PDA

View Full Version : Please check with your post office about sending tea in an envelope. Please read.

paulitics
12-03-2007, 03:17 PM
Please read the whole thing. :)

I recently spoke to nice lady at USPS about this project. She said the main thing is to make sure it is secure, and that nothing can leak out. She couldn't guarnatee that it would zip through, so she suggested I bring it in. She mentioned something, about taping the item, to secure it. Someone else metioned, putting it in a ziplock bag. This may not be required everywhere, but sounds like a sound idea. You will also get a discount, and can work with them if you bring it up to the counter and discuss, instead of mail dumping. Food for thought. :)

There were some other ideas, and compromises, and honestly if we still do this
I think the least safe idea is actually opening the package up, pouring out the contents, and sending an empty wrapper. For one, it was obviously tampered with, and particles may sttill be loose. It does not give the receiver of the envelope an opportunity to discard it if they are alarmed. Imagine receiving an opened package of anything suspicious, ? Not cool, even if you think it is completely empty. Why, because you had no opportuntiy to discard it. With a sealed wrapper, you do. It actually infringes upon your liberty to inspect it and throw it away before it is opened.

So, I recomend you do the same myself and a couple of others did today, CHECK first. Each Post Office may be different depending on the regulations of your town.
If you send it out without it being secure, and without a sealed paper wrapper, you are probably breaking their regulations. If you do a massive dump, without following basic procedures you may be breaking the LAW, because you are in essence interfering with their normal functions of screening and delivering mail.
And you know what, YOU DESERVE to get fined in my opinion for tying up the post office workers that should be doing their job of screening and delivering mail. Oh, and not to mention could be a bad press story in your local news reflecting negatively on the campaign because you said "to hell with the post office".
Remember, we are not protesting the people at the post office, The post office is not our problem, lets not make enemies with them :cool:

If there are thousands of us, being careless and insensitive about their procedures, we are asking for trouble. We will slow down the post offices that day, draw attention to perhaps DHS, etc. :mad: This will definately get in the press. It will make us look like sloppy and selfish, people. They will think libertarians don't give a rats behind about why regualtions are in place for safety, and efficiency and will solidify their prejudices against us, without any spin from the media. And you know what I will agree with them on this, because it is exactly what it is, selfish and childish.

Now finally, the President's office advises against sending food or beverage items? I surmise Congress has the same policy, for the same reasons. If we continue with this, we need to let them know that they will be receiving likely a hundred thousand tea bags. The same thing should go for congress, etc. To gridlock government that day is irresponsible and, I know some of you still think that the public will love us for it, but please be realistic. They should be forwarned about something major like 100,000 tea bags that their security will have to deal with.

If we cover our ASS, than we avoid 2 things.

1) Something seriously going wrong, like a real lunatic, or provocatear engaging in mischief, which none of us want to see happen, BUT CAN HAPPEN. If the post office does their job, and we do our job, than we are not to blame after that point. Our hands will be clean. It will cut down on the mayhem. Real terrorists choose days that have alot of mayhem. 911 had alot of mayhem in the morning, with all of the drills and war games. I know this is a low risk, but it is far more possible with this idea, than anything else we have done.

2) Blowback from the media. They will not be able to lie and say we broke the law, and didn't warn people of what was coming. Any made up story, or spin will be shoved right back in their face. If we are truly wrong, how will we counter that? the public at large will not sympathise if we are sloppy, inconsiderate, careless, or seem like anarchists/lunatics who have no respect for the law or general flow of things. Your view is biased if you think otherwise.

If some of you choose to do it your way, and throw a tantrum, than I will not support you or your cause. In essence, it is you who is derailing this TEA PARTY. Not me, the tea party was developed a long time before this idea, and is not what people pledged for. Please be respectful, and enough of this "to hell with this, everyone is a naysayer, and a troll BS". Grow up.

Thank you.

billjarrett
12-03-2007, 03:28 PM
I agree. I will be mailing with the ziplock bag.

