PDA

View Full Version : GOP Won't Forgive Rand For Cop Critique

NACBA
12-23-2014, 07:23 AM
http://cdn.thedailybeast.com/content/dailybeast/articles/2014/12/22/the-biggest-loser-in-nypd-shooting-fallout-rand-paul/jcr:content/image.crop.800.500.jpg/1419332166150.cached.jpg
De Blasio? Sharpton? Nope. The biggest blowback will be against the “reforming” Kentucky senator, because Republicans back cops, period.

After New York City Police Officers Rafael Ramos and Wenjian Liu were gunned down in a retaliatory ambush on Saturday afternoon, the collateral damage was immediate.

New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio’s relationship with the police went from horrible to horrendous. Rev. Al Sharpton’s campaign to cleanse his race-baiting past grew more difficult, and Sen. Rand Paul—who had gone out of his way to break bread with Sharpton and to criticize police militarization—may now be facing an even more difficult task as he seeks the Republican presidential nomination. Indeed, for Paul, the shooting may have turned his nascent 2016 campaign into the Paul family’s fourth quixotic presidential quest.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/12/22/the-biggest-loser-in-nypd-shooting-fallout-rand-paul.html

FriedChicken
12-23-2014, 07:28 AM
Its not like he is going to defend the ambush. This article was just an excuse to use the word quixotic

Occam's Banana
12-23-2014, 08:08 AM
This article was just an excuse to use the word quixotic

http://i.imgur.com/uhpaF58.png

Brett85
12-23-2014, 08:15 AM
Tried to insert a picture and it's not working. I'll just link to it.

https://www.facebook.com/yaliberty/photos/a.420478680196.191456.13187955196/10152383086135197/?type=1&theater

jmdrake
12-23-2014, 08:18 AM
Tucker Carlson runs the Daily Beast. He's the slime who pretended to be a Ron Paul supporter and ambushed Ron Paul by taking him to a Nevada prostitution house. He also walked out on Ron after Jesse Ventura went off script at Ron's "Rally for the Republic". Some of the sheeple here were mad at Ventura, but Carlson clearly is the real enemy. If you didn't know that by now......

NACBA
12-23-2014, 08:21 AM
Tucker Carlson runs the Daily Beast. He's the slime who pretended to be a Ron Paul supporter and ambushed Ron Paul by taking him to a Nevada prostitution house. He also walked out on Ron after Jesse Ventura went off script at Ron's "Rally for the Republic". Some of the sheeple here were mad at Ventura, but Carlson clearly is the real enemy. If you didn't know that by now......

Wait--Tucker runs the Daily Caller AND the Daily Beast?

I thought the Daily Beast was the old Newsweek?

jmdrake
12-23-2014, 08:26 AM
Wait--Tucker runs the Daily Caller AND the Daily Beast?

I thought the Daily Beast was the old Newsweek?

Oh. Maybe I got my wrong Daily? Well he writes for the Daily Beast. http://www.thedailybeast.com/contributors/tucker-carlson.html I can't stand the twerp. (I guess that shows). Anyway, hit piece article. If the GOP hates on Rand because Rand doesn't tow their racist line of "Black folks should just be happy the po-po comes around" and they pick another nominee then they deserve to lose.

NACBA
12-23-2014, 08:30 AM
Oh. Maybe I got my wrong Daily? Well he writes for the Daily Beast. http://www.thedailybeast.com/contributors/tucker-carlson.html I can't stand the twerp. (I guess that shows). Anyway, hit piece article. If the GOP hates on Rand because Rand doesn't tow their racist line of "Black folks should just be happy the po-po comes around" and they pick another nominee then they deserve to lose.

Interesting--I did not know he wrote at all for the DB

CaptUSA
12-23-2014, 08:39 AM
Hit piece aside, the article makes a pretty accurate point.

The "Law & Order" crowd in the GOP is strong. It's an uphill battle to get them to see that the men in blue could do anything wrong.

If it were any other unionized government employee, the GOP base would eat it up, but not unionized government employees with badges. My level of disgust with they way they bend over backwards trying to defend the indefensible grows with every comment I read. They don't mind their contradictions. It's one thing to defend a white guy out west from federal agents, but the inner cities are a different matter. They think the inner cities should be governed with an iron fist.

