PDA

View Full Version : Wary NYPD Cops Letting Minor Infractions Slide

AuH20
12-29-2014, 12:55 PM
http://nypost.com/2014/12/29/wary-cops-letting-minor-offenses-slide/

With cops on edge following the assassination of two patrol officers on a Brooklyn street, many officers have started turning a blind eye to some minor crimes, sources told The Post, while a union mandate that two patrol cars respond to all police calls has led to slower response times to non-emergencies.
“I’m not writing any summonses. Do you think I’m going to stand there so someone can shoot me or hit me in the head with an ax?” One cop said Sunday, referring to the Dec. 20 slayings and another recent attack on the NYPD.

“I’m concerned about my safety,” the cop added. “I want to go to home to my wife and kids.”
An NYPD supervisor noted, “My guys are writing almost no summonses, and probably only making arrests when they have to — like when a store catches a shoplifter.”

And the Patrolmen’s Benevolent Association directive for cops to respond with at least two patrol cars has resulted in a manpower shortage that’s delaying response times to non-emergencies — such as burglaries or car crashes without injuries — to as much as four hours, sources said.

ClydeCoulter
12-29-2014, 01:05 PM
"When the people fear their government ...."

Acala
12-29-2014, 01:07 PM
It seems like a bassackwards way to go about it, but if the result is the cops only enforcing laws that the vast majority of people support, then good. If the cop business gets truly dangerous, maybe they won't be so quick to use it for EVERYTHING.

PaulConventionWV
12-29-2014, 01:08 PM
Good. I hope they're afraid. I hope they love their families so much that they quit being a corrupt fascist asshole cop.

CaptainAmerica
12-29-2014, 01:34 PM
they will be back to their bullying tactics in no time if they aren't already back at it

AuH20
12-29-2014, 01:36 PM
they will be back to their bullying tactics in no time if they aren't already back at it

The system is dependent on the revenue. Read the Schoolcraft thread. These cops are berated and intimidated if they don't meet their 'C' Summonses Quota by the end of the month.

twomp
12-29-2014, 01:36 PM
Does this mean they will take a break from choking people to death the evil crime of selling cigarettes?

AuH20
12-29-2014, 01:49 PM
This is what we're dealing with. City Hall and the NYCPBA are all in cahoots.

He caught some of the same things that Schoolcraft recorded, particularly the quota pressure.

"Twenty [summonses] and one [arrest, the monthly quota]—make sure you take care of what you gotta take care of," a supervisor tells cops in one of Polanco's tapes. "I don't give a shit," another supervisor tells him. "You need to take care of your business, feel me? As a cop to a cop, make sure you take care of what you gotta take care of."

Polanco also recorded something more controversial: two police union delegates haranguing him to increase his summons and arrest numbers.

In one conversation, a Patrolmen's Benevolent Association delegate tells Polanco: "Twenty and one is what the union wants. . . . This is what the job is coming down to."

Later, another delegate tells cops in a roll call, "Things are not going to get any better. It is going to get a lot worse. If you think getting one and 20 is breaking your balls, guess what you're going to be doing? You're going to be doing a lot more. A lot more than what you think. This was all dealt with in the last contract."

This delegate is later heard to say: "This is not coming from me—this is coming from higher up. The unions agreed on it. We're unionized here. This is what we pushed through. And let's be smart about it. You gotta be smart about it."

"Play the fucking game," a delegate says on another tape.

"The delegates were basically saying, 'Go along with the program,' " Polanco tells the Voice.

CaptainAmerica
12-29-2014, 01:51 PM
Does this mean they will take a break from choking people to death the evil crime of selling cigarettes?
I doubt it. There is no legal binding happening so of course they won't change tactics or procedures they currently use.

Cissy
12-29-2014, 03:40 PM
Now they are "wary", but during the funeral, when they gathered *en masse*, it never occurred to them that they were potentially a vulnerable target?

Do they suppose us to be simplistic enough *not* to notice that their alleged "enemy" did not attack them when they were gathered together?

twomp
12-29-2014, 05:13 PM
Now they are "wary", but during the funeral, when they gathered *en masse*, it never occurred to them that they were potentially a vulnerable target?

Do they suppose us to be simplistic enough *not* to notice that their alleged "enemy" did not attack them when they were gathered together?

