PDA

View Full Version : TX - Cop shoots mentally ill man for aggressively holding a spoon.

Anti Federalist
12-17-2014, 08:57 PM
Texas Officer Shoots, Kills Mentally Ill Man Holding a Spoon

http://thefreethoughtproject.com/texas-officer-shoots-kills-mentally-ill-man-holding-spoon/#A0DpTtb42ViGtbWO.99

Texarkana, Texas – In what has become an all too common occurrence, a mentally ill man, Dennis Grigsby, 35, was killed by Texarkana police after responding to a burglary call.

Officer Brent Lawing responded to a 9-1-1 call about a burglary shortly after 2:00 a.m. and found Grigsby in a “dimly lit” garage on the property.

Police allege that Grigsby was holding a “metal object,” and approached the officer “aggressively.”

The officer claims that he commanded Grigsby to stop, but Grigsby ignored his commands, forcing the officer to fire one shot into his chest, killing him.

The Grigsby family lives across the street from where the burglary call and killing took place.

The mother of Grigsby, Evelyn Grigsby, went on record that her son suffered from “mental illness,” according to News West 9.

She went on to say,

“They just told me that they shot him in his chest. They said they couldn’t tell me anything else. I’m just sick. I just can’t believe this,” adding, “My son wouldn’t hurt nobody, he ain’t had no guns or nothing.”

Grigsby’s stepfather, R. Robinson, added that Grigsby,

“Didn’t pose a danger to nobody… he just wanted help and we couldn’t help him.”

Police allege that the officer feared for his safety stating, “It appeared the suspect was holding an item, with the bowl of the spoon in his palm and the shank of the spoon coming out from the bottom of his hand like someone would hold a knife,” according to Sergeant Aaron Brower with the Texarkana, Texas Police Department.

Judging by the number of recent cases in the news where police end up killing mentally ill people, it seems that officers have little training or understanding of how to deal with people mental illness.

Just last month we reported on a case where a mom called the cops to take her son to a mental health facility, police responded and shortly after arriving on scene shot and killed her son.

Then there was the recent case of a Utah man that called a suicide prevention hotline for help, police responded with a SWAT team, eventually killing the man.

These cases, in addition to the tragic case of Kelly Thomas, who begged for his life as he was beat to death by officers, highlight how inept, or possibly callous, police are in dealing with those suffering from mental illness.

Thankfully people are beginning to wake up to the harsh reality of an out of control law enforcement apparatus that is rarely held accountable for their actions under the color of law.

By sharing stories like this, as tragic as they are, people can begin to take back control of our system, and hold those that would abuse the public trust, accountable for their actions.

Contrary to the belief of some in law enforcement, a badge does not grant a license to kill. Americans will no longer stand idly by and allow the victimization of our communities at the hands of those entrusted to enforce the law.

Officer Lawing has been placed on administrative leave, while Texas Rangers are investigating the case.

DamianTV
12-17-2014, 09:19 PM
The man wouldnt have been holding a spoon to begin with, unless he knew he was trapped in the Matrix...

sparebulb
12-17-2014, 09:26 PM
In an Andy Kaufmannesqe manner,

I proclaim that I can physically defeat any retard with a spoon, without having to use lethal force.

This cop,

much like Darren Wilson,

is a pussy.

TheTexan
12-17-2014, 09:32 PM
Police allege that the officer feared for his safety stating, “It appeared the suspect was holding an item

He was holding an item??? Holy crap, that must have been a close one. I'm glad the cop is OK.

muh_roads
12-17-2014, 09:43 PM
I think it is apparent that the war on dogs has officially shifted to the war on humans now. That happened fast.

Danke
12-17-2014, 09:43 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bCyIAsSid8

Mani
12-17-2014, 09:45 PM
Officer speak:

Police allege that the officer feared for his safety stating, “It appeared the suspect was holding an item, with the bowl of the spoon in his palm and the shank of the spoon coming out from the bottom of his hand like someone would hold a knife,” according to Sergeant Aaron Brower with the Texarkana, Texas Police Department.

