PDA

View Full Version : Hypocrite De Blasio stopped press release about NY cig tax lawsuit

Valli6
12-16-2014, 10:44 PM
Wow, almost 60% of the cigarettes sold in New York are black market!

De Blasio quietly filed untaxed cig suit the week of Garner decision
By Bruce Golding
December 16, 2014

Mayor Bill de Blasio ordered city lawyers to stay silent about a groundbreaking lawsuit to keep bootleg cigarettes out of the Big Apple — because it came as Hizzoner was downplaying the illegal cigarette sales that led to the ill-fated police arrest of Eric Garner, The Post has learned.

The city Law Department drafted the civil racketeering suit the same week that a Staten Island grand jury did not indict NYPD cop Daniel Pantaleo in Garner’s chokehold death, and it was quietly filed in Brooklyn federal court on Dec. 9.

The Law Department drafted a press release boasting that the suit “is the first of its kind brought by the city against an out-of-state entity for supplying cigarette traffickers,” sources said.
But City Hall suppressed the news, ordering the Law Department not to put out the release, according to the sources.

The move kept de Blasio from looking like a hypocrite for cracking down on illegal tobacco sales at the same time he was minimizing Garner’s criminal activity, which led to his deadly July 17 arrest.

“Eric Garner was a decent man. Obviously, it was a minor offense he was committing — there’s no way it should have ended up in this situation,” de Blasio told HOT 97 radio on Dec. 4, a day after the grand jury ruling.

One city official said, “City Hall knew they had screwed up, so they squashed the press release.

“You can’t have the mayor blabbing away that selling loosies is a ‘minor offense,’ but then have the Law Department, which represents and protects the city and the mayor’s interests, file this suit,” the official said. “It reeks of duplicity."

The official, citing de Blasio’s “Tale of Two Cities” campaign rhetoric, added that “the mayor has a problem with two cities, and he created it.”

“On one hand, to pander to his voting base, he spews some nonsense that selling loosies is a ‘minor offense,’” the official said.

“But, on the other hand, he realizes this is a major issue with serious ramifications if left unchecked and he has the city’s Law Department file this first-of-its-kind federal lawsuit against the smoke shop.”

According to a March report by Bloomberg News, an estimated 57 percent of the cigarettes smoked in New York are smuggled across state lines to avoid hefty state and city taxes that add $58.50 to the cost of a carton. :eek:

The city’s suit targets Discount Tobacco & Things of Woodbridge, Va., and its president, Gaby Nouhra, who are accused of conspiring to violate the federal Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organizations Act.

Court papers say the smoke shop, located in a suburban strip mall outside Richmond, is where alleged Staten Island bootlegger Michael Zekry bought more than 2,500 cartons of cigarettes that cops found in his van last month.

“Zekry had for at least the prior two years purchased similar quantities of cigarettes from DT&T, and made those purchases far more frequently than every 10 weeks,” according to the suit.

The suit seeks a court order barring DT&T from distributing cigarettes in New York, along with all illegal profits and unspecified damages, including three times the amount of tax money lost to the alleged trafficking scheme.

http://nypost.com/2014/12/16/de-blasio-quietly-filed-untaxed-cig-suit-the-week-of-garner-decision/
Well, those pensions ain't gonna pay for themselves!

euphemia
12-16-2014, 11:02 PM
Not a major offense, but worth choking the life out of a man.

Occam's Banana
12-16-2014, 11:48 PM

Market forces FTW!!

The Gauleiter of New York City and his troupe of clowns might as well try to repeal the Law of Gravity ...

Valli6
12-17-2014, 10:16 AM
I see they are suing FedEx too.
March 31st 2014:

NEW YORK – Attorney General Eric T. Schneiderman today announced that his office has filed a $70 million lawsuit against Federal Express Corporation for unlawfully shipping nearly 80 million contraband cigarettes to consumers across New York State in violation of federal and state laws. The lawsuit joins and expands upon a complaint filed in December in Manhattan federal court by the City of New York and adds extensive claims of FedEx’s unlawful shipments around the state.

The joint complaint alleges that, between 2006 and 2012, FedEx made nearly 33,000 illegal shipments of cigarettes to consumers in New York State, amounting to over 400,000 cartons of untaxed cigarettes and a direct tax loss to the state of over $10 million. Each illegal shipment carries a maximum penalty of $5,000. The shipments were in clear violation of an agreement FedEx entered into with the New York State Attorney General’s Office in 2006, in which it agreed to cease all unlawful cigarette deliveries to consumers both in New York and throughout the country. The lawsuit further alleges that the company engaged in a pattern of racketeering activity with various cigarette retailers to traffic contraband cigarettes in violation of the federal anti-racketeering statute.

http://www.ag.ny.gov/press-release/ag-schneiderman-announces-70-million-lawsuit-against-fedex-illegally-shipping-80

Spikender
12-17-2014, 10:19 AM
Fuck them, the cancer sticks must flow. - Dune

presence
12-17-2014, 10:23 AM

I don't have a link to the study... but essentially they collected garbage across the state, roadside, public trash cans, etc. and sorted out the empty cigarette wrappers.

Only 40% of the empty packages state wide had tax stamps.

morfeeis
12-17-2014, 11:00 AM

lets not sugar coat this, murder, those low lifes murdered a man over a victimless crime.

Weston White
12-17-2014, 11:29 AM

<sarcasm amount="thick">

No see, it is not for such minor offenses that are worthy of throttling humanity, but resisting arrest for having offended so damn well is.

