PDA

View Full Version : GOP Sen. Jerry Moran: Ease Rules on Farm Trade With Cuba Now

Brett85
12-22-2014, 05:24 PM
President Barack Obama's announcement this week that he would normalize diplomatic relations with Cuba and ease some economic restrictions has been closely followed in Kansas, as the move could open up a major market for winter wheat producers.

"This is a Kansas issue because wheat is Cuba's second largest import, right behind oil," U.S. Sen. Jerry Moran said Friday.

The Republican senator urged the Treasury Department to immediately rewrite cumbersome regulations that have made it difficult to sell wheat and other farm commodities to Cuba — saying the agency can take that step even before Congress grapples with whether to entirely lift the U.S. trade embargo.

Cuba is a natural market for U.S. wheat, particularly for the type of hard red winter wheat that the island nation favors for bread making and that Kansas grows. Industry officials estimate Cuba could potentially buy 500,000 metric tons of wheat annually from the United States, and Kansas is the largest wheat-producing state.

Agricultural commodities such as wheat are exempted from the half-century old embargo. But the administration of George W. Bush instituted costly rules, such as requiring up-front cash payments before commodities leave U.S. ports and that the payments go through banks in other countries, Moran said. The only other exceptions to the embargo have been food and medicinal products.

Cuba has not purchased any U.S. wheat since 2011. Most of the wheat it now buys comes from the European Union and Canada, according to The National Association of Wheat Growers. But Cuba could see lower shipping costs if the grain was exporting from the Gulf of Mexico, which is where Kansas ships its harvest.

Moran praised Obama's plan to re-establish diplomatic relations and ease some economic and travel restrictions, and now wants the Treasury Department to immediately roll back the burdensome regulations on the country that's 90 miles from the U.S.

"These steps can be taken, and should be taken," Moran said. Moran has also vowed to work in Congress on the side of lifting the embargo, which would require the repeal of specific laws.

"This is a very contentious issue, and nothing will be easy about it, but in my view the embargo should be lifted," he said.

A 2010 Texas A&M; study estimates that easing restrictions and lifting the travel ban could result in $365 million in additional sales of U.S. agricultural goods, boost the U.S. economy by $1.1 billion and create 6,000 new jobs.

"For those of us who worked over the last 15 years to try to expand our markets, this was one we have worked for a long time to try to get opened back up," said Dean Stoskopf, a Hoisington wheat grower who went to Cuba in 2003 on an educational trip with about 20 other farmers.

Mark Coberly, a Gove wheat grower who was on that trip, said the embargo isn't working and there are no big downsides to the United States and plenty of upsides.

"So why not? This has been pretty much a political deal for 50 years - there has been no economic reason for doing it," he added.

Moran said it will be a challenge to get Congress to lift the embargo, and it will not happen overnight.

"I am of the view that when people get market oriented - consumer products, a better diet, Levi jeans, the things that Americans are known for - then they start making demands upon their government for personal freedoms as well," Moran said.

http://www.newsmax.com/Headline/moran-kansas-farm-trade/2014/12/20/id/614243/

sparebulb
12-22-2014, 07:20 PM
Better government brought to you by Monsanto.

Natural Citizen
12-22-2014, 07:37 PM
Better government brought to you by Monsanto.

Make no mistake, this whole thing with Cuba is reactionary. It is a defensive maneuver. And, yes, one that seems designed to keep various western industry relevant whereas the rest of the world continues to reject those industries.

There has been a growing BRICSA commitment to develop Cuba if anyone has been paying attention. Interestingly, those who are looking to develop Cuba are competitive non-gmo nations. I don't think the lifting od some of these sanctions are going to block the inevitable but may slow it down. Western Agribusiness is certainly scrambling to try to remain relevant to U.S. foreign policy but they're falling behind.

Here is some relevant reading wit regard to BRICS development of cuba. Or moves that lead to that, I should say.

Russia writes off 90% of Cuba’s debt ahead of Putin’s ‘big tour’ to L. America – 7.11.14 (http://x22report.com/russia-writes-off-90-of-cubas-debt-ahead-of-putins-big-tour-to-l-america/)

Let's not forget Argentina while we're on the subject...

“Argentina has one of the world’s largest deposits of shale oil and gas, but only a few companies have made commitments to develop the fields as many fear the government’s interventionist energy policies.

“Although a deal on the shale deposits was not announced Saturday, Fernandez said members of the Russian delegation traveling with Putin will visit Argentina’s Vaca Muerta (Dead Cow) deposit in Neuquen province.”

Continued - Putin Signs Nuclear Energy Deal With Argentina (http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/07/12/us-russia-argentina-idUSKBN0FH0P520140712)

Aside - Monsanto in US Foreign Policy (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?415950-Monsanto-in-US-Foreign-Policy)

Brett85
12-22-2014, 08:06 PM
So people don't care that a prominent U.S Senator is advocating liberty on this issue? We're just going to get liberal comments about how farmers and Monsanto are bad?

