PDA

View Full Version : Rand Paul, Marco Rubio debate in spirit of Founding Fathers

NACBA
12-23-2014, 07:31 AM
“The United States trades and engages with other communist nations, such as China and Vietnam,” Mr. Paul argues. “Why not Cuba? I am a proponent of peace through commerce, and I believe engaging Cuba can lead to positive change. Sen. Rubio is acting like an isolationist who wants to retreat to our borders and perhaps build a moat. I reject this isolationism.”

If Mr. Paul looks around, he’ll see moats there already, moats called the Atlantic and Pacific oceans and the Gulf of Mexico. And the Rio Grande, of course. Some moat that is. The senator from Kentucky has been stung by criticism that he’s the isolationist, and he has taken tutelage to heart. He says most Cubans, by far, agree with him that getting cozy with the Castro brothers is a terrific idea. (He reserves the right to be an isolationist again, if it suits him.)

Mr. Rubio says his libertarian colleague “has no idea what he’s talking about. I think it’s unfortunate that Rand has decided to adopt Barack Obama’s foreign policy and that’s fine, he has every right to support the president’s foreign policy if that’s where he wants to line up. But I’m telling you, it isn’t going to work. This notion that somehow by doing this there’s going to be change in Cuba is just not true. On the contrary, it’s just going to strengthen the regime.”

Such welcome back-and-forth between senators is what the Founding Fathers anticipated. Being high-testosterone guys, the founders were not impressed by mealy-mouth debate. But lively debate unsettles some people. “The spat highlights a fissure in the Republican Party,” writes a sage on The Huffington Post, notorious for its concern for Republican interests, “and at this rate, we might as well cancel the debates.”

Read more: http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2014/dec/22/wesley-pruden-rand-paul-marco-rubio-debate-in-spir/#ixzz3MdKq3szV
Follow us: @washtimes on Twitter

philipped
12-24-2014, 09:25 AM
http://cdn.meme.am/instances/500x/57445715.jpg

Christian Liberty
12-24-2014, 09:28 AM
Rand Paul agrees with Obama's foreign policy? I'm assuming that's a lie? Obama has probably murdered more people than any other "nobel peace prize" winner...

Brett85
12-24-2014, 09:36 AM
Rand Paul agrees with Obama's foreign policy? I'm assuming that's a lie? Obama has probably murdered more people than any other "nobel peace prize" winner...

I think Rubio would claim that Rand is "to the left" of Obama on foreign policy. Because if you're for less wars and smaller government, that means that you're "on the left." :)

Christian Liberty
12-24-2014, 09:41 AM
I think Rubio would claim that Rand is "to the left" of Obama on foreign policy. Because if you're for less wars and smaller government, that means that you're "on the left." :)

Ah. Now I understand. That makes sense;)