PDA

View Full Version : 'It can be fearful': Police feeling under siege

aGameOfThrones
12-24-2014, 10:38 AM
In his 21 years on the Marion, Ohio, police department, Jay McDonald has run into burning buildings, been shot at and rushed into houses with a SWAT team to serve warrants on armed suspects.

And one thing is certain: He doesn't want any of his three children to follow in his professional footsteps – especially now, as anti-police sentiment sweeps the country following several high-profile cases of unarmed black men killed by white officers.

"It's a very frustrating profession," McDonald says. "I've dedicated my professional life to this community. ... You're in danger at any time. And now you're in danger of being called a racist and have your integrity attacked. It is stressful."

McDonald, like many of his rank-and-file brethren in police departments nationwide, says police feel under siege and demoralized by the bias against them from a public that they believe doesn't understand the dangers they face.

Tensions between police and minority communities have been building for months since the deaths of Eric Garner in New York, Michael Brown in Ferguson, Mo., and Tamir Rice in Cleveland, all unarmed, all black, all dead after confrontations with white officers.

Now police are hunkering down, becoming more cautious since the ambush killings of two New York City police officers on Saturday. Across the country, police departments and unions are warning officers to remain alert so they do not become targets. In New York, the police union warned officers to respond to calls with two cars. The New Jersey State Police Benevolent Association told its officers to change their routines, such as the routes they take when they patrol or where and when they stop to eat. That way if someone is watching them, they won't know their daily habits.

"Police officers are wondering, 'Why do I do this? For the money I make, why do I continue to do this?'" says Chuck Canterbury, president of the Fraternal Order of Police, the union representing 325,000 officers across the USA. The annual median salary of a police officer is $55,000.

In Stonewall, La., DeSoto Parish sheriff's Deputy Scott Atkins finds himself looking over his shoulder a little more as he makes traffic stops. Returning to law enforcement after several years running his own business, Atkins says he was already aware of the decreased respect for uniformed officers even before the officer-related shootings and the murder of two New York Police Department officers.

"The guys on patrol, we are catching that flack," Atkins says. "It can be fearful. You know you have a job to do. We chose this career to serve and protect."

He says he realizes there is a "select group out there now who are making us out to be the bad guys.

"You always have a feeling in the back of your mind: 'Will I be able to go home to my wife and kids while I'm out here just doing my job?' Even when I'm in a restaurant, I'm thinking, 'Could something happen here?'" Atkins says. "I never thought I'd see these days. None of us did."

Last year, Korson shot and killed an armed carjacking suspect he was chasing. The suspect, Nathaniel McRae, ran out of the car with Korson close behind. Korson says he shot McRae when the man turned and shot at him.

"One minute you are at a family dispute, an argument over $1.25 or something, the next you are chasing a person waving a gun in a rearview mirror," says Korson, 45, who was speaking as a union member. He is not authorized to speak on behalf of the department. "You hear the crack from the shot and you think, 'I gotta stop him or I'm not going home.'"

The shooting is still under investigation by the U.S. Attorney's office, says a spokesman, Bill Miller.

Police deaths on duty are up 23% this year to 123 after a decline in 2013, according to the National Law Enforcement Officers Memorial Fund, which tracks officer fatalities. Firearm-related deaths, however, had the largest increase, up 55% to 48 so far this year. The numbers include the shooting deaths of the two New York City officers.

It is unknown how many people are killed by officers because most police departments do not maintain that information. The FBI estimates that police kill 400 people a year, though that number comes from a database that is incomplete because it relies on local law enforcement agencies to make voluntary reports.

Canterbury says there is no epidemic of officers killing or assaulting people but an alarming number of officers are being attacked. Nationwide, about 50,000 officers are assaulted every year, he says.

Former FBI Assistant Director Ron Hosko, president of the Law Enforcement Legal Defense Fund, which helps officers charged with a crime while policing, says police morale has declined.

"They are feeling as if the public does not respect their sacrifice," he says.

The biggest fear now is that police may become so afraid of getting in trouble that they won't take risks when answering calls, says Delray Burton, a 20-year veteran of the D.C. police department and chairman of the police union.

