PDA

View Full Version : "Army values"

Origanalist
12-29-2014, 09:29 AM
Army Thanks Soldier For Confronting Offensive Behavior Online

http://images.military.com/media/news/people/james-mcconville-thanks-solider-ts300.jpg
Lt. Gen. James C. McConville, the Army's deputy chief of staff for personnel, presents 1st Sgt. Katrina Moerk with the citation for her Army Commendation Medal. (U.S. Army Photo)

DoD News, Defense Media Activity | Dec 23, 2014 | by Claudette Roulo

WASHINGTON -- Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel and senior Army officials met with a senior non-commissioned officer Dec 15 to thank her for leading by example and defending Army values, despite facing harassment after confronting Service members who were behaving unethically online.

First Sgt. Katrina Moerk, now the first sergeant of Charlie Company, 741st Military Intelligence Battalion, was browsing a social media network's community page earlier this year, when she came upon a video that she found offensive and sexist. When she commented as much, several respondents attacked her with insults. Some of these respondents were wearing uniforms in their profile photos, the first sergeant said, so she wrote to them directly.

"I looked them up, introduced myself and explained to them why they were stupid. And I [copied] the director of the Army SHARP program to help their units improve their SHARP training, because it was obviously lacking. And it's kind of blown up from there," Moerk said.

SHARP is the acronym for the military's Sexual Harassment Assault Response and Prevention program.

Online Backlash

This wasn't the first time Moerk had experienced online harassment, she said, but it was "the first time I've put my foot down, and was very adamant about correcting what was wrong with them."
The response was "vicious," she said.

"I tried to explain why I didn't care for it," she added, "and [said], 'If you don't know who you're talking to, be careful what you say in an open public forum on the Internet,' and it just made it worse. When I started calling them by rank, they figured I was in the military and made jokes about calling people out on the Internet, or [that] pulling rank on the Internet is like calling somebody out in a bar."

Things died down online, she said, but Dr. Christine Altendorf, the SHARP director, brought Moerk's email to the attention of Lt. Gen. Howard Bromberg, then the Army's deputy chief of staff for personnel. Shortly thereafter, the Army launched three administrative investigations, because Soldiers from three separate major commands were involved, either through producing the video or making inappropriate comments.

"Everyone was kind of pulled to the carpet and called in, and training changed," the first sergeant said.

continued...http://www.military.com/daily-news/2014/12/23/army-thanks-soldier-for-confronting-offensive-behavior-online.html?comp=7000023467983&rank=2

Danke
12-29-2014, 09:41 AM
A hero. A warrior should never have to face any form of harassment.

Origanalist
12-29-2014, 09:43 AM
A hero. A warrior should never have to face any form of harassment.

How can they defend the country if their self esteem is damaged?

oyarde
12-29-2014, 09:44 AM
So , basically she got an ARCOM for stalking people .I see she has nothing better to do .

William Tell
12-29-2014, 09:44 AM
I know a solution that would have prevented this.

tod evans
12-29-2014, 09:46 AM
This BS is what I want my tax dollars spent on....:rolleyes:

Origanalist
12-29-2014, 09:46 AM
She looks very satisfied with her accomplishments.

oyarde
12-29-2014, 09:50 AM
If I was a young soldier I would probably not be on the net , unless anonymously , but if someone said , hey , you cannot say that , I am 1st Sgt so & so , I would laugh too.

tod evans
12-29-2014, 09:51 AM

I really don't think "satisfaction" is something she's familiar with...;)

oyarde

This is the common look of young ladies that get by with harassing others .

oyarde
Obviously .

William Tell
12-29-2014, 09:53 AM
I wish they would actually link the video, and quote the comments that offended her, that would be enlightening.

Origanalist
12-29-2014, 09:57 AM
I wish they would actually link the video, and quote the comments that offended her, that would be enlightening.

I agree.

Origanalist
12-29-2014, 10:01 AM

I wonder if this is her?

https://i.chzbgr.com/maxW500/7958669824/hFB3CAED9/

oyarde
12-29-2014, 10:05 AM

Why was she watching videos that offended her ?

William Tell
12-29-2014, 10:08 AM
Why was she watching videos that offended her ?

I dunno, maybe its just something only chicks do?:confused:

oyarde
12-29-2014, 10:17 AM

So she is at fault .Baiting others who had no idea who she was with comments A generally cruel person who needs more work to do and not fit for leadership.

