PM
ST. LOUIS, MO (KTVI)- What began as a ‘March to the Arch’ quickly changed early Wednesday morning as protesters stormed the front doors of the St. Louis Metropolitan Police Department headquarters. Their plan was to occupy the department for four and a half hours. The demonstrators refused to leave until those demands were met.

Around 10:30a.m., roughly 15 protesters entered the lobby and read a list of demands to department officials. Those demands included, a meeting with Chief Sam Dotson, Mayor Francis Slay or Board of Aldermen President, Lewis Reed. The protesters also want an immediate termination of Officer’s Flannery and Hayes. Their request also include amnesty for protesters who have been charged with non-violent offenses, a creation of a diverse citizens review board with subpoena power along with a seven day release of all information regarding police shootings not limited to transparent release of unedited videos and audio.

Deray McKesson, education professional and a Teach For America alum posted several vine videos and images via Twitter as the demonstration took place.

Protesters also placed hundreds of eviction notices along the outside of the building.

Signed, “We the People,” the notice read: “We are informing you that the police department is scheduled to be reclaimed by its citizens today, December 31, 2014.” Protesters also outlined a list of reasons why they feel a power shift should take place.

Once police made an attempt to remove the demonstrators from the building, the scene turned chaotic. Several people tried to rush through the doors of the department. Several demonstrators were pepper sprayed.

The department recently relocated from a 100-year-old building for one this new location at 1915 Olive Street in July of this year.

It is unclear if any arrests were made.

Demonstrators still remain outside of the building.

FOX 2 will keep you updated as details become available.

http://fox2now.com/2014/12/31/protesters-storm-police-headquarters-in-downtown-st-louis/

Watch live here
http://thefreethoughtproject.com/breaking-ferguson-protesters-occupied-stl-police-department/

http://i.imgur.com/4bD3cLo.png

Acala
12-31-2014, 01:29 PM
Woohoo! I still have no opinion about the underlying issues in that case, but people confrinting the police is good!

tod evans
12-31-2014, 01:50 PM
I'm with 'em on everything but the "black-n-brown" and "cultural diversity" part.

That'd obviously be taken care of if the kops were from the neighborhood they patrolled and to me it just screams more racial BS..

It's a shame these folks are trying to make it a racial issue instead of a kop issue.

Acala
12-31-2014, 01:52 PM
I'm with 'em on everything but the "black-n-brown" and "cultural diversity" part.

That'd obviously be taken care of if the kops were from the neighborhood they patrolled and to me it just screams more racial BS..

It's a shame these folks are trying to make it a racial issue instead of a kop issue.

Agreed. As soon as it becomes about race, the government wins.

twomp
12-31-2014, 03:09 PM

I agree with you in theory but that doesn't apply in real life. If you were one of these protesters and you looked left and right, you would probably only see black and brown people. Not to say there's NO white people there but very few. IF even 20% of the white communities in America took to the streets to protest police abuse, there would be change but as it currently stands, only the minorities most affected by police brutality are protesting.

I agree it's not a white vs. black thing, its a cop vs. us thing but right now there are certain groups who feel the pain of the baton more than others.

Working Poor
12-31-2014, 03:13 PM
Agreed. As soon as it becomes about race, the government wins.

I am sure they can find some black robocops to beat them over the head.

tod evans
12-31-2014, 03:22 PM
I agree with you in theory but that doesn't apply in real life. If you were one of these protesters and you looked left and right, you would probably only see black and brown people. Not to say there's NO white people there but very few. IF even 20% of the white communities in America took to the streets to protest police abuse, there would be change but as it currently stands, only the minorities most affected by police brutality are protesting.

I agree it's not a white vs. black thing, its a cop vs. us thing but right now there are certain groups who feel the pain of the baton more than others.

I agree and understand, problem is though just as soon as anyone makes it about race ol' white Boobus tunes out because it doesn't concern him.

Screaming race does tend to coalesce minorities but then it's at the expense of including the majority...

Smart money says make the kops the minority that the citizenry is against, that's why I think there's so much pro-kop propaganda being foisted on Boobus right now. If he actually starts looking at the "Just-Us" department and what it's doing to all the citizens he's going to come uncorked and government doesn't want that.

It looks to me as if everyone is playing the role government is pushing on them right now and unfortunately the only change I see coming is more government.