PDA

View Full Version : TN City Bans Negative Social Media Comments About City Government, Employees, Contractors

BarryDonegan
12-16-2014, 01:07 PM
http://benswann.com/tn-city-bans-negative-social-media-comments-about-city-government-employees-contractors/

At a December city commission meeting in South Pittsburg, TN, commissioners voted 4 to 1 to enact a policy forcing city contractors, employees, elected officials, and anyone doing business in any capacity with the city to sign an agreement stating that they will not make any negative comments on social media about the city or its employees, elected officials, and contractors.

ZENemy
12-16-2014, 01:12 PM
“Once a government is committed to the principle of silencing the voice of opposition, it has only one way to go, and that is down the path of increasingly repressive measures, until it becomes a source of terror to all its citizens and creates a country where everyone lives in fear.”— Harry Truman

acptulsa
12-16-2014, 01:13 PM
Exactly the sort of speech even the SCOTUS agrees the First Amendment is there to protect.

Wonder if South Pittsburg can afford Supreme Court-quality lawyers. Wonder if they're stupid enough to blow their resources on the same.

euphemia
12-16-2014, 01:41 PM
That's near Chattanooga and they were always a little strange. Their great claim to fame is the largest fireworks superstore in the world or something like that.

roho76
12-16-2014, 01:44 PM
Exactly the sort of speech even the SCOTUS agrees the First Amendment is there to protect.

Wonder if South Pittsburg can afford Supreme Court-quality lawyers. Wonder if they're stupid enough to blow their resources on the same.

I'm sure they can afford it not sure if the tax payers can. They will spare no expense silencing their opposition.

Anti Federalist
12-16-2014, 02:06 PM
Wait a minute...this applies to employees and contractors.

Why can't they force you to shut up on FedBook?

I thought the agreed upon position here was that an employer can pretty much demand anything of you, and if you don't like it, fuck off and hit the road.

HOLLYWOOD
12-16-2014, 02:07 PM
Pay to Play...

You want government contracts and taxpayer's money, you will shut up and kiss the emperor's feet(government). Government takes all the control and zero responsibility for their failures/incompetence/negligence.

Sounds about right... :rolleyes:

CPUd
12-16-2014, 02:41 PM
There's like 50 people living in S. Pittsburg.

Christian Liberty
12-16-2014, 02:57 PM
Wait a minute...this applies to employees and contractors.

Why can't they force you to shut up on FedBook?

I thought the agreed upon position here was that an employer can pretty much demand anything of you, and if you don't like it, fuck off and hit the road.

Actually, I just noticed it said doing business WITH the city, not WITHIN it. Even still, they're operating with public money... stolen money... That matters.

limequat
12-16-2014, 03:44 PM
Meh, pretty sure I would get fired if I bitched about my employer on facebook.

DamianTV
12-16-2014, 04:41 PM
Popular Speech will never need the protections afforded by the First Amendment.

Unpopular Speech is exactly why the First Amendment is our most important Amendment, above even our critically precious 2nd Amendment. Our 2nd Amendment is a Backup Plan to the First Amendment.

BarryDonegan
12-16-2014, 05:06 PM
Forcing elected officials to sign a contract banning them from criticizing government or other elected officials has the effect of forcing everyone to agree with the mayor and the majority on the board, as any opposition that emerges will inevitably be accused of violating the rule.

DamianTV
12-16-2014, 05:21 PM
Opinions are NOT Crimes.

Expressing those Opinions is NOT a Crime. In fact, it is considered to be our most important Right and Responsibility.

These fucks that want to ban the Expression of Opinions ought take a good long hard look at themselves and think well about whether or not there is a legitimate reason that people would express a negative opinion of them to begin with.

If they refuse to acknowledge their own faults and failures, then what they are trying to legalize is a Violation of the Constitutional Rights of the Individual by taking the step that we all have known in some form is coming, actual Thought Crimes bearing such a Label.

Thought Criminal = Terrorist

Disobedient = Terrorist

Difference of Opinion with Govt Official = Terrorist

Hate who you are told to hate and become violent with those who do not, will not, or can not submit themsevles into total submission. Hate your other Mundanes for whatever reason you are given and follow the Flock of Sheeple, lest they are the ones to nip and bite at you. They will be the ones to point out to the Sheepleherders that said sheep needs to be dealt with quickly and severely.