PDA

View Full Version : Local Office?

Esor
12-03-2007, 03:51 PM
Has anyone here ran or thought about running for local office? If so, what are your experiences? I've always been interested in taking a hands-on approach to politics.

Thomas Paine
12-03-2007, 07:48 PM
I successfully ran for the office of Township Trustee in Michigan. If I didn't have to move across Michigan from my Township due to marriage, I possibly might be in the state legislature right now because I had built up a strong network.

My experience was exhilarating as a local official but you need to have a thick skin. Because a local office is not very far removed from the voters, any criticism you hear about yourself will be close and personal. Otherwise, I encourage you to go for it. Even if you lose, you will gain a lot of friends in the process.

noxagol
12-03-2007, 09:11 PM
I have been thinking of running for state rep here in Illinois.

Esor
12-03-2007, 09:50 PM
I successfully ran for the office of Township Trustee in Michigan. If I didn't have to move across Michigan from my Township due to marriage, I possibly might be in the state legislature right now because I had built up a strong network.

My experience was exhilarating as a local official but you need to have a thick skin. Because a local office is not very far removed from the voters, any criticism you hear about yourself will be close and personal. Otherwise, I encourage you to go for it. Even if you lose, you will gain a lot of friends in the process.

Besides the fact that I'm only 19, I think running for office would be a great experience. I see what you mean with the "thick skin" comment. I have lived in my house in this town for 18 years. I've lived here before my city even became a city. We are a suburb, so I know a lot of people and a lot of people know me. It is a close and tight-nit community and I am sure, when the time comes and I do decide to run in the future, I would be going against the grain.