The woman I spoke to at USPS said that the reason for this was odor. She said that anything odorous could cause their security sensors to go off, causing a problem.

kylejack
12-03-2007, 03:30 PM
How much does a teabag + envelope weigh?

Ron LOL
12-03-2007, 03:31 PM
Ziplock bags sound good!

Or if you're sending individually sealed teabags, tape would probably be fine.

tonyTheBest
12-03-2007, 03:32 PM
Stop sending TEABAG.
It's a terrible idea.

shortna
12-03-2007, 03:34 PM
How much does a teabag + envelope weigh?

I took an envelope with individually wrapped teabag to my locale post office. They said the thinkness and weight was fine for the .41 cent stamp. I did not include a zip lock bag because my post office did not have issues when I told them I was mailing tea to celebrate the Boston Tea Party. :D

http://img141.imageshack.us/img141/8855/tea2qz9.jpg

paulitics
12-03-2007, 03:34 PM
Ziplock bags sound good!

Or if you're sending individually sealed teabags, tape would probably be fine.

If you mean individually sealed tea bags with paper packaging, and taped in the envelope, yes. Because it will be secure, instead of jiggling around.

ckhagen
12-03-2007, 03:36 PM
I mailed teabags to a friend one time and they opened it. I think they thought I was trying to mail pot.

OferNave
12-03-2007, 03:52 PM
I very much appreciate that you've switched to making constructive posts, and some of your advice is actually useful, but...

And you know what, YOU DESERVE to get fined in my opinion for tying up the post office workers that should be doing their job of screening and delivering mail.

We deserve to get fined? For sending mail to our representatives?

Are you sure you fully understand the platform of the candidate that you support?

akovacs
12-03-2007, 03:57 PM
Yeah, I'm still trying to wrap my head about this. How again does this benefit the campaign?

Indianapolis had a demonstration over their high property taxes. They took a huge bag of tea (It actually might not even have had any tea in it, but just marked as such) and dumped it into the river in town. It was all over the news that night. Why can't we do the same thing? This teabag business seems so counterproductive and I still don't see what we get out of it.

billjarrett
12-03-2007, 03:59 PM
We had a protest in Chicago against the bottled water tax. People stood by the chicago river and dumped bottled water into it. It got just above zero attention.

I think this is a better idea because it can be done nationwide on a larger scale, and isn't time consuming for the supporters so we should get a decent turnout.

akovacs
12-03-2007, 04:00 PM
But what's the ultimate goal? Media attention? A response from the people getting the bags?

Oh, and the possible reason it didn't get attention is probably because no one cares about a bottled water tax. The Indy protest got a lot of media attention because, well, just about everyone pays property tax. It wouldn't hard to structure it as an income tax protest.

shortna
12-03-2007, 04:07 PM
But what's the ultimate goal? Media attention? A response from the people getting the bags?

the idea at first was media attention but now i'm doing it to protest the fear mongering.

the fear mongering is the same reason we sat down when we should have stood up to MSM and the neo cons when they kept america in fear with their talking points: terrorist, al qaeda, weapons of mass distruction, terrorist, WMDs, mushroom cloud, terrorist, islamic extremist, 9/11, terrorist, nuclear, dirty bomb, terrorist :eek:

tron paul
12-03-2007, 04:11 PM
Stop sending TEABAG.
It's a terrible idea.

I think sending teabags with letters is a SUBURB idea.
People will open them, and be like "free tea!"

then they'll read the letter and decide to vote ron paul.

when they drink the tea, they get reminded to support the Tea Party.

V4Vendetta
12-03-2007, 04:11 PM
Damnit...

Some of You ASK PERMISSION FOR EVERYTHING

USPS... No Sir you can't do that.... Umm. Ok. I will follow the rules...

Some of you people make me SICK

Question.... When Fema, City Police, County Sheriffs, or Blackwater, knock on your door, wanting your GUNS and/or Take you to a FEMA camp for your own safety... ARE YOU GOING TO GIVE THEM YOUR GUNS AND GO TO A FEMA CAMP???? OR JUST ASK PERMISSION TO SHOOT THEM FIRST?