"That's a real sentiment from officers who think, 'I'm not going to risk my career, risk being disciplined. I don't want to be the first guy they make an example of,'" he says. Burton, who is black, says the race of the suspect has nothing to do with how police treat him. It has to do with the suspect's actions.

"We're reacting to what others do," he says. "We're dealing with people at their very worst. ... Sometimes when I come, I will make you do something you don't want to do. And if you don't do it, I have the authority to use force to make you do it. Do not resist. It's a lose, lose proposition."

People can always file complaints with the city or police or lawsuits against an officer they feel mistreated them, he says.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2014/12/22/police-react-shootings/20773395/

tod evans
12-24-2014, 10:47 AM
"They are feeling as if the public does not respect their sacrifice,"

Oh shove it up your ass you self-righteous prick!

"Sacrifice" eh?

I for one will not shed one tear when you feel the pain of just one of your victims....:mad:

phill4paul
12-24-2014, 11:03 AM
Well, Jay and Scott, what are YOU going to do to turn this thing around? The ball is in your court. Are you gonna stand down or are you going to double down?

Anti Federalist
12-24-2014, 11:12 AM
"Police officers are wondering, 'Why do I do this? For the money I make, why do I continue to do this?'" says Chuck Canterbury, president of the Fraternal Order of Police, the union representing 325,000 officers across the USA. The annual median salary of a police officer is $55,000.

So quit.

Try making it out in the real world, being bled half to death in taxes to support people like you.

Try working in the 15 or so professions that are statistically much more dangerous than yours.

And then see how you like it, after years and years of slogging along trying to make a living, to be bossed around by some prick with a badge.

Just like you.

CaptUSA
12-24-2014, 11:18 AM

"Sacrifice" eh?

Come on... You know the "sacrifice" of retiring at 40 with a full pension is a terrible burden to bear.

I think we all know several "retired" cops that have full careers in other professions. Teachers, security, the trades...

Anti Federalist
12-24-2014, 11:18 AM
Police deaths on duty are up 23% this year to 123 after a decline in 2013, according to the National Law Enforcement Officers Memorial Fund, which tracks officer fatalities. Firearm-related deaths, however, had the largest increase, up 55% to 48 so far this year. The numbers include the shooting deaths of the two New York City officers.

That works out to about 4.8 per 100,000.

The US murder rate is 4.7 per 100,000.

Nationwide, about 50,000 officers are assaulted every year, he says.

If you sneeze funny around a cop, you will get arrested for "assault".

tod evans
12-24-2014, 11:22 AM
If you sneeze funny around a cop, you will get arrested for "assault".

Yup, just more sensationalism....

Any real assaults makes the national newz........All 12 of 'em....

[edit] For kop assault picture..:mad:

Acala
12-24-2014, 12:31 PM
In the city where I live, which employees dozens of engineers, accountants, attorneys, and high-level managers of departments with hundreds of employees and hundreds of millions of dollars worth of equipment and infrastructure, of the top ten highest paid city employees, HALF are cops. Of the top one hundred highest paid employees more than half are "public safety", meaning cops or fire. And this tally does not include the valuable perks that add many thousands of dollars to compensation. And this city comes in low on the national cop pay scale.

There's your sacrifice.

Christian Liberty
12-24-2014, 12:36 PM

"Sacrifice" eh?

I for one will not shed one tear when you feel the pain of just one of your victims....:mad:

What will you think if he happens to be killed by one of those who actually committed a real crime? Say he's arresting someone for murder and something happens?

Come on... You know the "sacrifice" of retiring at 40 with a full pension is a terrible burden to bear.

I think we all know several "retired" cops that have full careers in other professions. Teachers, security, the trades...

My Law Enforcement teacher a few years back was a retired cop (not surprisingly.)

Of course, that was back when I was less libertarian and less morally consistent.

tod evans
12-24-2014, 12:44 PM
What will you think if he happens to be killed by one of those who actually committed a real crime? Say he's arresting someone for murder and something happens?

I'll think "Good riddance" and move on...