Exactly. They are not our enemy but we are theirs. We do not wish harm upon them but they surely wish harm upon us. The vast majority of us just want to live our lives without having to answer to the King's Men for things they deem to be "illegal."

phill4paul
12-29-2014, 05:17 PM
I can't say as I necessarily condone the act that precipitated this but I'll be damned if I'm not impressed with the unintended consequence of said act.

Chester Copperpot
12-29-2014, 05:39 PM
When the govt fear the people there is liberty

Chester Copperpot
12-29-2014, 05:41 PM
I can't say as I necessarily condone the act that precipitated this but I'll be damned if I'm not impressed with the unintended consequence of said act.
I agree.

phill4paul
12-29-2014, 05:48 PM
Wouldn't it be mind blowing if de Blaasio were the machiavellian type, had planned this all along and three months from now announce...."Crime statistics based on arrests show that crime has fallen over 30% in the last three months. I feel it is time we can safely reduce the police force by the same percentage and save the taxpayers some money." I'd probably fall out from an heart attack.

otherone
12-29-2014, 05:59 PM

Almost as effective as voting.

AuH20
12-29-2014, 06:20 PM
Wouldn't it be mind blowing if de Blaasio were the machiavellian type, had planned this all along and three months from now announce...."Crime statistics based on arrests show that crime has fallen over 30% in the last three months. I feel it is time we can safely reduce the police force by the same percentage and save the taxpayers some money." I'd probably fall out from an heart attack.

I think DiBlasio just gave the NYPD 400 million dollars. Secondly, the police are manipulating the crime statistics to create the illusion that they are doing their job when they really aren't.

phill4paul
12-29-2014, 06:21 PM
I think DiBlasio just gave the NYPD 400 million dollars. Secondly, the police are manipulating the crime statistics to create the illusion that they are doing their job when they really aren't.

I'm aware. Was just channeling my alternate universe.

alucard13mm
12-29-2014, 06:50 PM
I believe they are doing this for a raise..

All will be forgotten once Mr Mayor raises their salaries.

libertyvidz
12-29-2014, 07:08 PM
http://nypost.com/2014/12/29/wary-cops-letting-minor-offenses-slide/

With cops on edge following the assassination of two patrol officers on a Brooklyn street, many officers have started turning a blind eye to some minor crimes, sources told The Post, while a union mandate that two patrol cars respond to all police calls has led to slower response times to non-emergencies.
“I’m not writing any summonses. Do you think I’m going to stand there so someone can shoot me or hit me in the head with an ax?” One cop said Sunday, referring to the Dec. 20 slayings and another recent attack on the NYPD.

“I’m concerned about my safety,” the cop added. “I want to go to home to my wife and kids.”
An NYPD supervisor noted, “My guys are writing almost no summonses, and probably only making arrests when they have to — like when a store catches a shoplifter.”

And the Patrolmen’s Benevolent Association directive for cops to respond with at least two patrol cars has resulted in a manpower shortage that’s delaying response times to non-emergencies — such as burglaries or car crashes without injuries — to as much as four hours, sources said.

This belongs here:

“And how we burned in the camps later, thinking: What would things have been like if every Security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family? Or if, during periods of mass arrests, as for example in Leningrad, when they arrested a quarter of the entire city, people had not simply sat there in their lairs, paling with terror at every bang of the downstairs door and at every step on the staircase, but had understood they had nothing left to lose and had boldly set up in the downstairs hall an ambush of half a dozen people with axes, hammers, pokers, or whatever else was at hand?... The Organs would very quickly have suffered a shortage of officers and transport and, notwithstanding all of Stalin's thirst, the cursed machine would have ground to a halt! If...if...We didn't love freedom enough. And even more – we had no awareness of the real situation.... We purely and simply deserved everything that happened afterward.”

I'm not for violence against anyone. But this is interesting. It's like the NYPD is reading Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn all of a sudden.

ChristianAnarchist
12-29-2014, 10:45 PM
GOOD !!

PaulConventionWV
12-29-2014, 10:54 PM

Yup. And I would be tempted to move to NYC.

Then again... it would still be kind of messed up.

thoughtomator
12-29-2014, 10:58 PM
This belongs here:

I'm not for violence against anyone. But this is interesting. It's like the NYPD is reading Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn all of a sudden.