Ronin Truth
12-23-2014, 08:42 AM
A conservative is a liberal who has been mugged.

Origanalist
12-23-2014, 08:45 AM

The "Law & Order" crowd in the GOP is strong. It's an uphill battle to get them to see that the men in blue could do anything wrong.

If it were any other unionized government employee, the GOP base would eat it up, but not unionized government employees with badges. My level of disgust with they way they bend over backwards trying to defend the indefensible grows with every comment I read. They don't mind their contradictions. It's one thing to defend a white guy out west from federal agents, but the inner cities are a different matter. They think the inner cities should be governed with an iron fist.

The double standard is glaringly obvious and they either don't care or can't see it.

Cleaner44
12-23-2014, 08:50 AM
and if the statist ass kissing GOP voters nominate Christie or Bush, I won't forgive them.

Christian Liberty
12-23-2014, 10:07 AM

https://www.facebook.com/yaliberty/photos/a.420478680196.191456.13187955196/10152383086135197/?type=1&theater

Why woud I want to do that, though?

Are Republican voters really as screwed up as you guys are implying? Because I don't think I know anyone who denies that police brutality happens and that its wrong. Now, there are a lot of people who try to downplay that, but nobody that outright denies it or that claims that a cop can do no wrong.

What I'm trying to get them to see is that its not a subset of "bad cops" that are the problem (though there are certainly some that are worse than others) but that "law enforcement" on principle is.

Brett85
12-23-2014, 10:10 AM
Are Republican voters really as screwed up as you guys are implying? Because I don't think I know anyone who denies that police brutality happens and that its wrong. Now, there are a lot of people who try to downplay that, but nobody that outright denies it or that claims that a cop can do no wrong.

I think you might be surprised. :) There are people who seem to think that if you ever criticize the actions of the police that you're "anti cop."

Christian Liberty
12-23-2014, 10:20 AM
I think you might be surprised. :) There are people who seem to think that if you ever criticize the actions of the police that you're "anti cop."

I'm not terribly surprised. Those just aren't the Republicans I have in my personal circles (and that's by "chance" so to speak, not really deliberate.) Someone from my church recently opened up a comment about Eric Garner with "I generally side with the cops but... what happened there was clearly wrong." A lot of them would say "Well most of the police are good but..."

cajuncocoa
12-23-2014, 10:33 AM

This is the pic TC was trying to post:

https://scontent-b-dfw.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpf1/v/t1.0-9/10612609_10152383086135197_8992581026476556677_n.p ng?oh=f2166a6c3fa0bcaf81b66b47ed79e77a&oe=55067DC8

my take:

http://s13.postimg.org/6ynh97qg7/MATRIX.png

philipped
12-23-2014, 10:38 AM
The double standard is glaringly obvious and they either don't care or can't see it.

THIS. I refuse to back down in assuming things shouldn't change, Rand definitely needs to keep going with everything he's proposing with law enforcement, and criminal justice. Anyone who lets this article stop them from jumping on the Rand Train obviously is weeeeeeeak smh.

jmdrake
12-23-2014, 10:46 AM

Well Rand has to connect the two issues in the debates. Also I heard at least one right wing talk show host criticizing Obama for only talking to the protesters and not talking to the police. Rand can honestly say he talked to both sides.

FSP-Rebel
12-23-2014, 12:48 PM
Yeah, they went out of their way to sensationalize this as a yoke around Rand's neck. All he's been doing is advocating against further police militarization and calling out the NYC situation for what it was. And, Rand is more than capable to speak his piece on this and clearly state what he means while brushing aside all the crap being shoveled.