Natural Citizen
12-22-2014, 08:11 PM
So people don't care that a prominent U.S Senator is advocating liberty on this issue? We're just going to get liberal comments about how farmers and Monsanto are bad?

There is nothing liberal about my comment. Or the information that I shared. These are relevant aspects.

Left-right paradigm is an old gag that doesn't work any more. It used to work. But it doesn't anymore. What we're seeing here is relevant as the TPP comes into fruition and we'd do well to pay attention as industry maneuvers with government. Specifically to who is saying what.

Again, there is nothing at all liberal about my thought on it. And my thought on things like this always come with relevant sources to back up any thought that I do share on such things.

Brett85
12-22-2014, 08:28 PM
There is nothing liberal about my comment. Or the information that I shared. These are relevant aspects.

Left-right paradigm is an old gag that doesn't work any more. It used to work. But it doesn't anymore. What we're seeing here is relevant as the TPP comes into fruition and we'd do well to pay attention as industry maneuvers with government. Specifically to who is saying what.

Again, there is nothing at all liberal about my thought on it. And my thought on things like this always come with relevant sources to back up any thought that I do share on such things.

It's absolutely liberal as well as authoritarian to support mandatory labeling of food.

sparebulb
12-22-2014, 08:38 PM

Wake me up when Monsanto's Senator from Kansas says anything that resembles liberty.

sparebulb
12-22-2014, 08:46 PM
It's absolutely liberal as well as authoritarian to support mandatory labeling of food.

Just because your closeted GOP friends recklessly stuff unlabeled things up their bung-holes, doesn't mean that their "free market" philosophies carry over to prevent the rest of us from knowing what we are stuffing in our mouths.

Natural Citizen
12-22-2014, 08:47 PM

You're talking about western agribusiness with regard to trade/foreign policy. 90% of the rest of the world requires labeling of imports if they even accept the products at all. This is a matter of foreign policy. There is nothing liberal about it.

Brett85
12-22-2014, 08:49 PM
Wake me up when Monsanto's Senator from Kansas says anything that resembles liberty.

He did in the article. That's why I posted it. He's one of the few Republican Senators standing with Rand on this.

Brett85
12-22-2014, 08:51 PM
Just because your closeted GOP friends recklessly stuff unlabeled things up their bung-holes, doesn't mean that their "free market" philosophies carry over to prevent the rest of us from knowing what we are stuffing in our mouths.

I take it you regularly post over at the Daily Kos?

sparebulb
12-22-2014, 08:57 PM
I take it you regularly post over at the Daily Kos?

No, but if they discuss the hypocrisy of the "traditional conservatives" and their ass-banging, pedophilic tendencies, then perhaps I will.

Brett85
12-22-2014, 09:00 PM
No, but if they discuss the hypocrisy of the "traditional conservatives" and their ass-banging, pedophilic tendencies, then perhaps I will.

From what I can see, "traditional conservatives" are far more libertarian than those who call themselves libertarians. Even an establishment Republican like Jerry Moran is far more libertarian you are. I don't think even Jerry Moran supports the kind of massive government mandates that you and the other phony libertarians support.

sparebulb
12-22-2014, 09:11 PM
Thanks for the new tag line.

Brett85
12-22-2014, 09:12 PM
Thanks for the new tag line.

No problem. I think you should go check your phone. The DNC is likely calling you, asking for donations.

r3volution 3.0
12-22-2014, 09:16 PM

Who's stuffing things in your mouth?

As for whether the products which you voluntarily stuff into your own mouth are labelled, tough titty, that's up to the companies.

Don't like it? You don't have to buy their products.

Anyway, to the OP, great to see some mainstream GOPer support for lifting the embargo.

sparebulb
12-22-2014, 09:16 PM
No problem. I think you should go check your phone. The DNC is likely calling you, asking for donations.

I think you should check your mail. Your AIDS test might indicate that your favorite neocons may have dropped a little extra in your cornhole.

Brett85
12-22-2014, 09:24 PM
I think you should check your mail. Your AIDS test might indicate that your favorite neocons may have dropped a little extra in your cornhole.

You're the neocon, buddy. I posted an article about how Jerry Moran is standing with Rand against the neocons on the Cuba issue, and you responded by attacking Jerry Moran. Personally, I oppose the neocons and support lifting the embargo against Cuba.

r3volution 3.0
12-22-2014, 09:28 PM

-1 for vulgarity

sparebulb
12-22-2014, 09:52 PM
-1 for vulgarity

Another low post neg-repper.

FrankRep?

specsaregood
12-22-2014, 10:17 PM
I'm glad to see Sen. Moran on the correct side of this issue, hopefully he can drag a few more GOP members along with him. Thanks for letting us know TC.

T.hill
12-23-2014, 03:43 AM

You could just ask the retailer what's in the food you're buying? Otherwise the market will adapt to a demand for labels or nutritional information about the food consumers are buying, as entrepreneurial companies identify the advantage of doing so.