Shank:

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=shank

orgin: prison slang

A homemade knife.

made out of scrap of metal found anywhere and sharpend like a knife. and bottom tightly wrapped with a cloth as a handle.

shanked.

to be stabbed by a homemade knife.
"CrookedEye John" got shanked up..

I heard he got hit with a rusty shank.

So a man with a spoon sounds like a criminal with a rusty sharpened scrap metal to lunge at cops with. How the cops survived that encounter is pretty amazing.

And for all of you who are criticizing the police who bravely had to make that 9-1-1 burglary call....FUCK YOU! I posted this in the other thread, You can't handle the truth!!!

This is the Cops M.O. so expertly summed up, no one could have ever said it better. So Fuck you I can't breathe mundane pieces of shit. This is our MO, get used to it.

"You have the luxury of not knowing what I know. That Santiago’s death, while tragic, probably saved lives. And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves lives," the character says in the movie. "You don’t want the truth because deep down in places you don’t talk about at parties, you want me on that wall, you need me on that wall. We use words like honor, code, loyalty. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said thank you, and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a weapon and stand a post. Either way, I don’t give a damn what you think you are entitled to."

http://www.ibtimes.com/nypd-cant-handle-truth-police-tweet-villains-speech-few-good-men-movie-1758933

My thought for the day is...Fuck you mundane. You can't handle the truth.

presence
12-17-2014, 10:07 PM
euthanisation of the undesireables marches on

Anti Federalist
12-17-2014, 10:38 PM
I think it is apparent that the war on dogs has officially shifted to the war on humans now. That happened fast.

A few people gave me shit over the last few years as the CFC took full hold and the "war on dogs" cranked up that resulted in posting of the Dead Dog Daily stories.

It would only be a matter of time until it became a "war on people".

http://www.reactiongifs.us/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/i_told_you_so_stephen_colbert.gif

ChristianAnarchist
12-17-2014, 10:53 PM
People are DANGEROUS!! They should all be eliminated...

Anti Federalist
12-17-2014, 11:27 PM
People are DANGEROUS!! They should all be eliminated...

Patience, comrade.

This is being worked on.

Spikender
12-18-2014, 12:18 AM
What's next, a "It's a spoon, don't shoot the loon" campaign?

Hopefully this disgusting case gets people's attention just like the others. I'm glad there's public awareness about these issues, but while people are out there chanting things and holding protests, the cops openly mock anti-police state movements and people continue to die all the while...

Fuck the police.

DamianTV
12-18-2014, 02:13 AM

Hopefully this disgusting case gets people's attention just like the others. I'm glad there's public awareness about these issues, but while people are out there chanting things and holding protests, the cops openly mock anti-police state movements and people continue to die all the while...

Fuck the police.

Or just dont "Spoon with the Loon", but I think somethign gets lost in the translation as that sounds... phalic

Fuck the Police!

Never NEVER Call 911

tod evans
12-18-2014, 05:47 AM

A few protests and SWLOD's and the world will be right again..:rolleyes:

Spikender
12-18-2014, 06:08 AM
A few protests and SWLOD's and the world will be right again..:rolleyes:

Kumbaya.

We shall overcome.

Occam's Banana
12-18-2014, 06:48 AM
Officer Brent Lawing responded [...]

Officer Lawing ... how very droll ...

Police allege that Grigsby was holding a “metal object,” and approached the officer “aggressively.”

The officer claims that he commanded Grigsby to stop, but Grigsby ignored his commands, forcing the officer to fire one shot into his chest, killing him.

Yet if Grigsby had not approached the officer at all, no doubt the officer's hyper-sensitive aggress-o-meter would have been pegged by Grigsby's "failure to comply" in some other respect - and he might thereby have been "forced" to shoot Grigsby anyway ...

And ain't it funny how, in incidents like this (or at least in the reporting of incidents like this), the cops are the only ones who never seem to have any choices or options open to them? Their guns just unaccountably "go off" on their own, or the officer is "forced" to make them go off, or etc. ... (while of course, cops' victims are, without fail, assigned full responsibility for their choices, along the lines of "he ought to have just done what he was told" or "he ought not to have aggravated the cop" or some other such thing that ultimately amounts to "he did this to himself" ...) To assign to cops the instrumentality of choice necessitates the possibility that a cop might have made the wrong choice - and we certainly can't have that, now, can we?