Suzanimal
12-29-2014, 10:24 AM
I looked them up, introduced myself and explained to them why they were stupid.

What could go wrong?:rolleyes:

Dumbass...

Danke
12-29-2014, 10:32 AM

No, I also watch very offensive videos.

William Tell
12-29-2014, 10:34 AM
No, I also watch very offensive videos.

I know, Danke, but do they offend you?

Danke
12-29-2014, 10:44 AM
I know, Danke, but do they offend you?

Why else would I enjoy them so much?

sparebulb
12-29-2014, 10:46 AM
No, I also watch star in very offensive videos.

fixed?

William Tell
12-29-2014, 11:00 AM
fixed?

http://cdn.meme.am/instances/500x/57571041.jpg

thoughtomator
12-29-2014, 11:24 AM
So she got a medal for taking a typical Internet argument nuclear and acting as vigilante speech police? This is the kind of behavior today's Army is rewarding?

oyarde
12-29-2014, 11:26 AM
So she got a medal for taking a typical Internet argument nuclear and acting as vigilante speech police? This is the kind of behavior today's Army is rewarding?

Evidently , yes .

oyarde
12-29-2014, 11:27 AM
This BS is what I want my tax dollars spent on....:rolleyes:

Pretty much what many must think .Ridiculous.

ClydeCoulter
12-29-2014, 12:06 PM
It's okay to offensive things, unless it against saying offensive things?

Pericles
12-29-2014, 12:27 PM

Thread winner right there ^ In the old black boot Army, an NCO would see something wrong and fix it. Then move on to doing something useful, like maybe training to win a war. In it was something major, might need to go to a unit commander ... Now the proper course of action is to take any issue to the top out of the chain of command authority one can find, in order to have the hand of God smite whoever gave offense. And if lucky, get promoted or an award in the process - if I looked real hard, I doubt that I would be surprised a whole career of this behavior, that if found in my unit, would cost a stripe, money, and free time.....

Thankful this isn't my problem anymore.

KCIndy
12-29-2014, 12:45 PM
I guess it really does pay to be "politically correct." :(

Tod
12-29-2014, 01:49 PM
Haha....these guys all volunteered to be slaves and then get all butthurt when they get treated like p.o.s. slaves, not only by their fellow slave but by the whipping boys. Serves them all right! lol

tod evans
12-29-2014, 02:20 PM

To me it's never okay to use government to punish speech, and that includes the UCMJ...

But I'm good with this broad smacking 'em in the chops if she's offended.

oyarde
12-29-2014, 11:46 PM
I can see it now .Grandchild asks , " how did Great Grandfather Oyarde get that Silver Star ? " .I say well , that thingie ? A few months after Normandy , he was Platoon Sgt and his entire Platoon was wounded in a fight except he and one Man , he had that guy lay covering fire while he went out and got each one of them and brought them back . Grandchild says , " Well , why did they give you that silver star thingie ? Grandma says you lost it in a poker game " . I say , well , I took this hill , a hill with a bunch of machine guns and some cannon, pretty much by myself , because everyone else was , dead , wounded or pinned down. Grandchild says , " Wow , that sounds like too much , my 1st Sgt got an ARCOM for watching video she found offensive . Grandchild says "What did you get you ARCOM's for ? " , I am like , I do not remember , but it was not for being offended , snitching , or watching videos .

angelatc
12-30-2014, 12:20 AM

Her quote:
I looked them up, introduced myself and explained to them why they were stupid. That's not offensive?

Origanalist
12-30-2014, 01:00 AM
Her quote: That's not offensive?

No, only approved offensiveness can be offensive.

oyarde
12-30-2014, 01:00 AM
Her quote: That's not offensive?
Yes it is .

Origanalist
12-30-2014, 01:04 AM
Yes it is .

BZZZTTTT! Sorry, that isn't approved offensiveness, re-education camp for you oyarde.

oyarde
12-30-2014, 01:07 AM
BZZZTTTT! Sorry, that isn't approved offensiveness, re-education camp for you oyarde.

LOL

Uriel999
12-30-2014, 01:46 AM
Somebody should remind that wookie that she is a pog and needs to get back into the chow hall and make me some mediocre food.