PDA

View Full Version : Groundhog Day: Officer Who Shot Unarmed Jordan Baker Not Indicted

aGameOfThrones
12-24-2014, 10:27 AM
On Tuesday, a grand jury in Harris County decided not to indict officer Juventino Castro in the death of unarmed man Jordan Baker.

“I want to express my deepest sympathies to Janet Baker [the victim’s mother] and the entire Baker family,” said Harris County District Attorney Devon Anderson in a statement. “I know they are disappointed, but the grand jury’s decision means they found that there was no probable cause to believe a crime was committed. It does not constitute an endorsement of the officer’s actions.”

The panel had convened for months before clearing Castro in the January death of the 26 year old. Baker’s death has gained national attention in the wake of the protests for the deaths of Eric Garner and Michael Brown, both cases in which there was no indictment for a police officer killing an unarmed Black man.

Janet Baker maintains that her son — who was wearing a black hoodie the night he was killed — was profiled as a criminal. “I intend to seek justice for Jordan,” she said to reporters outside of the courthouse after the decision was read. “We just have a lot of work to do.”

When asked if she had anything to say to Castro, she said she’d rather talk to the system that absolved him.

http://uptownmagazine.com/2014/12/groundhog-day-officer-shot-unarmed-jordan-baker-indicted/