PDA

View Full Version : McConnell Addresses Rand's Dual Presidental/Senate Run

presence
12-14-2014, 01:43 PM
Tube at source

McConnell: Paul faces "tough challenge" Politics (http://www.courier-journal.com/blog/politics/)
James R. Carroll, The Courier-Journal 7:01 a.m. EST December 12, 2014
http://www.gannett-cdn.com/-mm-/b7b0ec19e6b86fee8499baf2eaad50228e09958c/c=33-0-252-165&r=x404&c=534x401/local/-/media/2014/12/11/Louisville/Louisville/635538932107294514-McConnell-at-Politico-conference.jpg
(Photo: Politico)

WASHINGTON - Running for president and the Senate at the same time in Kentucky would be a "tough challenge" for Rand Paul, according to Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell.
Paul has not yet decided whether to seek the White House, but he already has announced that he is running for re-election to the Senate from Kentucky. His problem: in most cases, state law bars a candidate from running for more than one office.
"It is one of the things Senator Paul has to grapple with in trying to figure out what the way forward is," McConnell said Wednesday, appearing at a conference on leadership hosted by Politico.
McConnell said he would back his fellow Kentuckian in a presidential bid.
"Obviously, I'm going to support somebody from my home state," the senator said.
McConnell said Paul was very supportive and helpful to him in his recent re-election campaign.
"We have a close relationship. We didn't start out that way, but we've ended up being big allies," McConnell said.
The Senate majority leader come January, McConnell said Paul is appealing to many audiences the GOP traditionally hasn't reached.

But the ballot law has to be dealt with, the senator said.
"It's a tough challenge in Kentucky. We have a very early filing deadline, late January. The Iowa caucuses start, I think, in February now," McConnell said. "If that weren't bad enough, after you're the nominee (in Kentucky), the only way to get off the ballot is to be dead or be declared insane by a judge."
Paul and his advisers have said a decision on whether to run for president will come in the early part of next year.
Paul's camp also has not settled on how to handle the issue of running for two offices. But among the options being studied is changing how GOP convention delegates from Kentucky are selected. The Republican Party of Kentucky could dump the primary system and substitute a state convention or a caucus system instead, thus avoiding any conflict with state law.

http://www.courier-journal.com/story/politics-blog/2014/12/11/sen-mitch-mcconnell-rand-paul-running-for-2-offices-is-tough-challenge/20243415/

Brett85
12-14-2014, 07:14 PM
"If that weren't bad enough, after you're the nominee (in Kentucky), the only way to get off the ballot is to be dead or be declared insane by a judge."

I don't see how that's ever going to work then. I think Rand would be better off just running for President and endorsing Thomas Massie for the Senate seat.

philipped
12-15-2014, 09:15 AM
Thomas Massie 4 Senate.