There was an actual axe attack on some NYPD cops a number of months back. Your average cop couldn't pronounce Solzhenitsyn with a week of coaching, forget about actually reading his work.

thoughtomator
12-29-2014, 10:58 PM
This belongs here:

There was an actual axe attack on some NYPD cops a number of months back. Your average cop couldn't pronounce Solzhenitsyn with a week of coaching, forget about actually reading his work.

jkob
12-29-2014, 11:02 PM
Good. Cops should weigh what laws are worth sacrificing their life for. Maybe putting kids in prison because of plants isn't that important.

Anti Federalist
12-29-2014, 11:11 PM
Or if, during periods of mass arrests, as for example in Leningrad, when they arrested a quarter of the entire city, people had not simply sat there in their lairs, paling with terror at every bang of the downstairs door and at every step on the staircase, but had understood they had nothing left to lose and had boldly set up in the downstairs hall an ambush of half a dozen people with axes, hammers, pokers, or whatever else was at hand?...

I'm not for violence against anyone.

Then why post that quote?

Certainly, that is exactly what Solzhenitsyn is talking about, rising up in righteous anger and applying deadly violence against their oppressors in order to stop them.

Cleaner44
12-29-2014, 11:36 PM
Then why post that quote?

Certainly, that is exactly what Solzhenitsyn is talking about, rising up in righteous anger and applying deadly violence against their oppressors in order to stop them.

In matters of self defense, a person should should unleash great violence from the very depths of their soul and do everything in their power to preserve their life.

nobody's_hero
12-30-2014, 06:59 AM
Well, I think the motivation for the police is to make the general public feel 'pain' when it comes to not having a cop respond within a reasonable amount of time. That's typically what government does to send a message, which is to cut the most visible services. Like when the government "shut down" a year ago. They didn't cut the invisible $$$ that gets spent on nonsense. No, they cut the parks and stuff that people would actually realize and be outraged about.

What seems to be different, or at least changing, is that people seem to give less of a shit about it. So, maybe not having so many cops go around harassing people for petty offenses, is not going to draw the outrage and concern that the NYPD hopes it might.

tod evans
12-30-2014, 07:01 AM
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?465622-NYC-Innocent-man-gets-a-six-man-beating-from-NYC-s-finest

SeanTX
12-30-2014, 10:03 AM
Well, I think the motivation for the police is to make the general public feel 'pain' when it comes to not having a cop respond within a reasonable amount of time. That's typically what government does to send a message, which is to cut the most visible services.

The same thing also happens when there is *any* talk of cutting police budgets somewhere -- I can think of several places where the police unions paid to put up billboards warning that delivery of their "services" would be affected if the populace were to dare allow any cuts. Of course, the things that would be affected would be responses to real crimes -- while revenue collection activities would be greatly increased.

It's basically a type of extortion -- not unlike what the mafia would do -- "well, if ya knows what's good for ya, you'll keep those protection payments up, or bad things could happen, and we wouldn't want that now, would we?"

This is all just part of a thin blue whiner temper tantrum / pity party -- just like when they turn their backs on elected leaders. It has more to do with them rebelling against moves to have them be held accountable than it does about their personal safety.

Anti Federalist
12-30-2014, 11:19 AM
That is exactly what it is, a "protection racket".

Only difference is, instead of some fat Italian guys in see through socks, or Russian hooligans, coming to rough you up, it's amped up "boys in blue".

The same thing also happens when there is *any* talk of cutting police budgets somewhere -- I can think of several places where the police unions paid to put up billboards warning that delivery of their "services" would be affected if the populace were to dare allow any cuts. Of course, the things that would be affected would be responses to real crimes -- while revenue collection activities would be greatly increased.

It's basically a type of extortion -- not unlike what the mafia would do -- "well, if ya knows what's good for ya, you'll keep those protection payments up, or bad things could happen, and we wouldn't want that now, would we?"

This is all just part of a thin blue whiner temper tantrum / pity party -- just like when they turn their backs on elected leaders. It has more to do with them rebelling against moves to have them be held accountable than it does about their personal safety.

Ronin Truth
12-30-2014, 11:31 AM
When LEOs don't law enforce what's the point? Why are they getting paid?

Occam's Banana
12-30-2014, 12:41 PM

At least it's nice to see a cop openly admit that it's typical for cops to make arrests when they don't have to ...