My take on this from people I know that aren't necessarily well wishers of cops yet hardly of the opinions that many on this board harbor is: it's clearly obvious when a cop is in the wrong esp when caught on camera. That said, in the aftermath of these racial situations when the usual pimps show up to town and instigate riots which inevitably bring out the lowest of the low and then the media is able to showcase it, it's at this point where people start to rethink their allegiance here. The behavior and mannerisms they see showcased tends to endear them back towards the police and I'm sure I don't have to spell out the entire dynamic for people. Sometimes certain tactics leave a bad taste in peoples' mouths who might've agreed with you on something but now you've lost them, likely due to their own stereotypes or preferences. Just sayin

twomp
12-23-2014, 03:14 PM

https://scontent-b-sjc.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpf1/v/t1.0-9/10612609_10152383086135197_8992581026476556677_n.p ng?oh=f2166a6c3fa0bcaf81b66b47ed79e77a&oe=55067DC8

The key is to right click the image and get the actual image URL.

torchbearer
12-23-2014, 06:52 PM
the same cops they worship will be the ones taking their guns. dumb fucks.

RonPaulFanInGA
12-23-2014, 07:05 PM
American politics in 2014 is nothing but a bunch of asinine articles/columns written by bloggers who over-analyze everything. This right here is the perfect example.

Nobody, except partisans who already dislike Paul, is going to blame him for some idiot's actions (see Tim Profitt), and in a month no one will even remember this crap.

Brett85
12-23-2014, 08:01 PM
The key is to right click the image and get the actual image URL.

Thanks. I guess I'm not as computer literate as I should be. Lol.

anaconda
12-23-2014, 08:18 PM
Not to worry. By the end of next week there will be multiple new incidences of shocking and horrifying police brutality hitting the news. Or Rand's staff can simply pull up a few hundred of the cases out of the archives.

GunnyFreedom
12-23-2014, 08:24 PM

And one day they will either die, stop trying to control everything, or get an iron fist up the wazoo and change their mind. Maybe not until they are enroute to the camps.

GunnyFreedom
12-23-2014, 08:27 PM

America has been programmed in a way unique to the world to show extraordinary reverence for police officers. It's hard to shake training that started at 3 years old and continues to be reinforced to this day.

RonPaulMall
12-26-2014, 02:15 PM
Yeah, they went out of their way to sensationalize this as a yoke around Rand's neck. All he's been doing is advocating against further police militarization and calling out the NYC situation for what it was. And, Rand is more than capable to speak his piece on this and clearly state what he means while brushing aside all the crap being shoveled.

That is what he should have been doing. As supporters, we shouldn't fall in to the habit of sugarcoating things. It does nobody any good in the long run. This whole police thing should have been a great issue for Rand but he's really bungled it. The meeting with Sharpton was a devastating error that is going to plague him for years to come and his opponents are going to hammer him over it in the primaries. And Rand needed to anticipate that the media was going to poison the well by turning it in to a black and white issue. Instead of piling on the black thing and playing right in to the media's hands, Rand should have been highlighting white victims (the Vet who was gunned down at Costco or whatever, the homeless guy beaten to death out West, harassment of open carry folks, ect) to demonstrate that this isn't about black or white.

We need to be honest. The media won this, and Rand lost. The story has been transformed from "militarization of police" to "do you support black people or do you support white people". Rand is a weaker candidate today than before this issue came to the fore, and that is solely a result of Rand's team bungling their response and message. We can't blame the media because the media will always be against us and if we aren't anticipating their games then that is on us. And whoever thought meeting with Al Sharpton was a good idea needs to be fired, stat.

Warlord
12-27-2014, 06:25 AM
American politics in 2014 is nothing but a bunch of asinine articles/columns written by bloggers who over-analyze everything. This right here is the perfect example.

Nobody, except partisans who already dislike Paul, is going to blame him for some idiot's actions (see Tim Profitt), and in a month no one will even remember this crap.

+1

I can't wait to hear the screeching in unison when Rand Paul takes New Hampshire.

acptulsa
12-27-2014, 09:00 AM
Instead of piling on the black thing and playing right in to the media's hands, Rand should have been highlighting white victims (the Vet who was gunned down at Costco or whatever, the homeless guy beaten to death out West, harassment of open carry folks, ect) to demonstrate that this isn't about black or white.

And no doubt he will. But it was too soon. The right time to do this is after these propagandizing abusers of the word 'quixotic' dog pile on him sufficiently to actually get Boobus' attention. Then he can point out that white skin is no magic armor and instantly win everyone over but the blathering talking heads.