Those of you that thought asking USPS about sending tea bags in the mail... are prabably dumb enough to put down your return address. LOL

OferNave
12-03-2007, 04:13 PM
the idea at first was media attention but now i'm doing it to protest the fear mongering.

You made me smile. :)

paulitics
12-03-2007, 04:17 PM
I very much appreciate that you've switched to making constructive posts, and some of your advice is actually useful, but...

We deserve to get fined? For sending mail to our representatives?

Are you sure you fully understand the platform of the candidate that you support?

Ok, so you appreciate my constructive posts and then you take what I say out of context, and make an ad hominem attack...implying that I'm less libertarian than thou, because I am not for breaking the law? So you want no rules, regulations for safety and to keep things efficient at the post office. Just break the law, stick it to the postal workers, that'll show em. So if I'm not for post office anarchy, I'm not with Ron Paul. Got it.

torchbearer
12-03-2007, 04:18 PM
Use UPS ground. make them sign for each package.

billjarrett
12-03-2007, 04:18 PM

Oh, and the possible reason it didn't get attention is probably because no one cares about a bottled water tax. The Indy protest got a lot of media attention because, well, just about everyone pays property tax. It wouldn't hard to structure it as an income tax protest.

Actually, the bottled water tax was a HUGE issue in Chicago. Mayor Daley had a whole slew of new taxes he wanted to put in (and so did Cook County and State of Illinois at the same time). People in Chicago were really pissed because their taxes were already so high, and for some strange reason bottled water tax was one of the ones they were most angry about. I couldn't drive to work and back without hearing about the bottled water tax. I wouldn't have known about Jacksons protest if I hadn't heard it from a friend who lives downtown (I live in the 'burbs). I guess pretty much he was the butt of local jokes.

Edit: I believe this was Jesse Jackson Jr, not the Reverand

Edit (one more): http://kennyjohnsonjr.com/news.html is the story. Got published in the Chicago Defender (lol, what? I've lived in the area almost my whole life and never heard of it).. And they got a whopping 30 angry folks to participate.

paulitics
12-03-2007, 04:38 PM
Damnit...

Some of You ASK PERMISSION FOR EVERYTHING

USPS... No Sir you can't do that.... Umm. Ok. I will follow the rules...

Some of you people make me SICK

Question.... When Fema, City Police, County Sheriffs, or Blackwater, knock on your door, wanting your GUNS and/or Take you to a FEMA camp for your own safety... ARE YOU GOING TO GIVE THEM YOUR GUNS AND GO TO A FEMA CAMP???? OR JUST ASK PERMISSION TO SHOOT THEM FIRST?

Those of you that thought asking USPS about sending tea bags in the mail... are prabably dumb enough to put down your return address. LOL

So you are for dumping tea bags in the mail without any paper wrapping, and no return address? To prove what point? You do realize it is going to go right in the trash can and not make it past the screeners right? All you are doing is pissing off the postal workers that will reflect badly on the whole campaign for your selfish reasons.

And stop over dramatizing everything to being the end of liberty with your FEMA CAMP analogies. Its getting old. Come on, someone who follows the procedures may actually do it for reasons like 1) It will actually get there. 2) It will be better for the post office workers, who are just trying to do their darn job. 3) It will be better for the campaign, not generating negative publicity.

Now, I can understand you not caring about 2 and 3 for your selfish reasons, but just how does NOT having your mail get there accomplish anything in your self interest, other than a BIG "that'll show em."

torchbearer
12-03-2007, 04:41 PM
Use a private postal service. screw the USPS. I worked for the USPS for about 2 months, those people are over paid and in general not very motivated to work hard... they played basketball with people's bigger packages. chunking them into the different bins. I know it may cost a lil' more to send it UPS, but it will be worth it, plus you will be helping a private company not a government monstrosity.

stljim
12-03-2007, 04:43 PM
how about not sending tea through the mail?

torchbearer
12-03-2007, 04:51 PM
how about not sending tea through the mail?

