PDA

View Full Version : Justin Amash interview with MLive 12/29/14

tsai3904
12-29-2014, 12:13 PM

Amash, in a recent interview, showed that his direction will not change as he enters his third term in the U.S. House.

MLive: Share with us the highs and the lows of the previous Congress. Going beyond that, your proudest moments, your biggest shortcomings?

Amash: The highs would be the coalition that we're building in the House Liberty Caucus. When I first started developing this caucus a few years ago, there weren't that many people involved, and now we have regular attendance of about 20 people, and we invite about 35 to 40 to our lunches, and it continues to grow. Because the Republican Study Committee has really moved away from being the voice of principled conservatives in the House, we have an opening to really grow that organization, and I'm really proud of what we've been able to do.

The lows would have to be last week of session. When you look at the bills that were passed, they were some of the worst pieces of legislation that I've seen in my four years of Congress. We had an Intelligence Authorization Act where they, the intelligence committee or community, whoever wrote it, snuck in language that would authorize the Executive Branch to collect data, retain it, disseminate it, basically regardless of what type of data is it ... metadata communications, anything. They tried to voice vote that, which means they were going to pass it without having one vote on it.

More:
http://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/index.ssf/2014/12/justin_amash_4_questions_and_a.html