PDA

View Full Version : U.S. Agency Hiring 1,000 After Obama’s Immigration Order

Suzanimal
12-26-2014, 03:51 PM
WASHINGTON — This is how a bureaucracy grows.

Only 10 days after President Obama announced in a prime-time address that millions of undocumented people would soon “be able to apply to stay in this country temporarily without fear of deportation,” an electronic bulletin reached inboxes across Washington. In a crucial detail that Mr. Obama left out, the Citizenship and Immigration Services agency said it was immediately seeking 1,000 new employees to work in an office building to process “cases filed as a result of the executive actions on immigration.”

The likely cost: nearly $8 million a year in lease payments and more than $40 million for annual salaries.

The announcement of the new “operational center” among the chain restaurants and high-rises of Crystal City, a Northern Virginia neighborhood used for overflow from the federal agencies in Washington, offers a glimpse into how swiftly a president’s words can produce bigger government. It also demonstrates the bureaucracy’s ability to swing into action, even during an extended power struggle between the president and Congress.

“When you have an executive order, when you have a president saying, ‘I want you to do this,’ bureaucrats say, ‘O.K., let’s go do what the president says,’” said Elaine Kamarck, a senior fellow at the Brookings Institution and a former White House official who worked on Vice President Al Gore’s “reinventing government” initiative.

Although conservatives in Congress are vowing to attack the president’s executive action on immigration by blocking the funding for it, plans for the small army of workers are moving forward. The action is part of a larger trend: From 2001 to 2012 — mostly after the Sept. 11 attacks — the government added about 180,000 federal employees, for a total of more than 4.3 million, according to the Office of Personnel Management.

At the citizenship and immigration agency, officials said they had signed a $7.8 million lease in a gleaming new building, which they will occupy starting next month. During a recent speech in Los Angeles, the agency’s director, León Rodríguez, said that 5,000 people had already applied for the Crystal City jobs.

In the bulletin that the agency sent out, dated Dec. 1, the word “TODAY!” is printed in red next to a dozen jobs with titles like special assistant, management program analyst and immigration services officer. By the time the new Republican Congress takes up the debate about funding for the president’s immigration plan early next year, many of those new jobs are likely to be filled.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/12/26/us/politics/little-noticed-in-immigration-overhaul-a-government-hiring-rush.html?_r=1

roho76
12-26-2014, 04:16 PM
I assure you, most of the employees wont make 40k a year. I wonder whos gonna get the bulk of that money. I'm sure that budget won't last long either.

alucard13mm
12-26-2014, 04:57 PM
I think open borders is a bad idea.

More people results in larger government and spending.

We will have one world government or north American union coming soon.

It gives our government an excuse to implement biometrics or other tracking mechanisms on everyone.

Zippyjuan
12-26-2014, 08:38 PM

It gives our government an excuse to implement biometrics or other tracking mechanisms on everyone.

On the other hand, if you want to get rid of all those in the country illegally. we need biometrics or other tracking mechanisms to be able to tell "us" from "them". It results in larger government and spending to track them all down and deport them and increasing security along the border.

DamianTV
12-27-2014, 03:27 AM

Locking people in one Human Farm or another Human Farm isnt the issue. The issue comes from Incentivizing and Displacement of the existing populus at the expense of that population. So lets try to change the scale a little bit. Say San Francisco and San Jose. Both are in California. There isnt much political incentive to live in one city over the other. So people that live in San Jose dont complain about all the "damn illegal San Franciscans" and people in San Fran arent anywhere nearly as troubled by "Influx of Illegal San Jose'ians".

The real problem is that US Policies have undermined the economic wealth of entire countries and result in massive movements of people to where the appearance of wealth is.

Zippy (oddly for him) is quite dead on with this. To "fix" this problem, then Govt will need to grow bigger. The US Govt is very skilled at the use of the Hegalian Dialect (problem, reaction, solution). Govt wants both to control the population by Surveillance (which means Biometric and Tracking everything), and keep us fighting amongst ourselves. So they will only propose and support solutions that create problems that only they can fix with ever increaslingly bigger and bigger Govt.

The real solution to the "Immigration Problem" is to end the Welfare / Warfare State.