Well, I think the motivation for the police is to make the general public feel 'pain' when it comes to not having a cop respond within a reasonable amount of time.

Another motivation is to make the system feel "pain" from reduced extortion revenues and less grist for the mills of the prison-industrial complex. (See the remark quoted above, for example.) "The spice must flow ..." - and the cops are using "officer safety" as an excuse to reduce the flow of spice, thereby giving them leverage against increasing police-abuse accountability concerns (among other things) ...

Lucille
12-31-2014, 11:21 AM
Cops should stop enforcing dumbass laws, but they're only doing it because they're not being sufficiently worshiped.

http://www.voxday.blogspot.com/2014/12/no-heroes-in-new-york-city.html

The police are under no legal obligation to protect and serve you. And apparently, if they do not feel sufficiently lionized by the public, they will not even do their jobs.

Arrests plummet 66% with NYPD in virtual work stoppage. It’s not a slowdown — it’s a virtual work stoppage. NYPD traffic tickets and summonses for minor offenses have dropped off by a staggering 94 percent following the execution of two cops — as officers feel betrayed by the mayor and fear for their safety, The Post has learned.

The dramatic drop comes as Police Commissioner Bill Bratton and Mayor Bill de Blasio plan to hold an emergency summit on Tuesday with the heads of the five police unions to try to close the widening rift between cops and the administration.

It has helped contribute to a nose dive in low-level policing, with overall arrests down 66 percent for the week starting Dec. 22 compared with the same period in 2013, stats show. Citations for traffic violations fell by 94 percent, from 10,069 to 587, during that time frame. Summonses for low-level offenses like public drinking and urination also plunged 94 percent — from 4,831 to 300.

Even parking violations are way down, dropping by 92 percent, from 14,699 to 1,241. Drug arrests by cops assigned to the NYPD’s Organized Crime Control Bureau — which are part of the overall number — dropped by 84 percent, from 382 to 63.

If you still weren't convinced that the corrupt and militarized modern police of America are little more than a badge gang, I should think this obnoxious, irresponsible reaction by the police should suffice to convince you, at least concerning the feckless nature of the NYPD.
[...]
The NYPD have made it clear that they love only themselves. They do not love that which they claim to protect and serve. Their idea of virtue is defective. They want to be regarded as heroes, but it is their very hunger for heroic status that renders genuine heroism forever beyond their reach.

tod evans
12-31-2014, 11:26 AM
The propaganda continues, from Drudge;

NYPD Investigates Threats to Kill Officers on New Year's Eve, Sources Say

http://dnainfo.com/new-york/20141231/civic-center/nypd-investigating-threats-kill-officers-on-new-years-eve-sources-say

The NYPD is investigating several threats to kill NYPD officers during New Year’s Eve celebrations, DNAinfo New York has learned.

Sources say there are several gang members on social media calling for New Year’s Eve to be “Kill a Pig Night” so that it will become “The New Year’s Eve Massacre 2014.”

The threats primarily come in tweets baring a host of vicious anti-NYPD hash tags including #@deadcopseveryday, #onlydeadcops, #wingsonpigs and #laughatyourdeaths, according to law enforcement sources.

One tweet reads: "Dear Police, Don’t think this cant happen again” accompanied by a photo of armed Blank Panthers from the 1960s and 1970s, sources say.

Police officials say the NYPD is taking all threats seriously, particularly in the wake of the Dec. 20 murder of NYPD officers Rafael Ramos and Wenjian Liu. Their assassin, Ismaaiyl Brinsley, took to Instagram that morning announcing he was coming to New York to kill police officers.

Sources say the NYPD has received 63 threats since the shootings and there have been 16 arrests connected to them.

There are presently 23 open investigations into threats against NYPD officers, a source said.

In addition to the deadly threats, various radical organizations are also calling for protests to disrupt the New Year’s Eve celebration, but the NYPD says it is prepared to safeguard the millions of revelers and protesters' rights to demonstrate.

Lucille
01-03-2015, 03:13 PM
NYPD is Ironically Proving that Most of their Police Work is Completely Unnecessary
http://www.strike-the-root.com/nypd-is-ironically-proving-that-most-of-their-police-work-is-completely-unnecessary

[...] Earlier this week, responding to initial news reports that the New York Police Department had drastically reduced the number of arrests and citations following the murder of two of Officers Wenjian Liu and Rafael Ramos on December 20, New York-based journalist and radio host Allison Kilkenny took to Twitter and noted, “Arrests plummeted 66% but I just looked outside and nothing is on fire and the sun is still out and everything. Weird.”

