PDA

View Full Version : The law of diminishing returns

Sematary
12-03-2007, 03:10 PM
Recently, as everyone here is well aware, we have gotten a series of emails from the campaign asking for our most generous donation. While I don't have an issue with this per se, it is telling (and expected) that the result of each email plea has been less successful than the one before. What does this mean? It means the hardcore supporters - those who WILL donate, are being asked to donate far too often. We all have limited abilities to donate to the campaign (well, most of us anyway) and it would seem to me that in order to secure funds from another source, the campaign needs to be having more of those "private meetings with Ron" kind of things. Those can bring in as much in one sitting as one of these email pleas at this point and, if they were to schedule two a day, could bring in far more money than the diminishing returns of these emails.
Just a thought....

hawkeyenick
12-03-2007, 03:12 PM
You are forgetting something key...there is no way to establish the point at which returns start to diminish until after the fact

BLS
12-03-2007, 03:14 PM
I agree to an extent.

I also think everyone is hoarding their money for the 16th Tea Party and that has alot to do with it.

CasualApathy
We are actually hitting the same donation rate as the last money bomb:

http://paulcash.slact.net/today-paulflow.png

uncloned21
I think it's the campaign doing their own money bombs. We have ours, they have theirs. I am sure they are contacting a smaller segment of supporters who are unaware of the other grassroots efforts.

/maybe

Sematary
12-03-2007, 03:19 PM
You are forgetting something key...there is no way to establish the point at which returns start to diminish until after the fact

The point it began was right after the first one. Each successive one has only been a few days from the previous and has brought in less than the previous. This one will be no different. I understand the need to bring funds into the campaign (I really do), but the campaign has to get more creative in it's fundraising rather than simply depending on the same pool of donors time after time. The expected result - smaller returns, is evident.

You can see the exact same thing in blood donations. Donors can only be asked to donate so often for a variety of reasons, including their health but in the end it all boils down to the fact that it takes time for the body to replace the lost blood. Well, it takes time for everyday people to recover from donations. We have bills to pay too and Mr. Bydlak needs to begin to understand that they need to tap into alternative donors.

Sematary
12-03-2007, 03:20 PM
We are actually hitting the same donation rate as the last money bomb:

http://paulcash.slact.net/today-paulflow.png

Except for one hour it looks like less to me.

hawkeyenick
12-03-2007, 03:21 PM
The point it began was right after the first one. Each successive one has only been a few days from the previous and has brought in less than the previous. This one will be no different. I understand the need to bring funds into the campaign (I really do), but the campaign has to get more creative in it's fundraising rather than simply depending on the same pool of donors time after time. The expected result - smaller returns, is evident.

You can see the exact same thing in blood donations. Donors can only be asked to donate so often for a variety of reasons, including their health but in the end it all boils down to the fact that it takes time for the body to replace the lost blood. Well, it takes time for everyday people to recover from donations. We have bills to pay too and Mr. Bydlak needs to begin to understand that they need to tap into alternative donors.

Wrong, you won't know that point until the november 2008. The "all things constant" aspect is changing with new supporters, and we haven't reached the BIG money bomb yet.

Drop your weak analysis until at least after that point, it's just spreading negativity at this point and is pure speculation.

billjarrett
12-03-2007, 03:21 PM
We had some heavy hitters just after 8AM too.. I wonder what that was about?

http://paulcash.slact.net/

Sematary
12-03-2007, 03:22 PM
I agree to an extent.

I also think everyone is hoarding their money for the 16th Tea Party and that has alot to do with it.

everyone is a subjective word considering not everyone knows about the 16th. In fact, I would say that a relatively small number of total donors are aware of it's existence. I believe the event is mostly in the awareness of hard core supporters. I tend to doubt that the 16th is having that much of an impact. If it is, then the campaign isn't growing nearly fast enough.

hawkeyenick
12-03-2007, 03:22 PM
We had some heavy hitters just after 8AM too.. I wonder what that was about?

http://paulcash.slact.net/

It trends up at 8am every single day

Sematary
12-03-2007, 03:23 PM
Wrong, you won't know that point until the november 2008. The "all things constant" aspect is changing with new supporters, and we haven't reached the BIG money bomb yet.

Drop your weak analysis until at least after that point, it's just spreading negativity at this point and is pure speculation.

I'm not being negative at all. I support the campaigns initiatives in every way possible. I am simply stating that they need to get more creative and to stop relying on the same pool of donors.

billjarrett
12-03-2007, 03:25 PM
It trends up at 8am every single day

It gets a spike like that in single donation size? Just after 8, single donation average size spiked up to about $450

Ron Paul Fan
12-03-2007, 03:26 PM
Ron Paul is sending out an email asking for donations? How dare he! It's not like Bydlack and Paul are holding a gun to your head and forcing you to donate. If you have bills to pay, pay them and wait until you have some extra money to donate! People wanted Ron Paul to start making small visits around the early states and talking with the people. He's been doing that and now they want him to hold fancy dinners that cost $1,000 a pop. Forget about all the undecideds out there who can't donate $1,000! The same pool of donors are stretched too thin, yet they've raised $60,000 already today! Oh the humanity!

Sematary
12-03-2007, 03:30 PM
Ron Paul is sending out an email asking for donations? How dare he! It's not like Bydlack and Paul are holding a gun to your head and forcing you to donate. If you have bills to pay, pay them and wait until you have some extra money to donate! People wanted Ron Paul to start making small visits around the early states and talking with the people. He's been doing that and now they want him to hold fancy dinners that cost $1,000 a pop. Forget about all the undecideds out there who can't donate $1,000! The same pool of donors are stretched too thin, yet they've raised $60,000 already today! Oh the humanity!

Do you think it's asking too much for the campaign, itself, to get more creative in it's fundraising, rather than asking the same pool of donors for the money? We are already giving, many to the point that it is going to hurt them financially in the future but nobody is complaining because it is a worthy cause - our freedom! The point is that successive emails will bring in diminishing returns because the money is coming from the same group of donors. Asking the campaign to reach out for money to more wealthy donors is not alot to ask.

hawkeyenick
12-03-2007, 03:34 PM
Do you think it's asking too much for the campaign, itself, to get more creative in it's fundraising, rather than asking the same pool of donors for the money? We are already giving, many to the point that it is going to hurt them financially in the future but nobody is complaining because it is a worthy cause - our freedom! The point is that successive emails will bring in diminishing returns because the money is coming from the same group of donors. Asking the campaign to reach out for money to more wealthy donors is not alot to ask.

We get new supporters every day...your logic is flawed

Bradley in DC
12-03-2007, 03:36 PM
It would help if Bydlack explained what he was doing, how he's reaching out to get new donors and how successful those efforts are going.

FreeTraveler
12-03-2007, 03:47 PM
The HQ letters are aimed at the people who only have MSM and don't know about what we're up to on the Internet. Let HQ raise money from those folks, Dr. Paul has made it obvious that he's aware of our efforts, and I bet they have a better estimate (or as good) of TeaParty proceeds as we do.