</sarcasm>

presence
12-17-2014, 11:31 AM
The city’s suit targets Discount Tobacco & Things of Woodbridge, Va., and its president, Gaby Nouhra, who are accused of conspiring to violate the federal Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organizations Act.

LOL these people have no clue what racketteering even is. Its the GOVERNMENT that is racketteering (aka regulatory capture) tax stamped cigarettes.

There wouldn't even be a market for NYS stamped cigarettes if it wasn't by enforcement, it's not like NYS stamps are certifying organic origin. The stamps provide ZERO market benefit.

I'd love to see a boston tea party reenactment on NYS stamped cigarettes.

presence
12-17-2014, 04:14 PM
http://i.imgur.com/gbY228C.jpg

osan
12-17-2014, 05:06 PM
Market forces FTW!!

The Gauleiter of New York City and his troupe of clowns might as well try to repeal the Law of Gravity ...

Having grown up in NYC, I always saw people buying nails one and two at a time. It was never any big deal. Hell, until reading this I didn't even know it was illegal.

I have to laugh because back in the 70s and 80s NYC was characterized as being so horrible a place. Now, it is all corporate glitz and I see it as being far and away more horrid than it ever was back in those days. Back then I could walk the streets of virtually any neighborhood and be left to my devices. Now, I wonder whether the crooked cops are going to put their little piggy noses in my business. It's ridiculous. Progressivism runs amok in NYC these days as it never did before. A really pathetic spectacle it is to see so many people deeply in love with their de-facto slavery. They brag about being "progressive". They love their chains and manacles. They love their masters and they become literally dangerous when the status quo is threatened. I spend a large part of my life watching this disease spread like the most virulent and aggressive cancer imaginable. I can no longer fathom how any self-respecting man can live there without feeling his thoughts driven to contemplate suicide by any means available just to make existence stop. But I guess it's different strokes for different folks, and I am fine with that. What is not fine is the fact that most of those whipped dogs want their well-armed masters to force me to live as they wish me to.

Such people scare me. Look in their empty eyes and you see why. The shadow is all over them and their faces show it in the creepiest way imaginable. Couple that with the words they use, the tone in their voices, and you know how it was that men such as Stalin and Mao were able to do what they did.

DamianTV
12-17-2014, 05:34 PM
Lets be clear here, making anything illegal only creates a Black Market for it.

Once something is made illegal, that Black Market may very well thrive even more so than if it were legal. Problem is that public opinion is manufactured to hate cigarettes to the point that any violence that results is justified. But by making cigarettes illegal, it will enable far more violence. What happened to Eric Garner could not have legally happened without first making it illegal for Eric Garner to survive as he did. The violence against Eric was legitamized because the manufacured opinion and the unjust laws hide behind the excuse of committing said violence "for your own good".

This is how the Police State comes to exist. This is how the Police State comes to stay.

Eric Garner never had a chance against those who hide the true injustices from themselves by falsely legitamizing their actions behind the "for your own good" philosophy. Yet, due to the manufactured opinion of "make tobacco illegal", the people are forced to choose between the lesser of two evils, the violence committed against him, or the danger of legalizing tobacco. I fear that too many people will choose to not acknowledge the law itself as the true source of violence and will stop short at condemning the actions of the cops who were "just following orders", and not address the Law itself, the true enabler of this man's death.

presence
12-17-2014, 07:11 PM
They brag about being "progressive". They love their chains and manacles. They love their masters and they become literally dangerous when the status quo is threatened. I spend a large part of my life watching this disease spread like the most virulent and aggressive cancer imaginable.

So true... I used to enjoy visiting NYC in the early 90's. Now its all ticket and tax; restroom for customers only. Bridges that were $1 to cross are now $10 or more.

Lets be clear here, making anything illegal only creates a Black Market for it.

Bingo.

enhanced_deficit
01-01-2015, 02:23 PM
That is not right.

jmdrake
01-01-2015, 02:42 PM
http://i.imgur.com/gbY228C.jpg

Awesome photoshop!

torchbearer
01-01-2015, 02:48 PM
When the guy bought the cigarettes, he paid the tax.
He sold loosies to poor people who couldn't afford a full pack with tax pre-paid cigarettes.
Don't stand between a liberal and his taxes or you will get killed.

jmdrake
01-01-2015, 03:47 PM
When the guy bought the cigarettes, he paid the tax.
He sold loosies to poor people who couldn't afford a full pack with tax pre-paid cigarettes.
Don't stand between a liberal and his taxes or you will get killed.

He allegedly bought and sold the cigarettes. He never received a trial for this except by NY's finest. That said, if he bought the cigs in New York then the tax was already paid right? If I was going to do this for black market profit I would buy the cigarettes in some jurisdiction with a lower tax and then sell the loosies. Anyway, I didn't even know bootleg cigarettes were a law enforcement issue until Eddie Murphy taught me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hk-_4vierus

torchbearer
01-01-2015, 03:54 PM
He allegedly bought and sold the cigarettes. He never received a trial for this except by NY's finest. That said, if he bought the cigs in New York then the tax was already paid right? If I was going to do this for black market profit I would buy the cigarettes in some jurisdiction with a lower tax and then sell the loosies. Anyway, I didn't even know bootleg cigarettes were a law enforcement issue until Eddie Murphy taught me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hk-_4vierus

Lethal force is behind all laws, even taxes.