Though the public debate over the relationship between City Hall and the NYPD has seemingly started to cool, many people are now looking at the “work stoppage” itself—which reportedly resulted in drastic reductions in arrests, citations, and even parking tickets—as rather positive evidence that a city with less arrests may be something to celebrate, not criticize.

Writing for Rolling Stone on Wednesday, journalist Matt Taibbi described the situation in the city as “surreal,” but noted positively that, “In an alternate universe, the New York Police might have just solved the national community-policing controversy.”

In his article, Taibbi explores that if the police protest was done for “enlightened reasons”—as opposed to what he described as “the last salvo of an ongoing and increasingly vicious culture-war mess that is showing no signs of abating”—there would be something wonderful about living in a city that called on officers to prioritize building-up community members instead of finding ways to put officers “in the position of having to make up for budget shortfalls” by issuing unnecessary fines and citations to people who can barely afford to make ends meet in the first place.

“If I were a police officer, I’d hate to be taking money from people all day long,” Taibbi writes. “Christ, that’s worse than being a dentist. So under normal circumstances, this slowdown wouldn’t just make sense, it would be heroic. Unfortunately, this protest is not about police refusing to shake people down for money on principle.”

But as Matt Ford asks in a new piece for The Atlantic, the stoppage—whatever its motivation—still raises this key question: “If the NYPD can safely cut arrests by two-thirds, why haven’t they done it before?”

The “human implications” of that question, he continues, are not insignificant, especially for those most impacted by aggressive forms of policing. He writes:

Fewer arrests for minor crimes logically means fewer people behind bars for minor crimes. Poorer would-be defendants benefit the most; three-quarters of those sitting in New York jails are only there because they can’t afford bail. Fewer New Yorkers will also be sent to Rikers Island, where endemic brutality against inmates has led to resignations, arrests, and an imminent federal civil-rights intervention over the past six months. A brush with the American criminal-justice system can be toxic for someone’s socioeconomic and physical health.

The NYPD might benefit from fewer unnecessary arrests, too. Tensions between the mayor and the police unions originally intensified after a grand jury failed to indict a NYPD officer for the chokehold death of Eric Garner during an arrest earlier this year. Garner’s arrest wasn’t for murder or arson or bank robbery, but on suspicion of selling untaxed cigarettes—hardly the most serious of crimes. Maybe the NYPD’s new “absolutely necessary” standard for arrests would have produced a less tragic outcome for Garner then. Maybe it will for future Eric Garners too.
[...]
However, what Taibbi ultimately laments is that because the work stoppage, in his opinion, represents a self-interested gesture by the NYPD it will likely have little, if any, long-term impact.

Instead of shining a light on the broader issues he mentioned, Taibbi says, it will unfortunately be “just more fodder for our ongoing hate-a-thon” that plays out on cable news and elsewhere.

Anti Federalist
01-03-2015, 03:24 PM
A brush with the American criminal-justice system can be toxic for someone’s socioeconomic and physical health.

A brush with the American criminal-justice system can be toxic for someone’s socioeconomic and physical health.

satchelmcqueen
01-03-2015, 04:39 PM
so theyre making less arrests? thats a good start!

01-03-2015, 04:45 PM
I read that the shell game and 3 card monte have come back to times square.

nobody's_hero
01-03-2015, 07:24 PM
I read that the shell game and 3 card monte have come back to times square.

Sinners repent! The end is near!

Schifference
01-04-2015, 07:20 AM
Serve, Protect, & Safety are all a joke. The fact is that the government depends on criminals to support their existence. Do you think states that heavily tax cigarettes want people to quit smoking? Government needs criminals. 3 felonies a day just so they can slap the cuffs on anybody at anytime just to collect enough revenues to support their existence.

My son is a new driver. The other night he spent the night at a friends. He woke up to a parking ticket. Bristol CT has a winter parking ban on any and all streets from Nov till March from 2am-6am. The weather doesn't matter. The shift commander probably told the night crew, "I want everybody writing parking tickets tonight." Seriously parking on a dead end street with no snow or cold weather in the forecast and you wake up to a ticket.