Judging by the number of recent cases in the news where police end up killing mentally ill people, it seems that officers have little training or understanding of how to deal with people mental illness.

Just last month we reported on a case where a mom called the cops to take her son to a mental health facility, police responded and shortly after arriving on scene shot and killed her son.

Then there was the recent case of a Utah man that called a suicide prevention hotline for help, police responded with a SWAT team, eventually killing the man.

These cases, in addition to the tragic case of Kelly Thomas, who begged for his life as he was beat to death by officers, highlight how inept, or possibly callous, police are in dealing with those suffering from mental illness.

What, pray tell, makes anyone think that things would be ANY different EVEN if cops DID have such "training" or "understanding?"

Although I know thefreethoughtproject.com is critical of police abuses, why do they grant police this kind of "wiggle room?"

After all, would incidents like this be any less problematic if the victims were NOT "mentally ill" ... ?

Contrary to the belief of some in law enforcement, a badge does not grant a license to kill.

Actually, law enforcement HAS been granted a license to kill.

Only, it's the government that grants the license, not the badge. A badge just comes with it ...

tod evans
12-18-2014, 07:13 AM
Actually, the government DOES in fact grant law enforcement a license to kill. A badge just comes with it ...

Violent psychopaths do not change their behavior unless they're forced to by a greater violence.

limequat
12-18-2014, 07:32 AM
One star again. I wish we could out the troll.

tod evans
12-18-2014, 07:39 AM

I just gave 'er a bump.........

Occam's Banana
12-18-2014, 07:42 AM

LOL. I don't normally rate threads at all. It just never occurs to me to do so.

But when someone mentions it, I rate them up if I think they deserve it.

And it looks like a couple of other of AF's threads have been "one-starred":
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?465091-%93Breathe-Easy-Don%92t-Break-The-Law%94
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?465095-The-Right-to-Resist

Maybe it's someone who has an anti Anti Federalist hard on?

ETA: LOL again. I see those one-starred threads I mentioned are already up to two and three stars respectively ...

Henry Rogue
12-18-2014, 08:03 AM
Reading the original post, i can't help but think how it correlates with kindergartners expelled for half eaten pop tarts or torn pieces of paper that vaguely resemble a gun.

JK/SEA
12-18-2014, 08:45 AM
don't cops have eye exams yearly?...

so, he says its a 'metal object'...the fucker knew it was a spoon and took the shot anyway because he knew he could get away with it.

Conclusion and verdict:

cop guilty of cowardice and murder.

EBounding
12-18-2014, 09:41 AM
His mental illness killed him.

People actually think this.

mrsat_98
12-18-2014, 10:13 AM
His mental illness killed him.

People actually think this.

His [ the cops] mental illness killed the mundane. FIFY

Carson
12-18-2014, 05:01 PM
Don't you sort of wonder if the gang members have a special tattoo for prying a spoon out of someones cold, dead, fingers.

Cissy
12-18-2014, 10:15 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MhfuuKiTcYQ

When did the Sheriff of Nottingham move to Texas?

Edit: How do you embed videos on this site?

Mani
12-18-2014, 10:23 PM
don't cops have eye exams yearly?...

so, he says its a 'metal object'...the fucker knew it was a spoon and took the shot anyway because he knew he could get away with it.

Conclusion and verdict:

cop guilty of cowardice and murder.

IT was a shank!!! That's why I had to kill him. - Officer Friendly.

Anti Federalist
12-18-2014, 10:39 PM

Yah, noticed that as well...

Anti Federalist
12-18-2014, 10:41 PM
https://www.youtube.com/embed/MhfuuKiTcYQ

When did the Sheriff of Nottingham move to Texas?

Edit: How do you embed videos on this site?

Click on the "film strip" icon in the toolbar.

Or
your youtube link [/ and "VIDEO" again]

[video=youtube;MhfuuKiTcYQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MhfuuKiTcYQ

Cissy
12-18-2014, 11:02 PM
I see what I did wrong: the video link cannot say "embed", but must say "video".

Thank you for your assistance.