PDA

View Full Version : Profile on Erick Ericson in The Atlantic: "the Tea Party hates me"

randomname
12-30-2014, 05:17 PM
http://www.theatlantic.com/features/archive/2014/12/is-the-most-powerful-conservative-in-america-losing-his-edge/383503/

Is the Most Powerful Conservative in America Losing His Edge?

“Nationally, people think of me as a Tea Party person, and I am,” Erickson told me. “But in Georgia, the Tea Party can’t stand me.” The local movement, he explained, is dominated by libertarian followers of former Congressman Ron Paul, and Erickson has opposed many of its chosen candidates. Erickson’s conservatism is of a more traditional bent, deeply informed by his evangelical faith. He believes Republicans must not yield in pursuit of small government, strong national defense, and the primacy of the traditional family.

Erickson especially enjoys needling Mitch McConnell, whom he regards as “a cancer on the Senate Republican caucus.”

Erickson sounded almost gleeful as he told me about the Tea Party hating him. He seems to delight in confounding expectations, and in almost every way, he refuses to be pigeonholed: he is a southerner who defines himself by his small-town sensibility, but he spent most of his childhood in Dubai. He speaks for the conservative grass roots, but he pals around with cable-news regulars and Beltway elites. He’s a strict no-compromises ideologue, but during his one foray into elected office, he was a model of bipartisan cooperation.

Erickson dismisses criticism of his vulgar taunts as pearl-clutching by politically correct prigs with no sense of humor. (Offensive as some of his comments may be, he makes them in a tone of mockery, not spit-flying rage.) But he also has grown more reflective in the past year, at times even calling out his own readers and listeners for their excesses. In August, he wrote, “I increasingly find conflict between my faith and some conservative discourse.” He cited the right-wing furor over undocumented minors, Ebola, and the protests in Ferguson, Missouri. Shortly after I visited him in Georgia, he announced that he had been accepted to the Reformed Theological Seminary in Atlanta, to pursue—part-time, between radio broadcasts—a master’s degree in biblical studies.

Bastiat's The Law
12-30-2014, 05:28 PM
He's a tard on almost everything.

JK/SEA
12-30-2014, 05:29 PM
he needs to eat more beef fat covered in salt.

otherone
12-30-2014, 05:48 PM
He’s a strict no-compromises ideologue, but during his one foray into elected office, he was a model of bipartisan cooperation.

"hypocrite" is shorter.