We're too impatient--and so was Ron Paul. Rand Paul actually seems to understand that timing is everything. No wonder some of you doubt he's libertarian...

philipped
12-27-2014, 09:49 AM
We're too impatient--and so was Ron Paul. Rand Paul actually seems to understand that timing is everything. No wonder some of you doubt he's libertarian...

It's been past the time to start thinking patently, strategically and long-term.

Matt Collins
12-27-2014, 09:58 AM
the same cops they worship will be the ones taking their guns. dumb fucks.
A very accurate picture is painted here: http://www.lewrockwell.com/2013/04/david-hathaway/your-2nd-amendment-cop-buddy-will-take-your-guns/

Matt Collins
12-27-2014, 10:00 AM
and if the statist ass kissing GOP voters nominate Christie or Bush, I won't forgive them.Well, realize that only a handful of them get to nominate the nominee... the nomination process is over in the vast majority of states by the time their election comes around.

This means it is up to us to outwork the establishment and/or neocon candidates in the early states. Florida is a foregone conclusion for Jeb, as well as South Carolina likely. But New Hampshire and Iowa are up in the air. We only need to win one of them, and then place well in another (although I think that winning both NH and IA is within our grasp).

RonPaulMall
12-27-2014, 10:05 AM
It's been past the time to start thinking patently, strategically and long-term.

Furthermore, if Rand did what he did because of some "strategic" rationale, it is even more concerning because the as far as strategy goes, it would be about as dumb as it gets. First impressions are everything in politics. If Rand is somehow planning on salvaging this thing months from now when the media has moved on and nobody is paying attention anymore than he has no understanding of how politics work. Not only did Rand hurt himself politically with the horrible way he handled this issue, he might have also killed any hope for for repeal of the military surplus hardware policy next year. When you are fighting the establishment, being an average politician isn't good enough. You need to be better than everybody else. Rand's first couple years in office he and his team were absolutely brilliant and he rose to prominence quicker than probably any first term Senator in history and became a bona fide Presidential contender. But lately they've been the team that can't shoot straight. Team Rand needs a shake up. I think losing the Southern Avenger hurt them more than any of us realized at the time. Seems like he was the only person on the staff who understood America and the American people. I think Rand needs to go hunting for some of the folks that ran Dave Brat's campaign and bring them on if he hopes to salvage his reputation in time to be a player for 2016.

philipped
12-27-2014, 12:20 PM
But lately they've been the team that can't shoot straight. Team Rand needs a shake up. I think losing the Southern Avenger hurt them more than any of us realized at the time. Seems like he was the only person on the staff who understood America and the American people.

Explain more please.

CaptainAmerica
12-27-2014, 12:35 PM
Republicans support cops? thats new to me lol. Republicans and Democrats kiss the ass of the union blues.

DamianTV
12-27-2014, 04:09 PM
GOP wont forgive? I wont forgive the GOP for what they did to Ron, and every other backstabbery deal theyve ever made!

boneyard bill
01-01-2015, 10:35 AM
All the examples that were given in this article referred to the general election and not to the primaries. Even then, they were quite as stretch. If anyone made a special "law and order" appeal in '68, it was George Wallace, not Richard Nixon. And Dukakis adamantly stood by his "furlough" program in Massachusetts. If he had sought some sort of damage control, it probably wouldn't have hurt him so badly.

The key question I would ask is, "Where are the Republicans who are criticizing Rand on this issue?" He's getting some criticism from Rubio on his Cuba stance and by others on his Iraq position. But I don't see any potential candidates or even non-candidates like John McCain taking him to task on this issue. Even people like Krauthammer are silent of this question.

If the poster is right about this, then there should be criticism now. Raising the issue in the future will look like desperation.

Warlord
01-01-2015, 11:02 AM
A very accurate picture is painted here: http://www.lewrockwell.com/2013/04/david-hathaway/your-2nd-amendment-cop-buddy-will-take-your-guns/

Without LRC we would be completely lost. Please consider a donation.