PDA

View Full Version : Yay Government!

Acala
12-30-2014, 08:50 AM
My Father, a WWII vet, is trying to round up a couple ribbons from his service in the ETO. As instructed by a government website, he wrote to the National Personnel Records Center (a division of the National Archives) to inquire after his service record so he could have missing items replaced. This is what he got in return:

"Dear Recipient:

Thank you for contacting the National Personnel Records Center. The record needed to answer your inquiry is not in our files. If the record were here on July 12, 1973, it would have been in the area that suffered the most damage in the fire on that date and was destroyed. The fire destroyed the major portion of records of Army military personnel for the period 1912 through 1959 , . . ."

Really? One job. You people had ONE SIMPLE JOB. Keep the documents safe. And you allowed the records of Army servicemen from WWI, WWII, and Korea to be destroyed. Nobody thought to make a microfilm copy and store it in a different location? Maybe keep the records in fireproof containers? Nope. Just store the originals in cardboard boxes in a big warehouse. "What could possibly go wrong?"

When you start thinking that the government is going to crush us all under relentless tyranny, just remember, and take solace in the fact, that the government is actually composed of incompetent idiots. A silver lining I guess.

Ronin Truth
12-30-2014, 08:55 AM
Take comfort in the probable future fact that the government will eventually kill us all, by accident and incompetence and not on purpose.

phill4paul
12-30-2014, 09:03 AM
My dad keeps all of his records in a fire safe. You should see it. Talk about a stack of papers. Hell, I still have all of mine, flung on some bookself around here. My folder is about 3 1/2 inches thick and that was just for 3 active/3 reserve. I'd imagine your dad's was probably 4 foot thick.

tod evans
12-30-2014, 09:05 AM
My dad keeps all of his records in a fire safe. You should see it. Talk about a stack of papers. Hell, I still have all of mine, flung on some bookself around here. My folder is about 3 1/2 inches thick and that was just for 3 active/3 reserve. I'd imagine your dad's was probably 4 foot thick.

I burnt mine.

phill4paul
12-30-2014, 09:16 AM
I burnt mine.

Heh, I admit I'm a document rat, but hey, if the world goes to shit at least I have outhouse paper. :p In my dad's case he kept all his own records so that he has documentation for all his retirement pay. Tomorrow's when the government check comes in and as he says "The Eagle shit's today." Lol.

Weston White
12-30-2014, 09:28 AM
Maybe this will help:

(From http://www.medalsofamerica.com/content--name-Getting_Started_With_Your_Military_Medals_Ribbons, just as one example.)

Help! How do I get my or family member’s service records?

If you don’t already have your DD214’s or separation papers, you can request these documents form the National Archives. The National Archives have the tools on their homepage to do all sorts of digging. There are links to several archival databases for serious digging but most people will just use what they call the eVetRecs found here:http://www.archives.gov/veterans/military-service-records/

You can do it all online, or fill out the SF-180 to mail or fax in the request. Below is some info you will need.

This information includes:

•The Veteran's complete name used while in service

•Service number

•Social security number

•Branch of service

•Dates of service

•Date and place of birth (especially if the service number is not known).

•If you suspect your records may have been involved in the 1973 fire, also include:

◦Place of discharge

◦Last unit of assignment

◦Place of entry into the service, if known.

•All requests must be signed and dated by the Veteran or next-of-kin.

•If you are the next of kin of a deceased Veteran, you must provide proof of death of the Veteran such as a copy of death certificate, letter from funeral home, or published obituary.

It is not a fast service because of the amount of people requesting documents, but it is a wonderful service that is free for most Veterans. If you are able to do it all online, they will even send you email confirmations. Just be patient and friendly, they will do the rest. Trust me, they take the job of retrieving the service records you need very seriously and will call all kinds of other government locations to get answers.

To see more, take a look at their video. http://www.archives.gov/press/press-releases/2011/nr11-20.html

Acala
12-30-2014, 09:40 AM
Maybe this will help:

(From http://www.medalsofamerica.com/content--name-Getting_Started_With_Your_Military_Medals_Ribbons, just as one example.)

Thanks!