That's fine if you don't want to.. i don't think any less of you for it. This part of the grassroots isn't for the timid.

V4Vendetta
12-03-2007, 04:55 PM
So you are for dumping tea bags in the mail without any paper wrapping, and no return address? To prove what point? You do realize it is going to go right in the trash can and not make it past the screeners right? All you are doing is pissing off the postal workers that will reflect badly on the whole campaign for your selfish reasons.

And stop over dramatizing everything to being the end of liberty with your FEMA CAMP analogies. Its getting old. Come on, someone who follows the procedures may actually do it for reasons like 1) It will actually get there. 2) It will be better for the post office workers, who are just trying to do their darn job. 3) It will be better for the campaign, not generating negative publicity.

Now, I can understand you not caring about 2 and 3 for your selfish reasons, but just how does NOT having your mail get there accomplish anything in your self interest, other than a BIG "that'll show em."

Hey... NEWSFLASH..... MAIL IS STILL DELIVERED TO WHERE ITS ADDRESSED< EVEN WITHOUT A RETURN LABEL....

the return label is in case it's undeliverable, they send it back to you.

RonPaulVolunteer
12-03-2007, 05:21 PM
You are all acting out of your own selfish desires.

How about putting the campaign before your own wants.

You're all very VERY selfish.

Don't send anything except money to Ron Paul.

Paulitician
12-03-2007, 05:23 PM
This part of the grassroots isn't for the timid.
No, just the dimwitted apparently!
Seriously. It's one of the most worthless and nuttiest idea I've seen on the forums yet.

Don't send anything except money to Ron Paul.
I completely agree with you sir!

torchbearer
12-03-2007, 05:30 PM
No, just the dimwitted apparently!

:rolleyes: Your words define who you are.... How could one Paul supporter personally attack another? Perhaps you really don't love your fellow man, but would rather attack them.

OferNave
12-03-2007, 05:36 PM
Ok, so you appreciate my constructive posts and then you take what I say out of context, and make an ad hominem attack...implying that I'm less libertarian than thou, because I am not for breaking the law? So you want no rules, regulations for safety and to keep things efficient at the post office. Just break the law, stick it to the postal workers, that'll show em. So if I'm not for post office anarchy, I'm not with Ron Paul. Got it.

*I'm* taking statements out of context and making ad hominem attacks? :)

paulitics
12-03-2007, 05:46 PM
Hey... NEWSFLASH..... MAIL IS STILL DELIVERED TO WHERE ITS ADDRESSED< EVEN WITHOUT A RETURN LABEL....

the return label is in case it's undeliverable, they send it back to you.

AH NEWSFLASH! the mail won't get past the screeners, if you do not DO things according to them. All your protesting the post office won't matter. If the tea bag is loose, not in paper packaging, it goes straight in the trash can just like I said for the 3rd time in this thread.
Since there are procedures in dealing with envelopes that have something loose in them, you will have to pay a surcharge. This is not a regular letter, so not putting your address on it may cause it to be chucked. Not my rules. But I understand why they are there. This is a waste of tea, and use of a self satisfying "that'll show em".

torchbearer
12-03-2007, 05:56 PM
Use a private postal service. screw the USPS. I worked for the USPS for about 2 months, those people are over paid and in general not very motivated to work hard... they played basketball with people's bigger packages. chunking them into the different bins. I know it may cost a lil' more to send it UPS, but it will be worth it, plus you will be helping a private company not a government monstrosity.

ups

Madison
12-03-2007, 06:11 PM
Please, someone make this stop...

Ball
12-03-2007, 08:55 PM
I mailed teabags to a friend one time and they opened it. I think they thought I was trying to mail pot.

I can't see how this could be a bad thing, unless you were mailing pot.

Just imagine the headlines when you get busted!